Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: The Skysail Treasure Co.

Archamae de'Cailleach

Last edited by Arctic Phoenix; 14-03-2016 at 00:24.

Hearing the obvious distress in the young man's voice, Cyradis stood and moved out from her hiding palce. The girl was much younger than Cyradis realized, yet still able to contain so much magical focus. If she had been born in Kell, her fate would have been that of a Kellari spiritmaster; the most powerful of all Kellan magi. Even Cyradis had to recognize the girl's potential, and because of that, she was inclined to help her. Such a talent shouldn't be lost on this peculiar island just because of some xenophobic natives.

Cyradis, finding some of her strength returned, walked up to Archamae and paused. She met the pilot's eyes before continuing foreward as Archamae spoke. Cyradis knelt next to the unidentified man and gave him a sympathetic look. Turning her attention to the girl in his arms, Cyradis tenatively touched the vortex of energy she was drawing in. Restorative magic wasn't exactly Cyradis' forté, but she could help the little one to channel the energy more efficiently, and perhaps allow her to rest.

Cyradis placed her hand on the girl's fevered forehead, and nearly withdrew her fingers from the sensation. Her temperature was well above anything remotely resembling healthy. Cyradis was struck rather suddenly by a great deal of pity for her. It was a miracle she held on for any length of time with a fever this high. Redirecting her attention, Cyradis opened herself to the chaotic energy around the girl. Her struggle was desperate at this point; drawing in anything she could to sustain herself. Slowly, Cyradis began focusing the magic, her eyes instantly blazing as soon as she touched the girl's mana.

Once she was in control, Cyradis had little trouble reducing the force of the energy against the girl's strength to contain it. What was once a wild, violent hurricane was now a steady, stable orb. The stricken child's breathing slowed and her body relaxed as Cyradis withdrew. Cyradis didn't have the strength to hold the spell alone, but between them, the toll on the girl's body was greatly reduced. Cyradis smiled as she opened her eyes, looking at the stranger kneeling over her.

"That's better isn't it? You need to stay concious for a little while longer, though. It will take both of us to keep you from succumbing to the poison, but it should be easier on you now." Wiping the sweat from the young mage's brow with the hem of her sleeve, Cyradis helped the girl's companion lift her to her feet.

"My name is Cyradis, of Kell. This is Archamae and Kaltor. We're members of the crew whose airship crashed on the east shore of the island yesterday. We would be happy to offer the services of our ship's medic. It's about a two hour walk from where we are, I think."

OOC: Obviously, Jade isn't two hours away, but Cyradis doesn't know that :P
    "I am the brightest light, for I am darkness. I know everything, for I know nothing. I am a container, brimming with emotion, for I am empty."
    --Bebedora, Arc the Lad

"Intelligence is the key, and she is locked out." - Josh Sneed, in reference to his ex.

Post Fiend

Jade Alexander

Leaving her brother behind Jade rushed forward in search of the group Jasper had told her about. If he had been telling the truth it would mean that they had escaped. Her heart felt a bit lighter, but her focus was still on the one soul she felt tugging her in the right direction. It was not the first time it had happened, her sensing a certain state of mind or illness in someone. However she was surprised over the distance. Either the person had some great magical talent, or hers were growing. She had never relied on her magical abilities to heal, but put her trust in her skills as a doctor. Healing smaller wounds or head aches was one thing, but she knew she would never become a great mage.

It didn't take long until she heard voices and she felt the person close, almost amplified, by the shortened distance or something else she couldn't tell. She saw them probably before they saw her. As she slid out from the shadows it was with great relief in her voice.

"It IS you! Are you okay?" she asked the crew members. Gabe would be thrilled to find them, as was she. But after making sure that they did not have any death threatening wounds her focus turned to the pair on the ground. The man on the ground, cradling a younger girl, had tensed slightly at her sudden arrival. She held up her hands, palms forward, as a sign of peace.

"Let me take a look at her," she quickly said, kneeling next to the pair, throwing her bagpack on the ground. Focused entirely on the girl, without hesitation to what the man would do, she touched the girl's forehead. It was burning.

"Bite or poison?" she asked him, by quickly assessing the state of the girl. "Show me the bite mark, wound or what she has eaten."

Regular

Nepheli's Blessing

It was beyond him. Like a fish attempting to fly, magic was a realm he was forever denied. He watched his sister her eyes growing wider, her breathing growing stronger. Was it his imagination or did she look a little less flushed? Whatever the mage was doing it was working and for that he would offer his thanks. As the blond woman worked upon his sister he took a moment to study the other two.

The man was a sword hand, a good one by his stance. There were those that were born to the sword and others that were given it. This man's pose showed that blade was anything but embroidery, it was a part of him. His eyes seemed daring, and he was sure that he had seen his fair share of death.

It was the other woman, the demanding one that kept his feelings rattled. It was like trying to find something in fog. There was something about her, about her speech, that peeked the awarness in his mind. However much though he thought about it the reasons seemed to alude him. The weapon...he had seen its like before...

His thoughts were interupted as the mage broke away seemingly done with whatever had transpired. "My name is Cyradis, of Kell. This is Archamae and Kaltor. We're members of the crew whose airship crashed on the east shore of the island yesterday. We would be happy to offer the services of our ship's medic. It's about a two hour walk from where we are, I think."

An airship? He licked his lips. He had never been on one of those and his only memories of the things were anything but happy. That was moot though, the past was the past and he needed to get Cailey off this wretched island. Flying? Ugh it just seemed to get better and better.

His fingers twitched to the hilt of his blades as the a newcomer crashed through the bushes. Her hands slid up showing signs of peace, though he didn't begin to relax until he noticed the recognition that the others had for her. She must have been part of their crew, and by the way she moved towards Cailey she was obviously the one they had eluded to.

"She wasn't bitten. She took a wound from a spear head on her side." he pointed just above her waist. "A glancing blow but we realized quickly that it was anything but..." he stopped as his sister began to whisper her eyes locked on the mage Cyradis. She spoke quickly her words barely audible.

"Manek ju Nepheli?"
    _______

A deep sadness exploded over her. A feeling of melancholy as her knees trembled beneath her light weight. She was supposed to be stronger then, she wanted to be at least...she didn't want him to worry. Her breath caught and darkness swallowed her even as she choked out the warning to her brother.

Drice...

Her friend, her protector, her brother. Regardless of what her mother had said he was her brother. He should have hated her and at times she had wondered why he didn't but he had never left her. Never treated her badly, never made her feel ashamed.

*I couldn't save them*

The thought burned her. She wanted to cry. It wasn't fair. She had been only been nine! Yet why did she feel so guilty! She knew that was the real reason they had left, the real reason they had escaped....

No that wasn't right. Her head burned her body ached. These weren't her thoughts. She struggled with the magic an inferno racing around her threating to consume her. She moaned the pain intensifying if it slipped for an instant she would lose her spell. The poison was to strong and she was far to weak from exhaustion.

A light pulsed and presance gathering around her. At first she resisted but then gradually she gave into the other one. A mage...someone trying to help her. The presance channeled and broke the magic down like little streams diverting from a river. She could feel her strength returning the magic that had nearly slipped was now firmly in her control again.

She blinked. "Manek ju nepheli?" she whispered. She peared at those around her repeating her words again before the realization hit her. She was muttering in Juvarian, they probably thought her mad!

"Angel of Nepheli." Drice translated. "She called you a divine angel." his gaze was towards the blond woman at her side.

Her head still burned but with the magic firmly in her grasp again she felt a little better, a little stronger. "Drice?" she let out her senses feeling over the group. There was a second mage, much weaker but still with magical abilities kneeling at her side. "Thank you." she whispered to the mage that had helped her.
    _____

Cailey rarely spoke around strangers. She had said all of three words in the presense of their last crew which made it all the more meaningful that she seemed at ease with these people. It must have been the presense of the mage. A kin of spirits, drice wondered. "My apologies." he offered late to those around forgetting himself, he had never offered his name. "I am Drice and this is my sister Cailey. We came ashore with another crew but were seperated shortly after landfall." it was all true though not the whole of it. He still didn't trust them completly.

"This may hurt." he warned as he pulled her clothes away from the wound exposing the hurried bandage that they had rigged. The once white cloth was now black as the poison oozed from the small incesion above her waist the skin discoloring and the wound had grown from the last he had seen. "I will be forever grateful for your help." he offered.
    Last edited by Drice; 21-10-2009 at 22:57. Reason: Spelling and Gramar

Post Fiend

Jade Alexander

"Quickly, show it to me," Jade told him as she turned to her bag. It was important that she managed to figure our the poison before she began treating it. Wrong treatment could cause more problems than no treatment at all. She watched as he unwrapped the wound for her. The smell found her nostrils and she wrinkled her nose as she saw the discoloured skin.

"How long since she was wounded?" she asked. "Have you done anything to stop its progress? Judging by the colour I would guess her state would be worse than it is."

"By magic." The answer did not come from neither of the pair but from Cyradis. Jade nodded.

"Cailey, Cyradis, can you continue to hold it off for me, just a little while longer?" Jade asked. Both mages looked tired, but if the poison spread it would be difficult, if not impossible, for her to save the child. She produced a thin needle and said with a calm voice to the girl.

"Now this is going to hurt a little, but I need you to be strong for me Cailey. Can you do that for me?" Cailey gave a weak nod in return. She began to puncture the skin around the wound, as she wanted to see how the coloration would change. Close to the wound the skin turned greenish, but further our a healthy red.

"Now I'm not sure, but my guess is snake venom," she told the others after a couple of minutes. "Have any of you come across any particular snakes on this island?"

OOC: too tired to do more now...

Archamae de'Cailleach

Regular

A little spirit

Drice listened intently a frown playing at his lips. There was something they weren't telling. Not that he wasn't surprised, but there was a sense of urgency from the group. Something plagued them, something that made them want to leave this forest just as much he himself. "I have seen little life in these woods that has not produced a spear. What toxin they used..." he shrugged. "I do however agree that we should not dally here. Cailey do you think you can move?"

Cailey's eyes were closed she had not said anything but a brief grunt when the woman had jabbed the needle in her side. Although she seemed more at ease he could tell the obvoius discomfort hidden behind her facade. "I can hold the spell." she spoke aloud as much an answer as a promise to herself. She had to much spirit for her own good sometimes Drice decided.

He reached down taking her by the hand and helping her to her feet. She stayed upright for a moment upon wobbly legs her breathing shallow but not as weak as earlier.

Drice retreived their pack slinging it across his shoulder grunting beneath the strain as his own exhausted legs trembled beneath the forgotten burden. He took a breath focusing upon the calmness, trying to lock away the distractions like pain and sleep. It almost worked. "How far?" he asked aloud.

ooc: I am sorry but I am going to a training seminar out of town next week. I will be there from Sunday night til Friday night. They have told me I will have internet access but I am making no promises. So after my post sunday please feel free to carry the two with you to advance the story
    Last edited by Drice; 23-10-2009 at 01:34.

Gabriel Solomon & Sephara Na

"Jade," the familiar voice was like a fire in the darkness, "We have to leave this island. Is the Dawn flight worthy?" A wave of relief swept through his body as all the images of dead of injured friends were expelled from his mind. Perhaps he was being premature. Was it so wrong to hope? To be a Captain was to manage one's emotions, so he reminded himself that he had only heard one voice and really still knew nothing. The Dawn's young ambassador was clearly having similar thoughts, and the two shared a hopeful glance before bushing forward into the clearing.

"I'm afraid we are still stranded on this island, unless Xavier has performed some miraculous feat of engineering since we left to come rescue you," he took his time studying each of their faces. There was happiness in all at this chance reunion, but cold tension and worry had not fled their visage. "I'm glad to see we could be of so much help," he offered a momentary respite from the worry with his joke.

"I never thought I'd be glad to see your ugly face Solomon," the mercenary pirates gruff voice was emotionless, but he half smiled as the two embraced with a quick handshake and exchange of shoulder pats.

"Definitely no more regrets about hiring you. Thank you Kaltor," he wasn't sure what role the man had played just yet, but he was the type of person that radiated calm in even the most unsure and dangerous predicaments.

It was then he noticed three things. The first was Jade, hunched over a small body on the jungle floor - twigs, leaves, and even spiderweb had been caught in her hair. The unknown girl, he was young enough to be his daughter he guessed, was in bad shape. Just off to the side was a warrior who was obviously close with the girl judging by the pained desperation he wore in his eyes. Despite this small frailty, Gabe could tell the man could handle a sword. Gabe wondered who was the better between him and Kaltor. Perhaps, if they made it off this island, they would get to find out.

The second was the plain state of exhaustion Cyradis was in. Her robes were ruffled and wrinkled all over and her hair a mess. A thin glistening layer of sweat covered her forehead. Archamae, the ever sturdy dominion pilot, was helping her and ignoring the out of place goggles diagonally covering her head.

"Are you two alright? Who are these people?" he asked with great empathy. He looked to Arch for the answer. Even as he waited he found the fondness for the drunken mess of a woman grow exponentially within him. Something about the possibility of not seeing her again had sent a shock of emotion through his entire body. He swallowed hard, fighting to retain his composure.

His final observation he dismissed as quickly as he realized it, and did not dare to even ask. Where was Sephara?

-o0o-

Sephara made her way back towards where she'd come from. With any luck she'd run into the strangers she'd seen earlier and, if everything had worked out as planned, all her friends as well.

She hadn't taken more than ten steps when something suddenly materialized in front of her. The apparition threw her off balance, and as she passed through his ethereal form she could felt a sensation in her skin and bones she never had before. Skidding along the path she tumbled and rolled up, turning to face the ghost, blades drawn.

"Whoa whoa there," he said as he became more substantial. It was a human man, one who apparently thought he knew her, "There are some things that you cannot leave behind no matter how far you run. You must cut the cord and best do it here when they are close to their bodies."

"Begone demon of the night," she crossed her blades in front of her chest to ward herself from its malcontent, "I have more important places to be and no time for your musings. Step back into the depths of the abyss of which you belong, or I will send you from this plane altogether." Her voice quavered slightly, but it held force and edge. The threat wasn't empty by any means. She was a Spirit Dancer, and banishing such creatures was integral to such a role in her tribe.

Around her she could here the terrified voices of the Pu'aki, and heard their hurried feet scamper south towards their village. Clearly, they had seen enough magicks for one night, and if like her own people, dreaded such encounters with spirits.

So there she stood, alone, awaiting the ghosts reply.

Regular
    OOC: So originally I HAD meant that it was a couple of pirate scouts coming up from behind but whatever, I'm flexible. ;)

IC:

Aram let out a sigh of relief at the sight of the others. None looked wounded, although the mage looked near exhaustion. Then Aram noticed the other two. One, a young girl being treated by the doctor. The other was a young man was looked a couple years younger then Aram. It seemed the newcomers were already accepted by the rest of the group so Aram didn't concern himself with the two. What did concern him was the voices about. It seemed the enemy was out searching for the three escapees and a battle in the dark was the last thing the crew needed right now.

Gabe turned to the pilot. "Who are these people?" After exchanging quick pleasantries and introductions, the crew gathered their gear and shouldered their packs. The voices were getting closer, the pirates picking up the trail of Kaltor and the others who had made good their escape. Even now through the dense brush the light from a torch indicated just how close they were getting.

Aram didn't want to say it out loud, but the shared look with Gabe said it all: Where was the first mate? Aram knew that she had to be around here somewhere, the villagers would have made sure of that. But they had said they wouldn't interfere. Sephera would be on her own once she had arrived. Did they wait for her? It would mean having to battle it out with the pirates. Did they wait for her at the ship? The pirates would find the ship for sure, but it might be easier to defend against them on familiar ground.

Aram checked that his blade was clear in its sheath, something Kaltor had shown him during training. Gabe was the Captain, he would make the call. Aram only hoped it would be soon...

"There you are!"

A growl was the only warning they got that they had been found. A giant of a man wielding a large hammer broke into the small clearing where the group had been hidden. "They're over here!" He shouted while at the same time bringing his hammer above his head to inflict as much damage as he could. Aram, quickly recovering from being startled and being closest to the giant, drew the giant's attention. Directing his anger, the Giant let out a roar and began the hammer's deadly decent.Aram dove out of the way just as a couple bolts pierced the chest of the surprised pirate. toppling over, the Giant let out a last moan asit hit the forest floor. Aram glanced over to where the bolts had come from. Archamae stood with her weapon aimed at the fallen enemy.

Aram gave a half smile. "Thanks Arch. Gabe, what's the plan?" Everyone turned to the captain, expecting a direction from their leader...

Archamae de'Cailleach

Veteran
    It seemed as though life fell away for a while. The fires of T'a'u'weke rose above all else and came from far beneath. It was a spiritual experience that Arlen had found himself often lusting for but just out of reach. He had hoped he would find faith, but always felt lacking.

"So..." lava streamed by Arlen's feet and the bright burning figure that had been by his side for hours seemed to have cooled to black and a deep red. "It's all settled then, is it?"

With a small laugh, Arlen's companion replied, "So it would seem, my fleshy little friend."

"Well, I thank you. It has been quite the experience, T'a'u'weke. I appreciate your consideration in the matter, and your benevolence," Arlen said, bowing. "I don't really know the proper thanks."

"There is no way you can know, my child. Go back to your friends, they need you now. I will call my children back to me," it replied.

Before he knew what had happened, Arlen was back in his room, staring at the now long dead coals right where he had been hours before. Sweat and fatigue coated his body like something of a heavy weight. "How interesting," he noted and slowly stood like a newborn fawn first learning to walk.

Stumbling from the curtained entrance, those beside it were surprised to see him. Perhaps surprised to see him breathing. "T'a'u'weke has allowed you to live," one said to him. The fluency with which he understood their speech currently was quite dramatic.

"I... suppose so." Arlen could only guess as to the nature of his experience. Was it genuinely a spiritual experience, or some concoction they mixed and gave him without his notice? Was it in the fruit? If so, how would that explain his sudden revelation with their language? Or of their knowledge of his friend's danger? There must be more to it that Arlen just didn't see. Some smoke or mirror he didn't catch. Or was it that he still lacked faith in something of another plane? If so, what gave them the right to suppose themselves gods? The questions came too quickly and answers too laboriously.

"Where is Pu'aki?" Arlen said, breathing hard.

"We will get him now," an attendant told him.

-------------

"So you live," Pu'aki said, somehow not surprised. "Your kind I expect to. Your mind is open but hard to read."

"I take that as a compliment," Arlen replied. "I was told that-"

"I know what you were told," Pu'aki interjected. "As you are one of us, you are a servant of Pu'aki. You are now his child. He has told you this. Though you do not have to stay here. In fact, I encourage you not to. It isn't personal," he said with a shrug. "But you have much to learn still. You still do not believe T'a'u'weke, but he does not hold it against you. Neither should I. You do believe in your friends though. And in them you should put your trust. They need you, we know."

"But how?" Arlen asked, ever curious. "How can you know? How do you know you are right? I can do something from birth to death and still wonder if there isn't a better way. A more correct way."

"You speak with a wisdom of things that don't matter," Pu'aki said, shaking his head. "You think too much about too many things, even at your age. Listen from a man who makes you a baby. What would you do if you did something better than before? Would it save you days? What would you do with your extra days? Think about how to save more?"

A few moments passed and Arlen gave a low huff in defeat. "You speak with a wisdom of things that make sense." Arlen bowed and turned to leave. Pu'aki hadn't mentioned something T'a'u'weke had told him. Perhaps it was smoke and mirrors after all. Perhaps it was all a dream and Pu'aki knew that whatever Arlen was given it wouldn't have killed him.

"Until next we meet," Pu'aki said and bowed.

"May your life be long and your eyes never fade, Grandfather," Arlen said and walked away slowly.

After his experience, he saw the small village with new eyes. They were divided eyes. One hoping that things were not as they seemed, and one hoping that everything could be explained by science and theory. Maybe he just had his eyes and ears open really wide before he had his episode and it jolted his mind in a good way. In some ways, Arlen felt as he did when he was a child. Like he was ready to learn anything and everything all over again for the first time.

Maybe it was a second chance. A way to replace the hole in his heart.

Either way, Arlen had two new families in the space of a week. He would always be welcome on the Requiem, he felt. However, Arlen would only be as welcome here as long as it took to do what T'a'u'weke told him had to be done. His test had only begun, and Pu'aki hadn't even touched on it. Or maybe he knew and was trying to get him off the island before it happened. Maybe he wanted things to go on as they have been for so long. Arlen might not know any better, but the all-knowing T'a'u'weke probably did. If he was indeed alive and as powerful as he seemed, then Arlen would damn well do what he asked, just in case.

For now, he needed to get back to the Requiem and help out in anything that had his name on it. As the sun rose, so did his hope of seeing his friends alive. That hope became reality as not ten steps on the beach passed by before Archamae ran onto it.

"How's our saucey pilot these days? Looks like you've seen better ones. Seems like my time with the natives went better than yours with the settlers," he mused with a stern face. Arlen started his walk toward her noting her weapon was in hand. Usually, that would dictate that bad things followed not far behind. "I assume the captain isn't far behind. How can I help?"

Regular
    He bit his lip. It had all happened so fast. It wasn't like he could fault them. It had started when the group had reunited with their comrades. An eye of suspision had fallen upon them, Cailey taking a step hurriedly behind him hiding her face in his back. He knew she was tough, knew that she was hiding the fear and the exhaustion. He could feel her resting against him. He had been about to introduce himself to the one in charge when the gathering had exploded in confusion.

It was a measure of his own exhaustion, that is the slowness of his own reflexes. The large man was already spitting blood falling to the floor before Drice had even placed his fingers upon his own weapon. The words that came next brought about the current fear, the current crisis. Someone had yelled run....such a simple word.

Yet that word had likely led them to their own cruel fate.

The group had found a new sense of urgency, obviously they too had enemies upon this wretched cursed island. The strength and speed they exhibited put his own strength to shame. And as they dashed into the trees he had snatched the small hand at his side and moved to follow.

Steadily though they had fallen behind as the little legs had stumbled to keep up. It wasn't fair. He chewed his lip in thought. He had finally slowed to a brief walk knowing that it was futile to try and keep the pace. All around he could hear the searchers closing in on them. Cailey whimpered behind him he thought he recognized the word sorry through her muffled cry.

It wasn't her fault....

He paused embracing her, smoothing her hair back. "It's ok little one..." he whispered soothingly. Although he knew it wasn't. Staying with her was against everything he had been trained to do. She was a liability, she was already dead...but those thoughts melted away against the inferno of his own resolve. The strangers had said they had ship. They had offered help before the commotion...there was still a chance. But could she do it?
    _____

Why didn't he go? Why didn't he leave her behind? She was holding him back, she was going to get him killed and still he didn't move. She cried harder. Why was she so weak...

"I need you to be strong little one." he whispered in her ear. "You can track them right?"

She was so tired she had been afraid to channel anything besides the simple spell that held the poison at bay. She considered for a moment and knew where he was going with it. With a deep breath she cast her senses upon the winds and a chill ran down her spine. She could feel them...so many. There were individuals surrounding them gradually closing in like a noose. But there was something else...a group...she opened her eyes. "Ahead...not far."

Drice nodded drew one of his blades and bid her forward. "You lead."
    ____

They made better time then he expected. Occasionally Cailey would place up a finger calling for a silence as someone came to close. Each time however she led them away without notice. He was begining to believe his luck was finally getting better when the trees thinned and they broke out of the forest onto the beach.

"An airship!" Cailey whispered excitedly as they hurried towards it...

OOC: SoHee, not sure what you had planned for Jasper and Sephara, but I'm just going to improvise something. Just Sephara tonight, will post for Gabe and Co. tomorrow.

On another note, my profound apologies for missing bits of info. Ren, is Pu'aki the name of the people? I completely missed that they weren't supposed to "get involved".

IC:

The eyes of the ghost squinted as he looked her over. What he was looking for she couldn't tell, but she kept her guard up all the same, unwilling to risk even a moment of carelessness around one of the Fallen. The first mate couldn't be sure, but it looked like something had dawned on the spirit, and a feint smirk crossed his face.

"We haven't met, formally I mean," Jasper realized his mistake.

"I don't make it a habit to keep the dead as friends," she countered. Her eyes closed ever so slightly, as if she could kill him again with just her stare. 'Keep your guard up,' she reminded herself as she scanned his features to see if a closer look would spark something in her memory. Inwardly Sephara cursed - she had no patience for such games.

"In my case, Sephara, you may have to make an exception." His smile felt like ice water being poured over her skin and disturbed her greatly. How did he know her name? "Haha," now he was laughing, "You'll soon find out how I know your name," he said.

Gripped in shock, her eyes widened and her body went stiff. Was he reading her mind? Khutra Nom! A Fallen that could steal the thoughts of the living. He was laughing again, this time at her reaction, "No, I cannot read your mind. For now, simply know I mean you no harm," he paused a moment as if to consider what he'd just said, "Whether or not you believe me."

Before she could respond there was a rustling leaves and distant voices moving her way. Instinctively Sephara dropped her guard against the spirit, and keenly concentrated on trying to hear what other danger might threaten her. Although her eyes had never actually left the dead man, when she returned her attention to him he had already begun to melt into thin air. "Go," he told her just as he completely vanished.

Sephara did not need to be told twice. She tucked her blades back into their homes on either side of her hip, and began ran back towards the clearing she'd passed earlier. Taking one last look to be sure the ghost was gone, she cast her eyes forward and ran as fast as her legs would carry her.

Gabriel Solomon

Aram gave a half smile. "Thanks Arch. Gabe, what's the plan?" Everyone turned to the captain, expecting a direction from their leader...

Before he could make his decision his pilot made it for him. He didn't appreciate Archamae taking matters into her own hands. Any good Captain knew that order and discipline were what kept a ship and its crew alive. By going around the chain of command Archamae could very well have planted seeds of doubt in the minds of the other crew members that Gabe didn't know what was best for them.

But he bit his tongue. There were times when you needed to lead by words, and other times when you led best by following the sentiments of the majority. This was one of those times. Everyone ran south, back into the dark jungle and back towards their home. No one even really seemed to notice that it had been Archamae and not Gabe who'd given the command. One night in a jungle surrounded by enemies could have that effect.

"Perhaps I should have made my deal with her instead," Meg quipped into his ear as she passed by following after the rest. It was enough to make his blood boil, and he clenched his hand into a fist to relieve the frustration. The breach in command hadn't gone unnoticed, and it made him feel... impotent.

Footsteps. He turned to try to locate where they were coming from and was suddenly acutely aware that he was the last remaining member of the crew in the clearing. Even the stranger they'd stumbled upon had managed to shuffle off with his sister in his arms. His hand went to the hilt of his rapier, readying to fight whoever came down the path. If he ran it left an easy trail for whoever came after to follow, and this way he'd buy his friends time - even with his life if need be.

A figure robed in vegetation and shadow burst into the clearing. His sword was halfway out when he caught a glimpse of Sephara's face in the dim moonlight.

"Seph!" he exclaimed with great relief.

"Sir," she said breathing hard, "Good to see you. Where's everyone else?"

"Headed back towards the ship. You alright?"

She nodded, "Ambushed some of the people that were coming after us, should slow the rest down some if they care about their mates at all. Just really, really tired sir."

Gabe couldn't help but smile, and gave his first mate a pat of the back. "Come on, let's get back to our ship."

-----

Stepping out onto the beach was like stepping out of prison for the first time in years. Gabe took a moment to appreciate his release from the humid jungle letting the salty sea air fill his nostrils and the bright night stars and moon pour over him.

"Go make sure everyone's fine," he told Sephara.

"Don't be long," was all she said before happily sprinting the last few hundred yards back to where the Dawn sat lying calmly upon the cool sand, oblivious to everything that had happened in the past twenty-four hours.

Gabe waited only long enough for the two newcomers to catch up with him. For better or worse they had helped the pair and he felt as responsible for them as anyone else who flew with him. He met up with the man and stopped him.

"Let me take her from here, I think you've carried her far enough for one night," he offered to help.

The man look torn, his gaze altering between the Captain and his sister. "Thank you, but I'm fine."

Gabe was ready to insist the man stop trying to be the hero, but then he caught the look of determination he held in his eyes, and Gabe understood. It couldn't have been easy. Stranded on some foreign island, his sister ill, taken in by strangers but helpless all the while. Carrying the girl was all he could do, the only thing in his sphere of control, and Gabe wouldn't take that from him.

Instead he just smiled, "Very well," the girl looked like a sack of potatoes in his thick arms, "Come on then, we're almost there."

As they approached the gangplank they were tired and sweaty, but first the first time that night both men looked hopeful. Standing on deck he could see Sephara had kept the crew assembled up top. Wintrop the half-Orc was scurrying back and forth between the crew and the stairs to the lower levels bringing food, water, and any needed medical supplies. Jade had already checked the crew for any injuries, and seemed concentrated on Cyradis, who looked even worse than before. The physical demands of the run had drained her body even further.

"Thank you again Captain. I'm Drice," he said loud enough for everyone to hear, "And this is my sister Cailey." Jade and the others had paused what they were doing and watched the exchange.

"Welcome aboard the Requiem Dawn Mr. Drice." Smiles seemed to spread across many of the crew's faces as their captain officially welcomed the siblings as part of their meager band. "Jade..."

"Right away Captain," she called immediately and made her way towards Drice and Cailey, continuing what she'd began back at the clearing.

"Who's the least exhausted?"

"You have some more fun in mind?" Kaltor grinned widely.

Gabe scoffed, of course it would be Kaltor, "If standing watch is your idea of fun, than yes, loads of it." Greycloak simply shrugged, happy to prove his prowess by whatever means available. "Wintrop, Kaltor and I will take the first watch tonight. At noon I want everyone back up here. We need to figure out how we're getting off this island. Arch," he added, "I want a debriefing before you go."

Murmurs of assent were accompanied by weak nods, and the men and women of the Dawn made their way below deck to try to find some respite, if only temporarily.

Lord Ralse Seigfried

Thread Information