Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Next age changes

Smile Next age changes

Any minds and thoughts about next age changes? Personally I think the setup for current age is just nice especially no attacking time penalty during war.

still... I'm sure there's a lot of change that need to be mend... how about giving Dark Elf no rune cost and access to fort?

:-)

Director of Age Changes
    There are some good suggestions ... in the suggestions forum!
    But I do agree DE blows. Orc kinda' sucks too because plague>-50% wages imo.
    Last edited by Avenger; 25-07-2009 at 16:32.
    Discord: Hex | IRC: Hextor / Avenger

Zero changes.
    Zero 'balancing.'
    Zero 'crazy ideas.'

Zero delay.
    Just get summer over and done with.
    Catwalk's crusade for legalized cheating was a stunning success, with ghettos and low-tiered teams everywhere losing their wells of knowledge to better kingdoms in the process.

Step one: replace everything that works.
    Step two: blame the predictable epic fail on outside forces.
    Step three: keep the community informed that no progress has been made since the last update.
    Step four: thank you for your patience.

Make some wild changes!

Omac has never seen a dynamic Utopia and should learn what people found appealing. How else can they know how to attract new people and what better age could it be than a shortie extra? :)

Better and worse ideas just to get the thought through:
    * uncapped sci
    * uncapped honor
    * double-triple buildings (% * 1 to % * 2 or even % * 3)
    Quote Originally Posted by vines View Post
    It worked well for me. People don't like it because they can't run their cities the way I can.
    LIFETIME PATRON

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by VT2 View Post
    Zero changes.
    Zero 'balancing.'
    Zero 'crazy ideas.'

Zero delay.
    Just get summer over and done with.
    Well, if you want that, why not just extend the age?
    #strategy

Proud member of the 'I joined these forums before DylanC' club

Postaholic
    Quote Originally Posted by tzar View Post
    Well, if you want that, why not just extend the age?
    Because people voted for the age to end?!

But on topic, maybe get OMAC to use some old age?

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mourhelm View Post
    Because people voted for the age to end?!
    Well... yeah, and with each new age, there are changes. Or is that not how it's supposed to work?

Just ending the age without making any changes seems pointless

Especially when there are changes that need to be made
    #strategy

Proud member of the 'I joined these forums before DylanC' club

Quote Originally Posted by Mourhelm View Post
    But on topic, maybe get OMAC to use some old age?
    If possible ages 11-15 would be awsome! Or before hodf age-10 when there were boats, 5-9 somewhere? If they do this, they shouldn't tell which age, esp not <=10, because then people look in hall of fame and see what loophole to exploit ;P
    It worked well for me. People don't like it because they can't run their cities the way I can.
    LIFETIME PATRON

Postaholic
    Quote Originally Posted by tzar View Post
    Well... yeah, and with each new age, there are changes. Or is that not how it's supposed to work?

Just ending the age without making any changes seems pointless

Especially when there are changes that need to be made
    Don't get me wrong, I do expect to see changes.

@Ratty - I was thinking more in the lines of an age that requires small amount of coding. Getting boats back is way too much work.
    Last edited by Mourhelm; 25-07-2009 at 20:04.

Regular
    * uncapped honor

You mean like the age HODF took over the world? =)

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
    If possible ages 11-15 would be awsome! Or before hodf age-10 when there were boats, 5-9 somewhere? If they do this, they shouldn't tell which age, esp not <=10, because then people look in hall of fame and see what loophole to exploit ;P
    Boats, I remember those. big problem when they got sunk so easily though =\

@ Mourhelm

Recapturing lost ages has been attempted before (only once i believe), and the predictability throughout the age was beyond monotonous.

@ All

One of the most simple changes possible that would vastly change game-play across the board is to allow buildings to count for what they should be (ie. instead of having a building do something at the rate of 1.5% then at 30% you only get 33%... yeah that craziness). One of the things that made this game great was the potential for wild-card building strategies ruling the age in the face of "forum approved" strategies; of which, we mostly no longer have, due to diminishing returns on building effectiveness at higher percentages. Newer players, mostly, don't understand these calculations, and frustrated when 'their cool idea' won't work.

Beyond that, let us know what the age changes are going to be.... PRE age change. It's not as if OMAC didn't have ample time to put at least that much together.
    When the nay-sayers pipe up with talk of exploitation through strategy and planning I'm reminded of a Jack Nickolson quote, "I think of a man, then I remove logic and reason from him"

Mourhelm->I realize that. I was thinking in case they have code saved... *backups?*

HT->Yes age 10 and also before that I believe. But I don't specifically want that, it's more example of a dynamic game but yes that's extreme ;P And I didn't play boats myself - I just know they were derely missed :)

SP->I agree, but the diminishing stuff is only part of dynamics problem. If they raised the X in %*X enough it would compensate. Like if we there were schools %*6 dim instead of the earlier %*4 nodim. But now it's %*2 dim so it doesn't matter much what you build... This is a problem in Utopia because only the most active kd (alliance?) wins and many others quit because they can't compete even if they are better.
    LIFETIME PATRON

Far as I know, Mehul just adjusted the current code and commented out the useless, no longer needed code or deleted it outright. As such, there is no backup saying age 10 or something like that.
    Dolgil Rosethorn
    If it's broke, fix it.
    If it's not, don't.
    If you do not like the results, change your methods.
    Quit making the same old mistakes. Make new ones.

Postaholic
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
    Mourhelm->I realize that. I was thinking in case they have code saved... *backups?*
    I remember reading somewhere, probably one of Mehul's interviews, that he never saved anything. Not the reasoning for why he made the changes he made and not backups of the code nor the old guides.

Quote Originally Posted by SillyPanda View Post
    Recapturing lost ages has been attempted before (only once i believe), and the predictability throughout the age was beyond monotonous.
    Reproducing an age from the past is practically impossible. However, taking the way buildings and races were setup is possible as some of the guides are were saved by the community. With all the other changes that were made the age will not be exactly the same and will not be as predictable.

Thread Information