Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gnome A/T

Regular
    No

Stables are slightly better for gnomes than other races for 2 reasons. Firstly you're best offence unit only has '5' offence so a horse adding +1 offence is equivilent to +20% off. Seconly, theres very little chance of anyone stealing your horses :).

I'd say about 10-15% homes is best for gnome. You have lower birth rate and higher casualties so you'll need the +birth rate from homes to keep your population healthy. Plus gnomes have better homes (population wise) than other races which makes them a solid choice.

Sir Postalot
    gnomes actually do very well with homes over stables =)
    once you get the pop sci requirements
    Deliverance -> secrets -> anzac -> mercy -> rage -> "ghetto"

Sir Postalot
    Quote Originally Posted by Spook290 View Post
    so from reading other threads... is it true that homes will offer me more offence/defence then stables?

would i b better off scratching 9% or so stables and putting in extra homes? especially with gnomes enhanced homes?
    Yeah, I'd go with homes. Will help the BE of other buildings as well, main drawback is just extra NW for CLOSE to the same military (your max OPA is ever so slightly higher with stables). Big plus is significantly better turtling power, and significantly higher defense when not ALL your troops are out, which is often. Another downside is econ.
    Last edited by flogger; 30-07-2009 at 00:05.

Sir Postalot
    Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    Yeah, I'd go with homes. Will help the BE of other buildings as well, main drawback is just extra NW for CLOSE to the same military (your max OPA is ever so slightly higher with stables). Big plus is significantly better turtling power, and significantly higher defense when not ALL your troops are out, which is often. Another downside is econ.
    actually, for a gnome, once you get ~4.5% pop sci (no honor), homes give same offensive increase as stables (assuming you draft the extra pop into elites)

10*1.15*1.045 = 12.01
    12.01*5 = 60

same offense as a stable provides...
    granted, stable gives a bit less nw, but the turtling power is worth it IMO

so 25% homes worth running as opposed to 15% and 10% stables
    also, any suggestion's to draft rate to be running?

also thanks for help so far

Sir Postalot
    so 25% homes worth running as opposed to 15% and 10% stables
    also, any suggestion's to draft rate to be running?

also thanks for help so far
    im a bit worried that you have the land to dedicate to 25% homes/stables
    draft rate should be high 68-72, when going into a conflict, can be 62-66 when OOW

Sir Postalot
    Quote Originally Posted by _greenie View Post
    actually, for a gnome, once you get ~4.5% pop sci (no honor), homes give same offensive increase as stables (assuming you draft the extra pop into elites)

10*1.15*1.045 = 12.01
    12.01*5 = 60

same offense as a stable provides...
    granted, stable gives a bit less nw, but the turtling power is worth it IMO
    Forgot to factor in the 15% with the 10 bonus. Honor makes this even more significant, esp as gnomes generally can have some sort of honor bump.

Sir Postalot
    Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    Forgot to factor in the 15% with the 10 bonus. Honor makes this even more significant, esp as gnomes generally can have some sort of honor bump.
    no i didnt....

homes give +10 pop
    10 * 1.15 (gnome) * 1.045 (science)

Sir Postalot
    Quote Originally Posted by _greenie View Post
    no i didnt....

homes give +10 pop
    10 * 1.15 (gnome) * 1.045 (science)
    I meant I forgot.

also, seeing though homes appear better then stables...would stables be better with TG? especially with the little threat of them being stolen, as around 15% TG will give 18% bonus while 10% or so stables will provide 20% more offence for the elites, without BE taking any part of it (correct me if im wrong :P )

Sir Postalot
    also, seeing though homes appear better then stables...would stables be better with TG? especially with the little threat of them being stolen, as around 15% TG will give 18% bonus while 10% or so stables will provide 20% more offence for the elites, without BE taking any part of it (correct me if im wrong :P )
    10% stables will horse 6 elites per acre
    so, unless you are only planning on running 36 raw opa, stables arent better than TG's
    Last edited by _greenie; 31-07-2009 at 11:20.

alrighty, thanks greenie, TG's look good then =)

I'm new, so my numbers below will be wrong, perhaps ludicrously so. Any help would be appreciated.

Gnome/Rogue A/T

Homes: 10%
    Farms: 8%
    Dens: 20%
    TG: 15%
    Guilds: 10%
    Towers: 7%
    Rax: 10%
    Banks: 10%
    Forts: 10%

Homes - There seem to be varying opinions on the usefulness of Homes. Given that I'm a Halfer, I've decided to go with 10% and initially pump Pop sci up to 4.5%.

Farms - Is 8% too much? To little? I can always steal food, but I'd rather not have to do so every day.

TG - I've read that, given how few horses per acre I'm likely to get, these are a better investment than Stables.

Guilds/Towers - I've never been an attacker, so I don't know if this is too many/too little. As long as I can keep my defensive spells up and cast Quick Feet for each attack, I'll be happy.

Barracks - After factoring in Quick Feet, I'm not sure if this number is correct.

Banks - Would this land be better served with a different kind of building?

Forts - Defensive bonus.

I also lack the experiential knowledge to know how many raw military units per acre I need. Any suggestions would be helpful.

With 10% homes my population averages out to 26/acre
    Draft Rate: 68% - 18 military/8 peasants per acre
    Elites per Acre - 6
    Defspecs per Acre - 6
    Thieves per Acre - 6

Wizards per Acre - 2

That leaves me with a total of 18 military, 2 wizards, and 6 peasants per acre. Is that enough? Too much? Should I reduce or boost any one particular unit?
    Last edited by Adian; 31-07-2009 at 19:39.

The main reason to even consider picking gnome is so you can zergrush people with hordes of weak units, horses, and thieves.
    If you're going with it, run high homes.

'High homes' doesn't mean '45% or bust!' like vines and friends recommend.

If you're new, I recommend you play human, or give the upgraded dark elf a try.
    Chocolate elf is now back to being newbie friendly, so use it while it lasts.
    Catwalk's crusade for legalized cheating was a stunning success, with ghettos and low-tiered teams everywhere losing their wells of knowledge to better kingdoms in the process.

Step one: replace everything that works.
    Step two: blame the predictable epic fail on outside forces.
    Step three: keep the community informed that no progress has been made since the last update.
    Step four: thank you for your patience.

Sir Postalot
    Quote Originally Posted by VT2 View Post
    The main reason to even consider picking gnome is so you can zergrush people with hordes of weak units, horses, and thieves.
    If you're going with it, run high homes.

'High homes' doesn't mean '45% or bust!' like vines and friends recommend.

If you're new, I recommend you play human, or give the upgraded dark elf a try.
    Chocolate elf is now back to being newbie friendly, so use it while it lasts.
    just out of curiousity... is it just the lack of hosps you dont like about gnomes?

Thread Information