Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Skysail Treasure Co.

Regular
    Aram walked the path up to the small cottage he called home. Or atleast, he used to call it home. Now it seems that home is wherever the Requiem Dawn was harboured. That said, there was always something missing on his adventures and currently that something was stringing together a list of curses from around back. The shop Leontes worked out of was large compared to most blacksmith shops. Nearly twice the size of the cottage, the shop held every kind of tool a blacksmith could ever want as well as stacks of different types of metals. Most were piled neatly in stacks except one stack which had appeared to fallen over, bars scattered every which way. Unfortunately a bar had chosen a trajectory aimed directly at the blacksmiths toes, the cause of the colourful profanity.

"Easy Old Timer. You know, you should try to keep your supplies tidier. Makes it easier to work around..."

Leontes let out another curse and punctuated it with a glare that could boil water. "Well, well, well. Look what the wind carries to my door. What do you want? That fool of a captain need more parts to repair his wreck of a ship? Cause I tell you, He's going to have to start paying double he has me working so hard..."

Father and son broke into identical smiles as the two embraced for a minute. "Good to see you home safe my boy." Leontes said as gave Aram a once over. "you seem to be in good health."

Aram held up a small purse. "We've been doing just fine. Gabe was hoping for a few parts for the ship before we head out. Not quite sure when that is, but I imagine it'll be soon." Reaching into a pocket, Aram withdrew a folded piece of paper and handed it to his father. "This is what we need."

Leontes took the purse and tossed it onto his anvil and wiped his hands on his apron before taking the list. "Soon as possible you say, I guess I can't say I'm surprised. I'll get to work on this right away. I'm sure you want to get to town and spend some of your hard earned wages, but swing by the house tonight and we'll have a mug while you tell me all about this last trip..."

Aram gave a one armed hug and a smile before heading to the door. "You got it."

Veteran
    OOC: I don't suppose you need a wanderer from the wastes with an extensive knowledge of the world's tribes do you? :) I would love to take an important position, like pilot. However, since I'm leaving for my gap-year in 6 weeks... not the best thing to do. I'll take a temporary role and make a more permanent character while I'm in New Zealand a couple of months from now. Maybe bring this one back.

Name: Arlen Vegough (Vay-Go)
    Race: Human
    Profession: Wandering soul / Adventurer - Jack of all trades

Description: Arlen has the most cool (think temperature, not "awesome") green eyes. They seem to exude a soothing sense of "It's alright. Everything will be fine." He has the look of someone that has been on his own for a while. That being said, in pretty good physical condition from the perils of an adventurous life. A few skipped meals here and there by necessity, but all in all quite a specimen of a rugged life, living from a bedroll. 5' 10", tanned skin but fairly clean. Could use a bath, but not too odiferous.

Personality: To get through a harsh world on your own, you sometimes have to go with the flow. That being said, sometimes to survive you have to go against it. He's a man who's determination and survival skills have been honed by ages of lonesome and not-so-lonesome travel. Social when necessary and alone most of the time, he's happy either way. The sights he has seen might be amazing to some and dull to others who might just not take the time to appreciate the small things in life like he does, especially since airship travel.

A pleasant individual, he is as varied as the landscapes he has trodden down and sailed over. Among the few things he cannot tolerate are ignorant people and those who discard everyday life and have a wasteful attitude to things or people.

Not a big drinker, but enjoys a good brew. Enjoys to smoke opium, but doesn't, he professes if asked, have a problem with it.

Special Abilities:* Though he is not a master of any career, he has performed just about every job out there, military or otherwise. He IS however, a master of survival. That includes proficiency in many things like: Zoology, botany, cooking, eating, healing, hurting, sailing, climbing, hiking, cultures, races, and languages.

Most unlikely in his repertoire are strategy and tactics.

He also happens to be a good story-teller.

History:* Arlen's life started in an orphanage with a special mission. His eleven "siblings" all grew up and abandoned that mission while Arlen, with his sense of duty stayed behind.

Arlen has been exiled from his original country about fifteen years. A large tribe with a few townships to call it's own. In his own country he was a man of repute and learning, an important man. After his tribe was conquered, however, he was allowed exile rather than death at the hands of his conquerors. They didn't eliminate the whole tribe, for which he was thankful, but because he was part of the governmental structure something had to be done about him or future reprisal was feared.

Much experience was gained in those times, enough to keep him alive and more. Though he aspires, never again, to be a major part of society. Life can be enjoyed so much more on a grassroots level than worrying about the wellbeing of every life in your land, or being callused and considering them just another resource. He could be a successful businessman as a merchant or city planner, or a craftsman of some kind, he reasons, but he is happiest learning about the varied histories and cultures of the world with an unbiased and open mind.

He's met a few of his old siblings along the way.

He carries a journal of his accounts with him to read by firelight to remember people he's met along the way, things he's seen and done, and skills he's learned.

He's only been on an airship once.

Race/Tribe:* Human - Ciribaque (Sear-i-bawk) - Ciribaqian

-------

Shari - WB! I can think of a really good lot of things to do with your character, lol. ^_^ Human metal-detector, airship-crash-cushion-provider, blacksmith's aid, metallurgist, etc. ^_^

Geco - lemme know what you think. Looks like a fine thread. :) If I end up coming back when i get to new zealand and this is still going strong, maybe he can come back and be a representative for the ship, going out and finding jobs and what not that the crew could take. I'll probably have him ask for transport to such and such a place and work as a deckhand until he gets there. It's actually a great job for him to have, as it fits Arlen's ideals of travel and adventure, although he's a minor pacifist.

There is a lot of stuff to the character in backstory that I'm not telling you so if he indeed can come back there would be a lot to go off of if you need it. :)

SoHee - cool concept I think you are particularly good at pulling off. ;)

Darlok - I like that one, I was going to do a blacksmith but decided to wait because I didn't want to have to take a permanent position

Vagrant - WB too! Thanks for bringing someone along with you. By the way, i think I love your pirate-like characters. Always fun :)

Kichi - welcome to URP! We like to think we're a little bit more sophisticated than hormonal children and peter-pan adults who can't unhook themselves from anime and make something original. I think you'll fit in just fine :)
    Last edited by Jolly Rensha; 15-02-2010 at 09:58.

OOC: Yeah Ren, that all makes sense, except the crash cushion. I'm no expert, but I'm fairly certian it would take a great deal of control and effort to stop an airship from crashing by manipulating gravity. One wrong move and we might have a miniture black hole. Fun! Cyradis is actually a new character of mine. The name is from a book (I thought it was cool) but the rest is fairly unique, as far as my other female characters go.

I considered bring back my original character from Endless Skies, but I don't think she ever really fit in to that story. Mabey she'll make a cameo appearance later. Who knows? :P
    "I am the brightest light, for I am darkness. I know everything, for I know nothing. I am a container, brimming with emotion, for I am empty."
    --Bebedora, Arc the Lad

"Intelligence is the key, and she is locked out." - Josh Sneed, in reference to his ex.

Sephara Na

OOC: Sorry for the minor delay but I was traveling across the Atlantic and then proceeded to get lots and lots of sleep ^_^ Given some late additions I hope you guys don't mind holding off our launch a bit. For everyone, please get back on board or sign up soon so our adventure can begin!

Vagrant: looks good, I even remember earlier versions of Kaltor. No airship thread would be complete without a real pirate in the mix.

Kichi: thanks for the edits more haha start posting whenever you're ready. Also, let the rest of us know how you'd like the airships to function so we're all on the same page. Thumbs high!

Rensha: was hoping you'd be able to play a little. I always need a Wanderer from the Wastes, especially if they can control a camel ^_^ Love the concept. Do what you can, I'll keep him alive and you can pick up when you get settled.

Shari: Shari's history would make her hard to fit into a thread like this, although of course finding her kin if they became scattered would make sense. But a ranger up in the air is like a fish out of water, no? hehe

IC:

Never be around a group of sailors when you have fresh gold. They can smell it. The soft jiggling and metal clang of coin on coin was like thunderous percussion to their ears. Things get even worse if you show it to them – so she’d had to learn the hard way. Pay after the work is done, never before.

Ignoring the greedy eyes staring longingly at her, she moved through the ship, inspecting stations and equipment to make sure everything was satisfactory. Once satisfied, she made the announcement and watched the bees flock to their sweet nectar.

She pocketed her own share and silently added two more gold crowns to her pile. And a pile it was. She’d emptied a drawer in her cabin and seemed to just keep adding to it as she rarely found anything worth spending it on, and had no idea what to do with it, so she just kept it out of the sun and dusted it off every so often.

Cyradis’ approach was a warm welcome. The female mage was quite unlike the common sailor, and indeed, her well-educated mind and studious nature had made her a good friend on board the ship. "Good afternoon, Sephara," she said as she accepted the final few coins from the first mate, "Would you like to go into town with me? I mean, I know you just got back, but if you wanted to visit in a less official manner, I was going to head to the market for a few things."

“A few things?” it was more a stall for time to contemplate her invitation than a real question. A walk through town sounded nice enough, and perhaps she’d even find something worth buying. “I’d love to come along, thanks,” she said and beamed her friend a smile. They didn’t get far though.

Just a few steps from the ship Sephara overheard someone reading out loud, “WELCOME TO THE SKYSAIL TREASURE CO." she began to read out loud. "Well let's just hope they have the need for a doctor onboard.” Looking her over quickly she noted her features, raven hair, jade eyes, porcelain skin... this one’s bound to bring trouble with her. Every crew member will be making up ailments just to spend time with a doc that looked like that.

Having a healer was a virtual necessity given the nature of their business though, and such skills were in high enough demand that she couldn’t really be picky. “Actually, we do have need for a doctor,” she left out that he’d left upon getting a much richer offer from a group of aristocrats in Dolphport. “I’m Sephara Na, First Mate, and this is Cyradis, Ship’s Mage. It’d be nice having another female to travel with,” testosterone was amplified when it collected together in too large a group she had concluded.

“I do have a few questions though,” Gabe trusted her enough to handle management of the crew, so she felt no qualms about making a quick decision. After some brief questions and learning of Jade’s thorough background and training it was an easy choice. “Welcome Aboard!” she happily shook their new doctor’s hand. “I believe Cabin 11 is empty, so why don’t you get stowed away there. Your first duty is to take stock of our current medical supplies and have a list ready of anything else you might need for when I return. We should be back in a few hours.”

Returning to their original pursuit, the two women began walking towards the marketplace. Gently pulling on Cyradis’ sleeve to get her attention, Sephara asked, “So, what do you think of our new doctor? I got some... strange feelings to say the least.”

IC:
    Cyradis was delighted that Sephara accepted her invitation, and smiled happily as they made towards the gangplank. On the wharf below was a woman reguarding the recruitment poster with some skepticism, it seemed. Sephara greeted her and Cyradis remained silent, aside from giving the woman a brief, but polite nod when introduced.

In the end, Sephara was pleased with her credentials and allowed her on board. Naturally, the first mate already had a chore list for the woman. There was no doubt Sephra was meant to be a sailor. Cyradis welcomed the new doctor on board as she passed her going the opposite direction on the ramp, and caught up with Sephara.

“So, what do you think of our new doctor? I got some... strange feelings to say the least," Sephra asked as they were passign between a pair of warehouses.

Cyradis shrugged, "She has some magical aptitude, if that's what you mean. It's difficult to say how much without concentrating harder, but I'd say she's capable of mending most minor wounds with magic alone. With medicine combined, I'd say she's a good choice. I didn't feel anything strange, though, some people around the dock were giving her odd looks. Mabey you should ask her about it? You are in a position to do so, after all."

Cyradis smiled and gazed into the windows of shops as they progressed down the street. "Any idea about our next job? Could help us to think of anything we might need..." Cyradis broke off as her eyes caught a particularly stunning dress on display. She stopped to admire the work. Even if she could afford such a thing, it had no place on the Dawn. She laughed lightly to herself and turned to Sephara.

"Could you imagine if we wore finery like this all the time? I don't think the men would ever be focused enough to ignite the engines, let alone keep the ship aloft. Bet the captian would be right at home, though. He always seems like he belogs in a ballroom or the king's court. Not much at all like other captains."
    "I am the brightest light, for I am darkness. I know everything, for I know nothing. I am a container, brimming with emotion, for I am empty."
    --Bebedora, Arc the Lad

"Intelligence is the key, and she is locked out." - Josh Sneed, in reference to his ex.

OOC: THE SHIP SHALL BE POWERED BY LOVE. *cough*

IC:

Tap tap tap. Tap tap. Tap tap. The echoing sound made by the engineer's ornamental walking cane. He flips the cane around his finger and hooks it through a loop fixed on his shoulder bag before shrugging, readjusting the weight of the bag evenly across his back. He begins whistling as he pulls out a set of blueprints from his bag, rolling them open, pausing just long enough to momentarily take in some of the information. "This is very good." He grins and replaces the diagram into his bag.

He retrieves the cane from it's holster, twirling it before placing it to the ground again. Tap tap, tap tap tap. He adds a little pop into his step, his whistling becoming more fervent, happier. He stops for a moment behind two women in front of a dress shop. "Lovely dress, isn't it?" He asks, twirling his cane and tapping it to the ground. "Hello Cyradis and Sephara." He smiles, placing both his hands on the cane in front of him, leaning on it for support. "Window shopping today, ladies? I think I need a new outfit."

He leans back and holds his arms out to his side, looking down at his neat, wrinkle-free Victorian style gentlemen-wear.

Sephara Na

OOC: *sigh* Jetlag has kept me up for a couple hours now, might as well do something useful with the extra time =P

Kich: I don't think it's explicitly stated, but we all write in the same tense on these boards - past tense. It gives the writing a more cohesive feel if everyone is using the same tense and, in my opinion, present tense tends to feel very childish =P You can read anyone else's posts if you need an example. Just a small thing ^_^

IC:

Sephara furrowed her brow in response, “Unfortunately I have no idea, and you know how I like to be prepared,” the last part was a jab at herself. “I get the feeling we could be here for a little while trying to figure out our next job.

Windows and stalls lined this particular street, a clear indication they had arrived at their destination. Vendors sold everything from jewellery, clothes, and books to weaponry, exotic animals, and “genuine” love potions. It was odd for her in these places. Supposedly, these were the kinds of things she should want, but she never felt like she wanted them. Unless they somehow helped her in her job, she didn’t see the point.

“We could probably get a great deal done just by asking nicely though,” she winked and laughed and both of their jokes on the matter. When Cyradis remarked about the Captain she wasn’t surprised. Although most people avoided asking her, she had heard many speculative conversations amongst the crew as to Gabriel Solomon’s story.

She paused at a window pretending to scan its contents, but inwardly reflected on her time together with Gabe. Finally she spoke, “I’ve long thought that myself, but he’s never mentioned it,” admitting that even she, the closest friend he had didn’t truly know him stung a little, “The Captain’s a private man. Never once heard him talk about his past, in fact, he usually tries to avoid the subject altogether. Whatever brought him here is over and done with, and I don’t think he wants to look back,” she smiled at her next thought, “I think he’s happy now, and that’s all that matters to him.”

"Lovely dress, isn't it?" a voice asked behind them. Only then did she realize she’d stopped at a dress store. Through the window reflection she saw it was Xavier, their engineer. The man was a genius with machines and tools and had on more than one occasion saved them from certain death. He was twirling his cane and tapping it against the ground. "Hello Cyradis and Sephara."

The two women turned to greet their shipmate, “Hello Xavier, fancy running into you here. Although, I think these dresses are a little too flamboyant for you. Hmm, something simpler,” she wrinkled up her face, pretending to visualize the idea, “Yes, definitely simple.” Sephara slapped him slightly on the shoulder to make sure he knew she was just joking. “Come on, let’s finish up and get back to the ship.”
    Last edited by Geco; 24-08-2009 at 09:29.

OOC: Ah, that's something I'll have to get used to. I've been RP in the present-tense for years now. He he he. I think I'll manage. ^_^

Post Fiend

Jade & Jasper

Jade was still reading the sign out loud when she heard a female voice nearby.

"Actually, we do have need for a doctor."

She turned to face a rather stunning and imposing woman a little bit older than herself, or so she guessed. It didn't take Jade long to realize that this woman was not unfamiliar with giving out orders, and being used to have her orders followed. Correctly assumed the woman soon presented herself while Jasper circled around her from behind almost as if he was trying to smell her. Not that he actually sniffed her, but he definetely saw something of interest. Then again, Jasper had always liked beautiful women.

"Jade Alexander," she introduced herself to the First Mate and the other woman who turned out to be the ship's Mage. She was a bit surprised to see that the ship had so many women holding such important positions. By most peoples standards two wouldn't equal to many, but in the world of ships it did. It was still a world of man. She gave them both a bright smile. One as short as the other was tall, both looking like strong women. Then again, most women were to survive the rough climate in the testorone-filled sky. Jasper might have had his own agenda to why he had saught this ship out, but now she had her own. Much to her annoyance Jasper was still staring at the First Mate, he lifted his hand almost as if to touch her hair, but stopped inches away from her face, watching her eyes closely, almost as if he expected some reaction from her. Jade tried to throw him an annoyed glance without it being to noticable. If he did something to mess this up, especially after his latest debacle, she would kill him. In a way.

"Oh really?" she said with relief and joy in her voice as she shook Sephara's hand after being told that she had passed the First Mate's test.

"Thank you! I promise you won't regret it," she said, shaking Cyradis' hand as well out of pure excitement. She watched them leave and swatted at Jasper's head. He ducked out of pure reaction rather than need as she did.

"What is wrong with you?" she hissed low.

<I told you!> Jasper jeered with a certain twinkle in his eyes.

"Not now," she whispered as she picked up her bags and made her way onto the ship.

<Come on,> Jasper grinned at her as he more hovered than walked around her as she tried to find the assigned cabin. The longer she refused to talk and even look at him he began to shout into her ears. It wasn't even sentences. Or at the end not even words.

<Stop ignoring me, sis. You know how I hate to be ignored!> he finally said popping his head through the closed the door behind her.

"FINE!" she said, trying not to shout as he entered fully into the cabin. "What on earth were you doing out there? Walking around her like she was a dog in heat?"

<She, my dear sister is the reason to why I decided to make this our new home.> He clapped his hands together.

"Yeah? Well you know that you can touch things when you reallyw ant to, and what if she had felt it? You know what. Never mind. Whatever," Jade threw her hands up in the air and rolled her eyes beginning to unpack, making sure some of her more expensive and rare potions were still intact.
    "Why would I even think you care..." she mumbled.

<Don't you wanna know why?> Jasper continued, sounding just a tiny bit disappointed in her lack of interest.

"No, but I'm sure you are going to tell me."

<I sensed her, Jadesy! I could sense her on that ship, even from below and I know that she sensed me! She might not even have realised that she did, but I know she did. I know!> he said, sounding more alive than the last time he had been up to one of his pranks, usually the only thing that kept him alive in this time of death. His excitement over Sephara was clear as day.

An hour or so later Jade was making an inventory of the Medical supplies, which was proving to be quite difficult as Jasper refusing to stop acting like a child was moving bottles and equipment around. At least she had managed to make a small list of essential supplies that were missing and supplies that were soon running out. She wasn't too sure the First Mate or the Captain would approve of some of the more expensive things, but Sephara had asked her for a list, and a list she would get. And not all things on the list was expensive, such as honey excellent in preventing infections and even helping to heal lighter burns.

Regular
    Aram strolled up the path towards his fathers house, twirling a bottle of Darusian Rum in one hand. The rum had been a good find. A small kingdom to the far north, Darusians were famous for their two things. Festivities, and their Rum. It was said that no Beverage packed a punch like a Darusian Rum, Or went down as smooth. That said, there were many a man who would like to get their hands on such a bottle including Captain Gabriel Solomon. This bottle could be worth a favor or two...

Knocking on the door of the cottage, Aram whistled a short tune as entered...

~~~

...It was late as Aram strolled up to the ship. Boarding the Reqiuem, Aram thought to find Gabe and the two could share a drink. Heck, maybe he could even convince Sephara to have a swig or two this time. That would be fun...

Aram was talking from his inner musings by the sound of an unfamiliar voice coming from the med supply room. Stopping and peaking in, Aram noticed a woman twirling about the room and talking to herself. In her hand was a list, presumeably of items needed to restock the shelves. Possibly a new shipmate? Stepping into the room, Aram held a hand out in greeting.

"I'm guessing you must be the new on-board Doc. Name's Aram. Need any help?"

Veteran
    OOC: Actually Shari, I was thinking more along the lines of deflection by pulling above the ship, rather than augmenting the gravity below it. I doubt it would take a black hole to slow or stop that ship though. ;) Heavy enough gravity and you would stretch space (and therefore time), and it wouldn't need to be a black hole (but probably a star).

anyway... enough of my babbling... I hate myself sometimes. lol

IC:

"Monsury, 596.

"Coral's Harbour was just another oceanic destination. The edge of the surface of the dry world. It seemed in those days, that all sorts of worlds were conjoining. The way the forest gave way to jungle gradually, with a warmer and wetter climate all the time was a blissful transition. Even more wondrous was when palm trees started invading the jungle to create a hammock as the soil became more and more salty. Palm hearts. Yum. Don't get me wrong, when the jungle dissipates a distance from the ocean, crawls down the slopes of smaller mountains with barren brown tops, too short for ice caps and too hot, to become groves of palm trees of various kinds, sea grapes, and all sorts of ocean brushery, it is a pretty relaxing sight. The pale yellowish sand of the beaches and the deep purple blue were just the sort of contrasting colors that made you happy you were out of the moldy smelling dewy green of a vine-laden rainforest of untapped herbal knowledge. Simply if because it was too dense to be habitable by humans. Yet here I had lain, in opium dens and beer halls on the edge of the ocean reaping the reward of my travels."

The charcoal stylus touched the page for the last time at this destination. The author flipped through a few former pages, showing all sorts of different colors used in the writing of the leather bound book before him. Whatever was at hand or available locally, he had used to write with. In this case, the man was too poor from spending the last few days in an opiate malaise that he couldn't afford either squid ink, which he preferred, or even ink made using bile, which tended to thicken or dry before being able to use, due to the harsh environments in which he frequently went walking, riding, flying, or sailing through.

Either way, it was time for the writer to clean up. Being on the edge of conscious rational thought. Blissful edge of consciousness. Yes. "Hmm..." he cooed with a contented grin on his face while he swayed in what these peoples called a "hammock." Delightful invention he'd seen replicated a few times from various peoples for various uses. Some held goods, others held good people who loved good times. The man closed his book finally and wrapped a leather thong a few times around a flanged dowel on the opposite cover to keep it bound shut.

"Arlen," a voice called out to the man. Arlen raised his dried palm-frond full brim hat from his face to look for the origin of the summons. "Hey, friend. Good tidings?"

"So far, so good," Arlen said simply with a slight exhale while he settled back into the hammock. "How's your day Dan'el?"

The man Dan'el walked closer and leaned beside the hammock on a palm tree. "Not bad. I saw a saucy little bit of an adventure you might like to take part of," He said and smiled, his white teeth contrasting greatly the caramel coloring of his shoulder length hair and skin. His freckle specked back glistened as he walked shirtless along the beach in a sarong. Arlen was almost as dark a shade, though a different color. The two men had met in a fun-filled revelry a few nights back and had made fast friends, with Dan'el showing him not only the best opium dens in the area, but also the most culturally relevant gatherings and places in town. "There's a ship by the docks. They find treasure for people who've lost it, or who know where it might be. It's an airship though, if you're into that sort of thing." Dan'el pointed to the book in Arlen's lap while he reclined and continued, "I'd bet there is more to put there than you already have. I'd also bet that the ship can get you there faster."

Arlen grinned and chuckled raspily from the night before, a little light sensitive still. "Good thing you don't bet, huh?" he replied to Dan'el. Again he raised the brim a little, just so an eye could catch Dan'el's. "Everyone wants things to be faster. I don't think people realize that the faster they move, the faster life slips through their fingers. That's an altruism I've found so far. That's free advice." Arlen groaned and started to twist himself out of the hammock as if he'd done it his whole life now. He tossed his book onto his bag and motioned for Dan'el to follow him to the waves. Considering the two were the only ones on the small beach on the outskirts of town, Arlen wasn't concerned about thievery. Doubly so considering he had nothing to steal really; nothing of value.

Dan'el declined Arlen's watery offer; the locals not being too keen on actually entering the water. Feeling the waters were filled with spirits, they stayed on boats and dry land if at all possible in honor of the spirits. Apparently, Dan'el had never met a merman, but the mermen had met his people at some point. Crafty little devils. Their women frequently drove sailors mad at sea. "There's an entry in my book on that," he grumbled to himself. "So then," Arlen addressed Dan'el. "What's the name?"

"The ship is the Requiem Dawn. Can't miss it. Big sign. Real professionals," he said nodding with his thumb up. Dan'el's hair swaying with his head in front, while the ponytail bobbed up and down. Arlen jumped into the still salty waters and floated on the surface while he ran his hands through his wet hair.

"Sounds like a bookworm," Arlen said simply.

"Book Worm? What, the ship? Sounds like a paper eating worm?" Dan'el asked, confused. "What do you mean?

"No," Arlen said, shaking his head with a grin. "Nothing... Just about the captain. He's read enough to be able to comfortably place 'Requiem' on his ship. Hopefully he knows how to use the word and not just have heard it somewhere thinking it was terrific or elegant." Arlen rubbed vigorously under his armpit a few times and switched to the other. "Especially as a Captain is that important. Though a man is always deceiving. Appearances are only skin deep. Hope he has substance," Arlen smiled wide for a minute.

"So," Dan'el started. "You're joining?" Arlen nodded in response as he washed off the past few day's grit. "You made me happy friend. You have much yet left to fill your book."

"It wouldn't be my first," Arlen jested.

An open and unlaced shirted figure walked toward the Requiem dawn with a vest and coat draped over an arm, with a machete sheathed and in hand. Include a small bag with writing instruments and a few ointments made from scratch and you had yourself an Arlen. His hair dripping wet though he walked a few minutes in the warm rays of the sun, and clothes to match the hair, a shorter nondescript man asked his business from the deck. That often happened when people got near decks of ships.

"Who is your Captain?" Arlen asked, polite though obvious question to ask.

"Who be ask'n?" The deckhand asked. More shrewd than most, to no really impressive display.

"I am Arlen Vegough, a wandering man with sailing experience. Never held a job on an airship before, but I'd like to try my hand!" he said honestly. Arlen could tell that the bloke thought a moment about how much gold less that would be in his pocket per dock, but could also discern that he wasn't finding much as an answer. "Don't worry, I work cheap. Just a meal and an experience. I prefer to live with only that I need to survive," Arlen added.

The deckhand shrugged and raised his arms a little in a matter of no consequence to him. "Gabriel Solomon," he said simply and walked on to finish his duties.

"Very, um... Helpful..." Arlen grumbled to himself and started walking up the gangplank. At least he didn't smell. His salt-bath helped appearances somewhat, and though it was rarely a problem for him, also odor. It would be nice to have a WARM bath though. He'd only had a couple in his life and was now spoiled forever. Damn civilized technologically advanced folk who used enchanted pipes or furnaces and the natural flow of water to make the most comfortable womb-like experience known to man.

Naturally, Arlen walked confidently up the gangplank and stopped a few feet on-deck, dropping his goods at his feet. His appearance was that of a well-traveled man. Light leather boots showing many leagues to them, soft and faded from their initially red stain. Breeches bearing exotic designs of a far off land, well taken care of, but worn enough nonetheless. An off-white but originally bright-white unlaced tunic that was wrinkled like the rest of his attire. Longish hair with a few long thin brown tightly braided strands ending in glass beads, helping to keep the rest of his hair back as a natural built-in leather hair tie.

"Gabriel Solomon!" he called out. Looking around calmly, Arlen noticed the deck was tidy and the crew busy. Briefly, he considered if it was just an anomaly, or had he come across a treasure hunter that was actually organized? "Anyone know where he might be?" he asked, quite tame. "I'd like to ask him a question regarding work."

A deckhand walking by simply stopped a moment and informed him he wasn't yet on the ship and the first mate was busy, though he was welcome to wait. As long as he stayed on deck, out of the way, and in sight. Nodding his approval, Arlen pushed his belongings beside the gangplank, close to the railing, and sat beside it relaxing with his palm frond hat over his face awaiting the return of the master.

OOC: I know it's long, but i figure I'm just catching up.

That and I might not be able to post the next two days. never know.

IC:
    Cyradis greeted the amiable Xavier with a smile. She was slightly startled when he spoke from behind her, and thus approved of the playful smack he recieved from Sephara. The first mate suggested they move along and the trio continued down the market square.

"Well, I think there's only two stores I'll need to visit since we don't know our next job yet: the arcanum and library. Unless you two are as fond of boring old relics as I am," Cyradis gave an accusing glance at Xavier, "I'll meet up with you all at mess tonight."

Turning down a side street, the Kellan mage passed a few assorted shops and vendors then stopped in front of a small house with a sight out front of a blue eye surrounded in flames. Since the popularity of magic and surplus of magic users had increased, the various guilds go together and decided a new guild was needed to supply their arcane cousins. Cyradis was grateful for the abundance of shops - at least one in every major trade city - but the constant offers to join the guild was beginning to rub a little raw. Still, she could endure it if it meant getting rare metals and gems at a preferential price.

She entered the shop, triggering a magical little chime somewhere in the back storage area. A weathered old man with leather for skin and a lavish blue robe tottered out from behind a wall and gave Cyradis a smile that transformed his face into a continuous wrinkle.

"Welcome," he said in a suprisingly sturdy voice, "Anything particular you need, young Kellan?"

Cyradis gave the shopkeeper a reserved smile, "Jet, onyx and obsidian, if you have any." The merchant furrowed his brow and disappeared back behind the wall.

Cyradis had been collecting those particular minerals for the better part of the year now. They were expensive and hard to find, but were necessary to complete the staff she had barely begun tucked under her bed. It had taken her years to discover the elements that linked to her magic. Magnetism and magnetic fields were not a new form of sorcery, but manipulation of gravity was quite rare. The only mages to have used it were barely above a comparable level of apprentice to other schools. Cyradis reasoned that if she could discover a way to create a working foci, then her knowledge of the power would be complete.

Her past attempts with other minerals, metals, woods and essences resulted in a gravitic field that collapsed on itself and the materials around it, reducing them to dust. She discovered the use of onyx, jet and obsidian after reading a book written by another gravity mage. His attempts failed as well, and it took him most of his life to collect enough samples to make a whole staff. Knowing this, Cyradis decided almsot immediately to begin her stockpike.

The merchant emerged holding a lump of absolutely black rock no bigger than an acorn. "Here were are. I just got this last month. So wasted on trinkets and jewelry. For this rock, thirty crowns."

Cyradis' eyes widened at his price, "That's awefully high for such a small piece!" Cyradis barely had fifty crowns in her purse, but she wasn't quite ready to settle the deal, "Look, it's chipped and impure too. I'll have to have it refined by a smith who knows how to handle jet. That's not a skill many people have. I'll give you fifteen crowns, considering it's condition."

"It's the size of an acorn little miss. Even after refining its worth at least twenty-five!"

"Eighteen, no more. I'll have to pay the smith too, you know. If you want to sell it for twnety-five, go have it refined and I'll come back."

"Fine, deal." The old merchant conceded to Cyradis' point and wrapped the little black rock in a piece of cloth. Cyradis carefully counted out eighteen crowns from her purse while the man had his attention on preparing the jet. Getting his coins, he handed over the rock with a slightly defeated look on his face. "You know, most Kellans that walk in here are completely oblivious to the art of haggling. You impress me."

"Most Kellans," she said as she accepted her prize, "are naieve and have very narrow horizons. I've been an airship mage for a while now. I'm a bit more cultured than my brethren." The two gave each other a smile and Cyradis turned to leave. She stopped short with her hand on the door handle, "Do Kellans come in here often, then?"

"Certainly. Probably a couple every week. Those white robes, silvery hair and purple eyes are a dead giveaway."

"I see. Thank you," Cyradis departed with a slightly confused look on her face. By the time she reached the airship, her confusion had turned to worry. Her mind was still elsewhere as she crossed up the gangplank, passing Sephara giving a new recruit the run-down.

OOC: Sephara or Gabe, whoever ends up interviewing Arlen.
    --Bebedora, Arc the Lad

Post Fiend

Jade & Jasper

Deep in thought Jade almost jumped as she heard a voice from behind. Jasper had noticed him already, of course, but had neglected to warn her. She hated when Jasper did that, knowing very well how foolished she would look if she kept talking out into thin air.

"Oh, hi there," she smiled, hoping indeed she hadn't said anything stupid as he had entered. She remembered she had been talking outloud, either to herself or to Jasper. About what she wasn't too sure.

"I'm Jade Alexander, and indeed the new doc onboard," she continued as she shook Aram's hand.

<He doesn't look too shabby. If you're into his type I mean...> Jasper said with a grin as he placed himself behind his sister. <Not a fighter though. I can tell. I bet you can take him down even. Get my drift? Down!> Jade tried her best to ignore him as he laughed at his own joke.

"I'm almost done here, but it would be lovely if you could show me around the ship. I'm just supposed to hand this list to the First Mate. Sephara Na was it?" Jade said wishing that she could kick Jasper on his shin. "And perhaps I should introduce myself to the Captain. Do you happen to know if he's back yet?"

Regular
    Aram chuckled inwardly. Jade seemed fairly rattled at the sudden intrusion. Her composure regained, the doctor requested a guide and an audience with the captain.

"Sephara Na indeed. She's on shore still with Cyradis gathering supplies I'd wager. As for the Captain, well, he'll be along when he's got us another destination. Now about that tour..."

Leading the way, Aram took a scenic tour of the Requiem. Captains quarters, kitchen, engine room, storage room; Aram showed it all. As Jade took in the rooms, Aram asked little questions about what Jade did before arriving at the Requiem, Where she studied medicine, and her family. Finally the informal interregation and the tour ended when the pair walked out onto the deck.

"Well there you have it. You are now an expert in everything Requiem. Seph and Gabe should be back soon, but until then feel free to explore. If you think of any other questions I'll try to help out."

Before Jade could for a response, a well dressed man inturrupted with a loud call. "Gabriel Solomon! Anyone know where he might be? I'd like to ask him a question regarding work."
    Aram looked around, checking to see if either the captain or firstmate were back yet. Seeing neither, Aram gave a shrug. Aram had no say in those looking to do business with the Skysail Treasure Company, so instead he gave a quick wave to Jade and headed below deck to his room.

OOC: Alright Geco, ready to set sail whenever you are.

Gabriel Solomon & Sephara Na

OOC: Slight change to the gender of the mystery contact, the he is now a she. Also, I’m so happy at the post rate so far ^_^ I promise, just a bit more til we are ready to depart. Also, for SoHee and Darlok, when Seph mentions your chars you’re under no obligation to post about it ^_^

Warning, its a long one, mostly to make sure things are moving. Rensha, I think it's important to play out the interaction with Sephara, so I'd actually like you to reply.

For the 3rd part, when it switches back to Gabe, I apologize if it's difficult to follow. I didn't want to just write a bunch of exposition which just explained everything in one shot. I'll keep revealing more history over the next few posts.

IC:

“And here I thought I was supposed to be meeting a real airship Captain. Guess Tanner didn’t think I was being serious,” a sultry voice purred on his right, and when he turned there she stood, his contact.

“I thought imagining an airship would be easier than buying a real one,” he shrugged off her teasing challenge, “Besides, I was never really into that whole eye patch and parrot thing.” He shot her his most dashing smile.

She surrendered and let out a loud laugh, throwing her head back and placing her hands on her hips, slightly shifting her stance and tilting her head to regard him, “Tanner said to be careful of you.”

“Oh?” was all he replied.

“Mmhmm,” she murmured, obviously taking her time to find a witty enough response. He used those few seconds to look over the woman that might soon be his employer. Immediately he was drawn to her hair. It was bold, consisting of autumn reds, oranges, and browns mixed in with the predominant deep scarlet. It was pulled back in a simple pony tail, exposing a larger forehead. Accentuating her beauty were dark lines around her eyes. Pearl earrings dangled from her ears and a she wore a stud in her nose. Everything about her was bold, a declaration of confidence against judging eyes.

Gabe liked what he saw. “He said you had the tongue of a serpent,” she raised her eyebrow slightly.

“I guarantee I’d never even think of poisoning you.”

“So you admit that you’re somewhat of a snake?”

“Freely, but only because I like to walk in S’s,” he drew the letter in the air with his finger.

Again she threw back her head and laugh, this time taking her hands on her pleated leather skirt and moving towards him. “You’ll do just fine.”

“But I haven’t made up my mind about you yet,” he didn’t feel like ending the play just yet. She paused and shot him a look that told him she knew exactly what was on his mind, but then just shrugged and started walking past him.

“Come, let’s get a drink.”

-o0o-

Back on the Requiem Dawn things seemed, well, good enough. Besides the lack of having a First Mate or Captain to run things by, the crew was getting along well enough. She came back just as Aram was heading below, and cursed for not being a step quicker as she saw Jade was still topside.

“Oh good, you’ve finished,” she said purposely ignoring the stranger perched on the rail walking over to Jade. Without waiting she grabbed the list, looked it over, and handed it back, “Did Aram approve all this? He’s the trader. Good with prices and negotiating with merchants. He keeps the ledger, so he knows the budget. Take him with you to get what you need, be prepared to compromise though. Finances aren’t exactly on the big side,” she patted her on the shoulder, thinking she was done with the doctor, but as she moved away she god that strange feeling again.

Sephara turned back to look at Jade intently for several moments, then at the air around her and in between them. “Why don’t you come see me tomorrow? We’ll talk a bit more about your duties on board.” It was a bad excuse but she didn’t want to put the girl on the defensive or send her running back to land.

“Now then,” she said and turned to greet the stranger, “I’m Sephara Na, First Mate of this ship. How can I help you?”

“Interested in signing up,” he replied calmly, “I’m looking for some work.”

“Well, why don’t we start with your name, and what you’ll bring to our little team here,” she smiled as invitingly as possible, trying to be friendly, but it was supper time and she still hadn’t eaten and was in a cranky mood.

-o0o-

“You’re telling me they hid the secret of how to find Shandalaar in a fairytale? A children’s book?!?”

She just smiled that alluring smile, “That’s what I’m telling you.”

“And that one of the most famous fairytales of all time contains a hidden message about how to find Shandalaar?”

She pursed her lips and nodded, “Yep.”

Gabe’s mouth just hung open for several moments as he stared at her in disbelief. Meg – Meg Lyons in fact is what she’d called herself – had revealed to him her theory. Shandalaar, the enlightened city, was mired in legend and myth, but this?!? This explanation?!? A fairytale?!? “Ho- how can you be so sure? I mean some proof usually helps convince people after all.”

Again with that damn smile that made his heart bounce, “I can’t be, not until we examine a copy of the original published book. That’s why I want to commission your ship to fly me to Gebron. If my theory holds,” she opened her arms to the world, “Shandalaar is next.”

It sounded good... too good. And too easy. “Why can’t you use any old copy? I’m sure there’s plenty round here.”

She giggled, only it was more manly than giggling. Gabe wondered if there was a word to described that. Chortle? Guffaw? He had no clue. “The People of Shandalaar believed in the number eight. Eight virtues to live your life by, an eight-point compass as their symbol, eight judges to preside over matters of law, and eight districts from which representatives were elected to the senate. Eight. It’s also the number of books that were originally made, how many chapters are in the book, and it’s in the original title. Today we know it as ‘The Tales of Alexander and Rock’, but it’s original title in the language of Sindaar was, literally translated, ‘The 8 Quests of Life’. You see, in Sindaar, Talle is eight, Al’Xandraas is Quests or Noble Paths, and, well, rock is pretty much rock.”

The Captain looked at her incredulously. Who was this woman, “You know ancient Sindaar?”

“Enough to read it,” she nodded matter of factly as if it was no big deal, “Thought it might be a good thing to learn given the subject matter,” she commented with a twinkle in her eye.

Was it pride and jealously that were keeping him from believing her? As she’d told him her story over a bowl of stew and a pint he had questioned everything, and she had answered every question patiently and directly like you would with a child. After all his own searching, all his failed theories, was this what it came down to? Was it the feeling of being bested after looking so hard? For, ultimately, failing where she had succeeded.

Meg and her canary eyes seemed to be to tell what was going on in his head, because the next thing she said was, “It was a complete accident I even found out about any of this. I was actually doing research on Sir Eldric and the Spring of Life when I came across the scribbling of a fallen academic. After reading his fanciful proposition I dismissed it myself.

“Later that night I told one of my colleagues about the book and was describing the man’s theory of how the citizens of Shandalaar hid the secret path to their city in eight separate books, each relating to one of their eight virtues. Heh,” she gave a small laugh as she retold her memory, “His daughter had been listening I guess and said, ‘Just like Alexander and Rock!’ I asked her what she meant and she brought me a copy of the fairytale, ‘Each quest they go on teaches them a lesson,’ she said, ‘Just like the Shan’dlar’s virtues, right,”

Gabe tried to suppress a smile as she mimicked the child’s voice, and could feel a wave resentment disappear. “So, we take you to Gebron, you read the book, and if it’s genuine we go forward from there, 80/20 split.”

“Please, don’t even try to negotiate with me. The split, the fair split,” she emphasized, “Will be 65/35.”

Impressed, Gabe merely smiled and stood up from the table, “Done. Now that that’s settled, I must get back to my ship. Do you have many belongings to bring with you?”

“Go attend to your ship Gabriel, I’ll find my way before tenth bell.”

“Yes Ma’am,” he said in a slightly mocking tone.

She laughed and it was a pearl to behold, just like her earrings, “There’s no need to call me Ma’am.”

“Sorry Ma’am, but your my employer now. After all, a ship without proper order is, well, chaos. We can’t have chaos aboard our ship, can we Ma’am?”

Her eyes inspected him for an instant, trying to discern his genuine motives, then she released a warm smile as if she’d found her answer, “So be it. I shall see you soon.”

“Ma’am,” he gave her a flourishing bow, pivoted, and left the establishment and entered onto the street. Walking back towards the docks he kept the mental image of Meg at the front of his mind and held a wide grin on his face. Oh boy, he was in trouble with this one.

Thread Information