Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Skysail Treasure Co.

The Skysail Treasure Co.

“When is the last time you ate young man? You look famished? All bones and no meat, you should take better care of yourself. How are you going to get a pretty wife if you can’t even provide for yourself Gabriel?” Lady Deidra’s concerned words reminded him of a pigeon’s incessant cooing. One of the side effects of becoming old and being lonely.

He locked his private thoughts behind the charming facade he wore for any client, “No need to worry yourself over my well-being, I simply skipped breakfast today, not wanting to keep you apart from your mementos any longer than you’ve already suffered m’lady,” the smile he gave her was spun of golden thread.

Ignoring Gabe’s attempt to refocus the conversation, she went right back on her assault, “Young man!” she seemed genuinely astonished, “Did your mother not raise you right? Breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day! I’ll have something prepared for you before you make yourself sick.”

“That’s really not necessary,” but it was too late, she was already scurrying towards the kitchen. He groaned as he rested his forehead between his thumb and forefinger.

“You always had a way with women Gabe. I wonder if this one won’t want to keep you all for herself.”

Sparing his partner an acknowledging glance he snorted, “Many, much more... insistent... than her have tried my dear Sephara, and yet, here I am.”

“I suppose I shouldn’t dare to hope then?”

This time he fully turned back towards here to deliver his reply to her jab, “My dear, you should always have hope. Just don’t expect it to come true,” he said with a wink.

-o0o-

It took the better part of the morning and forcing down some form of overly cardboard-like porridge, but eventually Gabe and Sephara left Lady Deidra’s home minus a set of ornamental statuettes, family heirlooms, that had recently been stolen from her. There was nothing better than the feel of money in your hands after a job was finished. To celebrate he tossed the pouch into the air a few times just so he could feel the full weight of the coins smack against his hand.

Coral’s harbour was like many cities on the continent filled with abandoned and rotting sea ships. A few, were still well kept, though most were fishing vessels. The advent of airships and been the death of sea transport, and that death was still fresh enough to see. Sea ports had already been built by cities near water, so most had simply refitted them to handle airships and saved the expense of having to build new warehouses. Cities farther inland weren’t so fortunate. Ghost towns were frequent. They were towns that were too poor to afford to build ports for airships saw a mass exodus of their populations, another relic of a not so distant past.

Death was balanced by birth. Cities swelled in numbers as air travel made transport easier and faster, and some would say, safer, although the last was a great point of contention. No one aboard a falling airship would agree.

Captain Gabriel Solomon breathed the sweet, fresh air. In this new world he was a pioneer – Captain of the Requiem Dawn, leader of its crew, and private businessman. He had founded the Skysail Treasure Co. with dreams of fortune. As he and his First Mate, Sephara Na, approached their home he read the sign the always from the side of the ship while they were docked.

------------------------------

WELCOME TO THE SKYSAIL TREASURE CO.

The Skysail Treasure Co. is the only, and therefore premiere, Treasure Company in these lands. Our ships locate, transport, and recover treasure anywhere and everywhere. If:

• You know the whereabouts or can provide accurate and valuable information about a treasure, see our representatives about entering into a contract with our company. We’ll front the costs and provide all the manpower and equipment necessary while you sit back, relax, and enjoy your commission.
    • You have lost, misplaced, or had treasure stolen from you, we can recover it.
    • You have treasure you need to ship; we can provide safe and speedy delivery to any location.

Unique to the Skysail Treasure Co. is the opportunity for every employee to be an equal shareholder. Joining one of our crews means becoming an equal stakeholder in any enterprises your ship undertakes. The rewards are big, but so are the dangers. Speak to a representative if you are interested to see what positions are currently available.

Our Basic Rules of Flying:

1. Try to stay in the middle of the sky. Do not go near the edges. Edges of the sky can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees, and the infinite beyond. It is much more difficult to fly there.
    2. A good landing is one you can walk away from. A great landing is one in which you can use the ship again.
    3. The only time an airship has too much rum on board is when it is on fire.
    4. Arguing with a Sky Captain is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After a while you realize the pig likes it.
    5. There are NO atheists on turbulent airships.

------------------------------

“Well it’s still mostly true,” he thought out loud.

“Brooding about your unfulfilled dreams again Gabe?” Sephara mused as she passed him and went up the gangplank.

“No, just my unfulfilled pockets my dear.”

“Don’t be so glum. We just finished a job.”

“Right,” he replied, looking down at the pouch. “Keep ten for resupplying the ship and give the rest to the crew. Once the ship’s clean they’re free for the rest of the day. Tell them not to spend it all on whores and booze though,” he threw it at her.

“Aye sir,” she smiled and snatched the pouch out the air. After a year this was still the only ship his company owned. The jobs had been small, and mostly boring, but had kept them in the sky and free, which was, he supposed, a treasure in its own way.

“Capn’,” a young girl’s voice called from above. “That bloke Tanner came by bout an hour back. Reckon he wants ta talk ta ya bout a job.”

“Oh, what makes you say that?” he asked.

“Said he wanted ta talk ta ya bout a job.” Gabe rolled his eyes. Good help could be hard to fine.

“Ah, I see,” he said with a patronizing smile, “Thank you for telling me. I’ll go see him right away.”

He turned to leave but was stopped abruptly by the girl’s next sentence, “He mentioned somethin’ bout somethin’ called Shandalaar? Dunno what that is. Said ya know what he meant by it though.”

In the back of his head he could hear her footsteps fade away across the ship, but he was frozen in place, unable to move at the utterance of a single name...

“Shandalaar...” he whispered to no one but the wind. His sight returned to what was immediately in front of him, and he began his hustled walk through the city of Coral to Tanner’s Lair.

Welcome & Thread Info

Welcome to what I hope is a jump start to all our activity. Standard rules apply of course, and I’ll be sure to point out anything that’s not kosher.

This thread has one aim: to have fun! Most of my previous creations had been of the serious variety, so I thought a nice change of pace was in order ^_^ I’m looking forward to the adventures.

My only other rule: WRITE LESS & POST OFTEN. To keep everyone engaged I’m forbidding the posting of those long, overly wordy, professional-esque posts we’re all so fond of. It’s back to basics. That said, 2 or 3 sentence posts aren’t what I’m after either. A solid 2 or 3 paragraphs is a safe bet.

We'll just use the one thread, so be sure to indicate any OOC conversation in your posts.

CHARACTER SHEETS

I usually fore go these, but as I’m aiming for a return to our roots, I’m bringing back character sheets ^_^ I actually find them very useful as a permanent reference for everyone. Here’s what you need:

Name:
    Race:
    Profession:
    Description:
    Personality:
    Special Abilities:*
    History:*
    Race/Tribe:*

The * are optional ^_^
    For Race/Tribe, if you are something that isn’t a standard fantasy creation, or if you want to be a particular kind of human, a Nomadic Herding tribe for example, please give a brief description of the society and culture for us. Nothing big, just the need to know stuff.

THE STORY

The world is undeveloped on purpose, so we can all have a say to make it what we want. I’ve created our starting place, the city-state of Coral, and beyond that feel free. Our adventures take place on board the Requiem Dawn, and of course, given the description of the business, all types of skill sets are needed, so be creative.

To get us going, I have our first quest, and I will be the primary GM for now. However, I want all players to add to the plot, so don’t be surprised if I occasionally have our Captain asking our crew, “So, what should we do next?” Ok, maybe a bit more eloquently than that, but you get the drift. Think of how you can contribute and don’t be afraid to step up.

I encourage active side plots at all times, however, if you want to introduce one that has the chance to really disrupt the current plot track, I’d ask that you run it by me or whomever the GM happens to be before introducing it.

I envision most of the story revolving around the travels of the Requiem Dawn. You’ll need to have 1 character on board the ship, others can be elsewhere, but it is up to you to work them into the story if not part of the crew.

THE REQUIEM DAWN

There are 6 official positions on the ship. Most are self explanatory. The Mage is just that. The Shipsail Treasure Co. ensures each of its ships has at least 1 mage on board. The engineer will also be granted the wonderful responsibility of designing the airship flight system (i.e. how the ships fly ^_^)

Captain – Gabriel Solomon (Ge)
    First Mate – Sephara Na (Ge)
    Pilot - Archamae de'Cailleach (Ph) & Ari Engstöm (Ph)
    Doctor - Jade Alexander (So)
    Ship's Ghost - Jasper Alexander (So)
    Cook/Trader - Aram (Da)
    Mages - Cyradis (Sh) & Cailey Malehn (Dr)
    Fighters - Drice Malehn (Dr), Kaltor Greycloak (NPC), & Wintrow (NPC)
    Wanderers - Arlen Vegough (Re), LaRire Amiri (Mi), & Rama Morell du Karatam (Be)
    Engineer - Xavier Lance Calvine (NPC)
    Priestess - Amateira Tsumè (Zr)
    Rogues - Garin Wiljatai (Re)

Some unofficial positions that can be used as inspiration:

Combat Officer
    Cook
    Carpenter
    Thief/Rogue

Post your character sheet and, once approved, start writing! If you're part of the crew already, you have shore leave, which means free time, and if you want to join the crew, I suggest making sure you do so ^_^ As I want to set a rather good pace I'll be trying to get us back in the air by Sun/Mon at the latest.

LOCATIONS & GEOGRAPHY

The Occident - the western continent
    The Dominian Empire - powerful military and magitech dominant
    Caildonia - capitol of Dominia
    Acacia
    Juvaro
    Gebron - an agriculturally rich valley city-state
    Emiru - a roaming plains tribe in the west

The Orient - the eastern continent
    The Crimson Sun Confederacy - political and economic powerhouse
    Veyldor - capitol of the Confederacy
    Coral - southwestern coastal city, unofficial home of the Skysail Treasure Co.
    Last edited by Geco; 27-02-2010 at 21:13.

Dramatis Personae

Name: Gabriel Solomon
    Race: Human
    Profession: Captain of the Requiem Dawn
    Description: Gabe is fair-skinned with golden brown hair. An absence of wrinkles and gray hair make him look a lot younger than he really is. His hair is always messy, with pointy bangs that swoop across his forehead. Unable to grow a proper beard he maintains an “adequate” amount of facial hair which he believes gives him a sort of boyish-rugged-roguish charm.
    Personality: An entertaining and bit eccentric sailor, Gabe’s free spirit keeps him on the move and searching for new things. He likes to come off as debonair and even aristocratic, and prefers wit to swords. He is a self described lover, not a fighter. Crossing the law is almost a past time with Gabe, although aboard his ship he expects his own rules to be followed. He is very loyal and hides his softer, compassionate side.

Name: Sephara Na
    Race: Human – Emiru
    Profession: First Mate
    Description: Sephara looks and even walks like a dancer. She is strikingly and dangerously beautiful, or would be if she let down her cold exterior. She has straight daffodil blonde hair with light browns swaths. Tall and muscular, he presence is imposing. A square jaw and dark eyes give her an even fiercer look.
    Personality: Almost an exact opposite to Gabe, Sephara is much more private and introverted. Gabe seems to be the only person she opens up around. Hey loyalty to him is unquestionable, and she carries a great sense of pride about who she is. Quite serious and not one to cross, she doesn’t take to childishness or incompetence.
    Special Abilities: Amongst her people Sephara was a Serafmiru – a Spirit Dancer. Through rituals she has the ability to commune with the spirits around her and drawn on their powers.
    Race/Tribe: The Emiru are a tribe of humans who live on the northwestern plains. They prefer to live secluded from civilization where they are free to be in harmony with nature and worship nature’s spirits.

Post Fiend
    Name: Jade Alexander
    Profession: Doctor/Healer
    Description: Jade has long black hair and green eyes. She is lightly build and a bit taller than the average woman. Her alabaster skin doesn't seem to tan, no matter how long she is out in the sun.
    Personality: Jade is both very theoretical and practical. She has taught herself in the arts of healing, both from reading as well as experimenting(mostly on herself). Feels very guilty about the death of Jasper.
    Special Abilities:* Is a very good doctor/healer not afraid of mixing healing earbs with more modern techniques. Not a fighter, but she can be quite dangerous swith a knife if you get too close.
    Can see and communicate with Jasper as if he was still alive.

Name: Jasper Alexander
    Race: Spirit (Human)
    Profession: Protector of Jade
    Description: The male image of Jade with short black spiky hair and more muscular built. Most of the time invisible to the normal eye, but sometimes if he focuses enough he might appear as a translucent being. If other people than Jade shall hear him he needs to focus extra as well.
    Personality: Has always been a bit overly protective of Jade. He has grown a bit detached to the human life after his death.
    Special Abilities:* Can while drawing energy from his twinsister become a solid human again, able to touch objects (and fight), but since he is already dead he cannot be harmed. However this draws a lot of energy from Jade, especially if he gets injured in any way, which can result in anything from fainting to physical injury on her body.

History (Shared):* Jasper gave his life for Jade's, and Jade did in return everything that she could to save him. Somehow, which no one can really explain, instead of moving on to the next plane Jasper stayed on earth, connected with his twin sister.

OOC: I hope that this idea can work. My idea was that Sephara and Jade would be the only ones that could actually see him, unless he focuses or lends strength from his sister. Kinda like the resident ghost :)
    Last edited by SoHee; 19-08-2009 at 15:43.

Regular
    Name: Leontes
    Profession: Blacksmith
    Description: Short and stocky, Leontes is balding and has green eyes like his son. Never seen without his leather apron, or without being covered head to toe in soot, Leontes is rarely found outside if his house or shop.
    Personality: At first introduction, Leontes seems gruff and unfriendly. The truth is that metalworking is Leontes true love and he has little time for anything else.
    Special Abilities: Mastercrafting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Name: Aram
    Profession: Offship - Decoy/Diplomat
    Onship - Cook/Entertainment
    Description: A handsome man by most standards, Aram is tall and slender. With bright green eyes and chestnut brown locks, Aram combines his looks with his pleasent personality to charm most anyone off their game. While not a fighter by any means, Aram is agile enough to escape any foes who aren't effected by his talents.
    Personality: Charming, polite, with a sense of humor; Aram is almost unseen when being himself. However, when adopting a role Aram changes to suit whats needed from flirty to obnoxious to threatening.
    Special Abilities: Aram is very, very talented as a musician. With his music, he has been known to enthrall an audience to allow his companions access to restricted areas. He is also a talented actor and has a way with words. Few can resist his deviled tongue.

Combined History:

About ten years ago, Leontes had just moved to Coral with his son after his wife died. Leontes had wanted Aram to become a blacksmith like his father, but soon it was revealed that Aram had little ability with metal. What they did find out was Arams ability with people. Soon Arams negotiating and Leontes product made the pair fairly wealthy.

Two years later an occurance happened that would change the lives of the pair forever. One day Leontes was working in his shop when a pair of characters stormed into his shop. Pleading for a place to hide, Leontes took pity on the terrified looking pair and hid them in the back of the shop. After the attackers passed by the house, Leontes led the pair into the house where they introduced themselves as members of Skysail Treasures Inc.

Move ahead to the present, Leontes has become the major supplier of blacksmithing needs of the STC and Aram a charter member of the Requiem Dawn.

~~~~~~~~

OOC: I left some of the history vague to be covered in character. The pair hiding in Leontes shop could be Gabriel and Sephara, one or the other, or a pair of unrelated workers from a different crew.

Hope the char bios are okay. Any changes needed, let me know.
    Last edited by Darlok; 22-08-2009 at 07:56.

Hi.

Name: Cyradis
    Race: Human - Kell
    Profession: Mage
    Description: Silvery blonde hair and purple eyes. She's short for her age at around 5'4" and quite petite.
    Personality: Cyradis is soft spoken and gentle, even timid at times, but isn't afriad to speak up if she feels it's needed. Her talents for the arcane have earned her a respectable noteriety among her colleagues, but she believes her skills are average.
    Special Abilities: She excells at the manipulation of gravity and magnetic forces. The effects are invisible, but the results can range from repelling projectiles to crushing steel. She has no qualms about using her magic to defend herself or her shipmates, and is not particularly guilty about having killed pirates and other similar thieving types.
    History: Cyradis, like all young Kellan women, was tested at a very early age to determine her aptitude in magic. Unlike most in her tribe, however, her ability to influence gravity and magnetism earned her a place among a very limited number of other who managed to accomplish the same task after decades of study. Although not inept at more common schools of magic (fire, ice, etc), Cyradis feels her calling is to expand her knowledge of the gifts with which she was born. Despite being offered residency at renowned mage acadamies throughout the world, Cyradis has found that the Requiem Dawn is a suitable environment for her to study, as well as broaden her horizons and perhaps her knowledge base.
    Race/Tribe: The Kell are a mystical sort of people who are known for thier raising of gifted magi, enchanters, sorcerers and virtually any other type of practicioner of the supernatural. In the distant past, empires and kingdoms have attempted to conquor thier small, secluded valley, but were met with inexplicable bad weather, famine and disease. They have lived in peace with other tribes and soverignties for about 300 years now, as it were.
    Last edited by Shari Tana; 20-08-2009 at 08:29.
    "I am the brightest light, for I am darkness. I know everything, for I know nothing. I am a container, brimming with emotion, for I am empty."
    --Bebedora, Arc the Lad

"Intelligence is the key, and she is locked out." - Josh Sneed, in reference to his ex.

OOC: Accepted, accepted, and accepted. Glad to have you all aboard ^_^ Minor note, the Requiem Dawn is the only ship in the fleet. The sign is made to give the impression that it's a big company, but Gabe is the owner and sole captain :p Was trying for a bit of humour there.

SoHee: Sounds good. It's a cool idea. Sephara of course won't be able to see him all the time, unless she's performed a ritual, but will definitely be able to sense him and maybe hear if she's concentrating.

Darlok: I like that, it'll be a cool back story to fill in between our chars.

Shari: I thought you disappeared I hadn't seen you around in quite a while ^_^ some powerful magic, but of course I trust you.

For any future joiners, some actual fighters would probably come in handy ^_^ haha Now let's get posting people!

IC:

“Well, well, well. If it isn’t Captain Gabriel Solomon that just came walking through my door.” Every time Gabe heard Tanner speak in his grated and raspy voice it made him wince a little. A sound like that made him wonder if something hadn’t crawled down the man’s throat and died.

“I heard you came to pay a visit while I wasn’t in,” Gabe was distracted momentarily by a half-naked girl that crossed his line of sight, “It would have been rude of me not to return the favour.”

Tanner shot him a wicked grin, “Cassie can bend her above her head. She’s our newest celebrity.”

“I didn’t come here for that,” he replied with a frown.

“Of course you didn’t. Step into my office,” he waved the Captain over, “We’ll talk business.” Nothing about Tanner’s Lair was normal. Dirt, dust, and foul smelling odours covered the interior, combined with lavish purple and gold chairs and the flowery perfumes worn by the merchandise. Gabe was pretty sure he even smelled blueberry pie. Despite all that, for a house of ill repute, it had a remarkable reputation.

Fred Tanner was your atypical small timer. Well, typical when you really thought about it – the only thing atypical about the man was that to date he hadn’t been caught. He ran the numbers game, pushed minor opiates, traded in the black market, and of course managed this brothel. They’d met during a poker game. After taking a decent chunk of his money and pride, Gabe had repaired the damage by wasting the winnings on getting them both very drunk. Being a treasure hunter meant knowing people and getting good leads, which was something Tanner had, and for a small cut on each job he gave him, the price was right and a fruitful partnership had been born.

Closing the door to the dimly lit office that smelled like some kind of bad liquor, Gabe wasted no more time than necessary, “Why did you mention Shandalaar?”

Again with the evil grin, “Can an offer you something to drink?” motioning towards a stash of golden brown liquids.

He nodded towards one in particular, “The Galacian Steel if you please.” Watching as Tanner unstopped the bottle his thoughts turned to the last time they drank together. Quickly he shook off the memory and refocused, “Shandalaar?”

“Why do you think,” Gabe could tell the man was enjoying himself, as if it was some kind of game.

He took the cup with obvious annoyance on his face, “If you wanted to see me about something you didn’t have to use my weak spot. I really don’t appreci-“

“Hahaha, is that how low you think of me? Of us? Aren’t we friends? Do you really think I’d be so cruel to a friend of mine?” There was feigned hurt in his voice.

“As much as I love our little get togethers, I have real business to attend to. So...”

“Alright alright!” he cried, “Gods man! Can’t you even let me enjoy myself at all can ya?” There was a pause as the little criminal sipped on his drink. Beads of the vintage stuck to his dark, coarse stubble. “You still looking for it?”

“Still looking for it? Shandalaar?” he sighed and sat down opposite from his friend, “Every time I look out on the horizon.”

“Well then I have good news for you. A man came by asking if I could put him in touch with an airship captain who’d be interested in a little adventuring. Said he wanted to look for Shandalaar.”

Gabe waited, expecting more, but when none came he merely chuckled, “That’s it! Some guy walks in off the street weaving fairytales about the long lost city of Shandalaar and you buy it hook line and sinker.”

Tanner shrugged, “Maybe. Maybe I thought he wasn’t your regular lunatic coming around and shooting his mouth off. Maybe I thought that this guy was holding something back. Maybe I realized the way he was talking was like he knew something, but didn’t want to share it. Too secretive. Like he wanted to start a rumour, that everyone would discard in a second, but who knew there had to be at least one die hard Captain out there who’d be lured by the promise of ancient treasures,” his eyes widened and he held open his hands, acting as if he was carrying bags then and there.

“Maybe you did?”

“Maybe,” he winked at the captain.

“Maybe you can put me in touch with this mysterious treasure seeker?”

“Maybe.”

The clink of glass on glass reverberated in his ears as they drank to their good fortune.

Character Sheet A-Go-Go!

Name: Xavier Lance Calvine (Goes by Cal, or by his pen-name, Arthur)

Race: He's definitely a human... maybe.

Profession: Engineer. And an author on the side, he uses this "profession" to keep notes of what's happening in case of a memory lapse.

Description: Pale-skinned with shoulder length purple hair. He claims his hair is natural but it's obvious he dyes it with berries of some kind. He is very well kept, wearing clothes that seem to cost more than he's worth. He has a five-o-clock shadow that always seems to be there no matter how much he shaves. He carries a satchel, slung over his shoulder, in which he keeps his writing supplies. He has a large, leather bound case that he carries, containing his tools and papers for blueprints. He never seems to be dirty, even when working in greasy conditions.

Personality: He is a very friendly, outgoing, albeit forgetful man. His memory faults come from a tragic, yet cliche accident involving an anvil during his studies at the engineering academy he attended. He has an affinity for tinkering, making oddities and even odder gadgets out of seemingly useless materials. He has no temper, and has a cool, calm demeanor despite any situations. (Except for maybe an Airship falling towards the ground while he's on it.) He is a bit awkward and nerdy, trying to keep up with the young kids lingo, and fails at it horrible.

Special Abilities: He excelled at engineering at the academy, having a natural knack for creation. He can take most materials (within reason) and make or fix just about anything he's working on. Unless of course it's something ridiculous like the flux capacitor on a time machine.

History: His history is fuzzy, but he keeps what he can written down to keep from forgetting it forever. It comes and goes, some days are worse than others. He was raised by a not-well-to-do but not-poor family in a small town called Vakyrlia (Vah-kur-lee-uh). He attended an engineering school and during the last year of study, an anvil fell from a shelf and crushed him, tragic. He awoke several weeks later in the hospital, chunks of his memory missing. He was sent home, and relearned about his past through worksheets, notes, pictures and books loaned to him by family, friends and the school. After reteaching himself about himself, he decided to take on a life of vagrant wandering; moving from city to city, writing about his experiences, and keeping notes of his memory as it comes and goes.

Race/Tribe:* Vakyrlian, a race of humans who are more like gnomes and dwarves. They are all naturally good at building and creating.

(This is my first post on the forums here, yay for me. I've been RPing on other sites and various games with the user "Vagrant" for several years now. The original concept behind this character was he was going to be an engineer who failed at everything he did and his classmates and other workers around him cleaned up after him to keep his image, but the funny-circumstance amnesiac/author was really cliche and I liked that one a lot more.)

Edit:
    I kind of rewrote him a little, he's along the same lines (Memory problems and such, cliche accident), but instead of not remembering ANYTHING and ending up like Jason Bourne + Drew Barrymore from 50 First Dates, I figured he should his short term memory in tact, and any memories made from this point on will stay in tact, the rest of it will come and go like an amnesiac, albeit a little more comical 'cause I was thinking of taking a sort of Johnny Depp's Willy Wonka approach to it. Lemme know what you think, I feel this one is more "realistic" as far as this goes.
    Last edited by Kichigaijen; 22-08-2009 at 03:52. Reason: My character is lame-sauce!

Hey Kich, it's great to have you with us! Welcome. Although, if I may ask, what took Vagrant so long to convince you to come over here ^_^

As far as your character goes, it's an intriguing concept, and one that could be very humourous. But if I understand correctly, he can't really remember long term, and he can't form new memories either, yet he retains some sort of unconcious ability? Kinda like Jason Bourne, but for engineering?

To be honest, I'd prefer one or the other. If he has long term memory issues, which seems the more fitting option, then he should be able to make short term memories. I don't mind if he just has a bad memory in general for the new stuff, but for some reason another condition entirely doesn't make sense to me.

Am I being unreasonable? =p

OOC: I did disappear, but I decided to check the boards on a whim and came across this. It caught my interest so I joined up. Been really busy with work and school. Haven't had the time to post, let alone persue any other hobbies, but hopefully that has passed :)

IC:
    Cyradis' light boots tapped softly agaisnt the foredeck as she paced along the rail. Her left had was crossed over her lower back and her right held a beaten old tome about a foot from her face. Her features were wrinkled in concentration as she bent the complicated words over her brain, trying to make sense of them. The writing was in an archaeic form of the land's commonly used speech, but it was at times just as cryptic as something dug out of a three thousand year-old tomb.

Closing the book over her right index finger, Cyradis stopped her pacing and sighed, leaning on the port side rail. It was about and hour before midday, but it wasn't particularly hot or uncomfortable on deck. A breeze passed over the ship and rippled Cyradis' white robe as if it were water.

Taking one last look at the passage she was studying, Cyradis removed her finger from book and shut it, groaning slightly. This rather small tome was the last item in her small library, and this was her second time to have read it. She still didn't understand most of it, however. Ancient scholars were known for thier illucidness, often rambling on into senseless 'prophecy' as thier minds began to evaporate. Such was the fate of scholar-mages, but thier wirtings often help other magi to hone thier onw knowledge. Cyradis was content to simply master her own brand of magic and live out a long, healthy life.

She returned to her cabin and placed the book on a small table beside her bed. She needed to get her mind off learning for a little while, or else she'd go mad faster than the author of her book. Swapping her robe for a grey cloak and common peasant clothes, Cyradis decided spending some time in the town might do her some good.

As luck would have it, Sephara was on deck distributing the crew's share of the payment for thier last mission. Like usual, Cyradis stood to the side to let the burly, and for more eager, deck hands get thier coin first. Sailors always seems to find payday irresistibly compelling. Cyradis was more or less indifferent herself. She hadn't really contributed much in the last mission, other than a brief observation in which she informed the captain that the treeline was scraping the keel. The comment earned a smirk followed by what only the captain would call "a great landing." Personally, Cyradis preferred the sort of landings where the aftermath didn't involve returning all her clothes to her small dresser and books to their shelves.

After the sailors were paid an dispersed, Cyradis approached Sephara with a small smile. "Good afternoon, Sephara," she said as she accepted the final few coins from the first mate, "Would you like to go into town with me? I mean, I know you just got back, but if you wanted to visit in a less official manner, I was going to head to the market for a few things."
    "I am the brightest light, for I am darkness. I know everything, for I know nothing. I am a container, brimming with emotion, for I am empty."
    --Bebedora, Arc the Lad

"Intelligence is the key, and she is locked out." - Josh Sneed, in reference to his ex.

Post Fiend

Jade & Jasper

Some glanced at Jade, some smiling, some frowning and some rolling their eyes at her as she walked past them down towards the dock. The reason behind this was the fact that even though she looked fairly normal she was talking out loud to herself, waving her arms around now and then. And if they were listening in they would probably frown even more.

"Oh come on," she said, glancing to her right. "You know very well that we couldn't stay after you..."

<After I what?> asked a voice that only she could hear. It came from Jasper, her twin brother. Her deceased twin brother.

"You know perfectly well why," she continued after a brief pause. "Just because you.. well... because you are... you know...."

<Spit it out.>

"Well. Dead. It doesn't mean that you can go around and do what you want. That man would not have killed himself if you hadn't made him belive that he was going crazy."

She stopped and stared at something, now to her left, placing her hands on her hips. Normally she would have taken into account that indeed she looked a bit crazy herself, but at the moment she was far too riled up.

<I didn't like the way he looked at you. He wasn't right in the head. I could tell.> Jasper replied.

Jade gave him a dark look, but after a while her green eyes softened a bit. She couldn't stay mad at Jasper long, especially not knowing that he indeed had acted on her behalf. He had always had a sixth sense about people and it was seldom he was wrong when it came to judging the character of a guy.

<Hold your horses.>

She followed Jasper's eyes up in the sky and had to tilt her head slightly. He was staring at a large ship and she recognized the look on his face. He knew something that she didn't.

"What?" she asked placing her bags on the ground.

<This is it. This is the ship. Our next place to call home, if even for a little while.>

"WELCOME TO THE SKYSAIL TREASURE CO." she began to read out loud. "Well let's just hope they have the need for a doctor onboard."

OOC: It doesn't seem unreasonable at all! I was kind of going for the Jason Bourne of Engineering approach, but if you would prefer me to steer more towards no long-term memory while retaining short term memory that's alright. :-D It's your thread so I can bend, mold and shape the character anyway you need him.

As far as what took me so long, I've been bitter when it comes to RP lately. I ran a few forums of my own that bottomed out and everywhere I go it's all "lol anime angst" and I got tired of it, so he mentioned the Airship RP you'll be holding and it was intriguing so I just finally created an account, he's been linking me here for years and I just haven't been bothered to make an account. He he he. Would you like me to re-edit my post to fix everything accordingly or just have it as an agreement from here?

OOC: Sorry, I think I miswrote that, I thought the Jason Bourne of Engineering was a very cool take. Too much memory loss and, as potentially funny as that might be, it doesn't seem like you'd want that person as your engineer ^_^ If you wanna quickly edit that'd be much appreciated.

Somebody call for a fighter?

Name: Kaltor (known as Kaltor Greycloak).

Profession: Pirate/Mercenary

Description: Around 5'11 with a build inclined more towards litheness than outright muscle. Green eyes, shoulder length, shaggy, jet black hair that he often keeps tied back. He wears an eyepatch over his left eye, but it's purely for show (and an entertaining handicap when he fights). Whatever else he may be wearing, he wears a heavy (and somewhat tattered) grey cloak that has become his signature.

Personality: Kal lives for the life of adventure, money, infamy, money, money and more money. While not an evil man by any stretch of the imagination he has no qualms about working both sides of the law and has spent as much time as a pirate as he has a pirate-hunter. He considers himself a debonair, swashbuckling ladies man. Most others consider him an arrogant pain in the rear. He has a very simple code of honor - as long as he is still being paid, his word is his bond.

Special Abilities: A life of being a sellsword has gifted Kaltor with a very high skill level with the blade and flintlock he carries with him, not to mention with his bare hands. His unorthodox and outright dirty fighting style make him an unpredictable and dangerous opponent. His reputation as one of the best swords for hire is not bravado. He's picked up enough to be able to pilot an airship in an emergency, but isn't a substitute for a trained pilot. He also has a very deft hand for picking locks, especially ones that stand between him and treasure.
    Last edited by Vagrant; 22-08-2009 at 05:33.

Hmm.
    Last edited by Kichigaijen; 22-08-2009 at 05:21.

Thread Information