Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: The Skysail Treasure Co.

ooc: Well since it seems I can't use the PM feature until I've got more posts I guess I'll just have to talk here :/ Yeah, I'll scale back his beefiness a bit. I'm just kinda used to RPs with a bit higher level of power among players, sorry about that. As far as profession, he could probably swing being a pilot/navigator. Guess I should write up a history too.

As for where he joins in, I've talked with Xavier there about it a bit, and he can fill you in, since I can't PM yet or anything,

Veteran
    The captain had thrust upon Arlen a duty or two since he'd shown prowess with a bow and ability in leadership. Somewhat something he didn't wish for. Communities could be large or small, and due to previous memories had long ago concluded that he'd be no major part of one. As long as it suited him, though, he would stay.

"Bloodlust," Arlen heard. He hadn't needed to get the order to know something had to be done. Another fellow and he had jumped on the nearby Hazrem, taking him to the ground. "Don't hurt them if you can help it!" he heard Gabriel say. Promptly, Arlen gave a firm headbutt to the sailor, one of his trio of archers. Struck out cold, he would pose no problem. Though the Shaman would.

"Sorry, Cap'n, I didn't catch that!" He yelled back as he stood up, taking his bow again. Spotting the shaman on a thunderbird coming straight for the ship, he quickly ran to the rail and over a dead Orc. "Form up! Fire at will on the thunderbird!" he shouted to anyone with a bow. The horrible screeches of pain coming from the giant bird were nearly deafening the close it got, but loss of hearing was better than loss of life. Lightning shot splinters up in front of Arlen, causing him to flinch just before firing. Missing his intended target, it caught the bird in the breast, a minor wound.

A man was down on the auto bowcaster, draped across it. It was a better mechanism than to be so misused. Tossing his bow and quiver down he sprinted toward it and grabbed the man. Feeling his neck Arlen caught a faint pulse. Gingerly lowering him to the ground he gave it a mighty crank. The archers were firing valiantly at the bird, and it was becoming erratic. The Shaman was getting nervous aboard it and tried to get it steered toward the ship so he could bail out.

Keen eyes caught the bird in the sights and with a press of two thumb triggers four distinct twangs could be heard among the cranking noises. A big red spray came one after the next as the four bolts impacted the bird in short succession. The Shaman jumped from the bird just before it fell, and grabbed stiff hold of the railing. Jumping from off of the bowcaster platform, Arlen drew his shortsword. Sprinting, Arlen chopped down on the fingers of the Shaman and felt the sword embed into the wood. He looked over the edge and watched as the cursing Shaman fell to the water below, holding onto his hand. The thunderbird crashed upon the water with an electrical plume and Arlen turned his attention back to the ship. Sheathing the sword he ran back to the boy that had been by the bowcaster. Grabbing him up, he ran below decks to the doctor, that strange young Jade woman.

Arlen rolled the young strong man out of his arms and onto her floor like he was made of gossamer. "Young miss, you're the doctor, but he doesn't seem too badly injured. Perhaps you should see if there is any venom to draw," he offered quickly and ran back topdeck as fast as he had come. A giant axe blotted out the sun behind him just as soon as he was coming up. Not much room to move coming out of the hatch, Arlen simply ducked into a ball. Arlen breathed a sigh of relief when the axe stuck in the wood beside him. Punching the Orc in the face brought him nothing but bloody knuckles as the Orc shrugged it off. Yanking on the axe, it came free along with splinters. Arlen pulled his sword out and the Orc raised his axe above his head. Instead of just killing Arlen, it seemed it wanted to see if it could cut him in two as well.

Arlen's sword went straight up into its head and pushed its simple skullcap helmet up on the other side. Black blood poured down Arlen's arms and onto his clothes. He was not having a good day already, since the attack. Now he was covered in this warm gooey black staining liquid that was probably good enough for oil lube in an airship's machinery.

Shoving up and letting go of his sword, the Orc fell back. Arlen tore his shirt off and threw it aside as he arrived top-deck. The tattoos of his life's journey covered his torso and arms, which was probably unexpected to many. They radiated from his chest like rays of the sun in all different forms, fashions, styles, and tongues like a living parchment of his life and accomplishments. Arlen grabbed hold of the sword's hilt again and put a foot on the orc's collarbone and slid it out. A grim look on his face and black orc-blood streaming across his tattooed body while he walked across a bloody deck with sword in hand, it wasn't exactly his ideal picture of the afternoon. "Damned Orcs..." Arlen grunted under his breath while he bee-lined for his bow.

He had a job to do in leading his newly acquired archer regiment and he would damn well finish it. There was plenty to do in making sure the only orc falling on deck was a dead one. "HEY ARCHERS!" he called in a low raspy bellow. "What're you shooting at, eh?! Forget the birds, there's enough orcs on deck to start a colony! Take 'em down! Help out the skirmishers!" Arlen sheathed his sword, picked up the bow, and snatched up his quiver once more. He pulled out an arrow and nocked it while he searched for a target. There, behind that Kaltor fellow about ten paces was an Orc.

"Kaltor, behind you!" Arlen called out, across the deck and quickly drew and fired. Before the swordsman knew the Orc was there, an arrow was past him and embedded into the running orc's leg. In short order it stumbled and fell a step or two from Kaltor and easy prey. "One more Shaman, but where?" he thought.

OOC: Sorry for the long post. Getting sort of tired of a long battle, just trying to kill some Orc to get it moving.

Last edited by Arctic Phoenix; 14-03-2016 at 00:19.

OOC: Consider yourself greenlighted Phoenix ^_^ Welcome Back!

Last edited by Arctic Phoenix; 14-03-2016 at 00:20.

OOC: Xavier wouldn't let someone help him do repairs, not after all the work he has put into the ship. He's kind of... crazy when it comes to his babies. He might, however, take you up as an apprentice on a later date.

IC: The pipe found home in the Orc's face, knocking it to the ground, the weapon barely missing Gabe's face. "Sorry!" He turns around, watching a lightning bolt strike the deck of the ship, blowing some of the boards up; still nothing that would damage the engines. "We have to get those Thunderbirds taken care of! Lightning is the hardest damage to repair!" He runs up to Gabe, grabbing him on the shoulder. "Look, I'd say six or seven more hits like this and we're done for. Would you like me to do some maneuvers? My piloting isn't the best but it's better to weave than keep a straight path."

OOC: Sorry for the double post; I also didn't realize that Phoenix had posted. Awkward, just tell Xavier that she's got the wheel or something. Anywhom, I hadn't imagined the airship with balloons, I was imagining something more like an old merchant ship with tons of propellers, however, the balloon could work.

Sephara Na

OOC: Haha, a long battle Ren? Come on now ^_^ I rarely ever even have battles in my threads so you should just be happy really.

Kich, rather than double post you can edit your previous one and add the OOC to the bottom. Not a big deal, just something for next time. Oh, and you're posting in the first person again ^_^

Phoenix, there was never a vision for the ships set. I said at the beginning whoever wanted to be engineer could do it, which is Kich, but it has still been left in limbo. I like the standard thing you've set out, so let's run with that. If you have any links to resources about steam punk airships post them for the rest of us.

Zed, in terms of feedback, the best I can give is don't try to make your character awesome. Re-read some favourite authors and think about how they write. Most first timers or younger writers get caught up in just wanting to write about all the cool stuff their char can do or cool items they possess (I know I did way back when ^_^) but you'll realize it gets tired quickly and doesn't add much to the story. Instead, genuinely try to be your character, think how they feel and react and try to integrate yourself into the story. The best experiences I've had was when players all helped build on the plot.

Time to move us forward I guess. PHOENIX, can you crash land us on my island ^_^

IC:

“Just wrap it up. You can stitch it later,” she replied calmly. Jade began her work as Sephara grew antsy. She’d only come down to make sure it wasn’t life threatening, and given Jade’s reaction she knew she’d be fine, and she only wanted to get back to the fray.

Waiting was an unproductive thing, so she decided to do something with her time. Kesra was the energy force her people believed resided in all living things. To harness it effectively was to wield great power. At the most basic level, every member of her tribe was taught how to control the Kesra in themselves to produce a variety of effects. For now, she concentrated on reducing the pain in her arm. Closing her eyes she inhaled deeply. Her body was working hard, she could hear as much. Listening to her pulse she breathed deep until she could feel her heart steady. Suddenly her surroundings were more in tune. The Spirit Dancer could sense Jade’s anxiety, but also her calm demeanour. Rage from the Orcs seeped through the wood like water and she could even pick out Gabe specifically, having been around him for so long.

With sudden alarm she opened her eyes and bolted upright. “Woah! Calm down, calm down,” she heard Jade’s soothing voice, but she ignored it. She had felt another presence in the room with them. Her hand rested uneasily on the blade at her hip, but there was no one else there.

Shaking her head she turned, “Sorry doc, I thought someone else was- oh Khutra Nom!” she exclaimed, startled by the apparition that was hovering by the medical supplies. The ghost was regarding her with no fear, but she sensed a profound happiness. “What in the seven hells is going on?”

Jade was looking back and forth between Jasper and Sephara, and when Jasper nodded she knew Sephara had stumbled on her secret. “He’s with me. Sort of like my protector,” she explained. “Anyways, don’t worry about it. I’ll explain it to you after. You’re all set. You should get back topside.” Even her friendly smile did nothing to really reassure Sephara, but Jade was right. The crew needed her on deck.

“After this,” she began.

“Uh-huh,” Jade murmured and smiled again.

Stumbling out of the room she made her way to the stairs, but before she could shift her thoughts, they were shifted for her. Seeing some of the crew members being carried down towards the doctor’s office did that for her. As much as she wanted to get back, she helped deliver the men to Jade’s capable hands, sputtering whatever words she could think of that would ease their suffering. “You’re okay,” she’d said, or, “Everything will be fine. We’ll make them pay.” She liked the last one the best.

Finally, she was back at the stairs, but it was bad timing. What sounded like a bag of flour tumbled down the port stairs, and when she looked across she could see the familiar body of their deputy pilot Yoren, bloodied and contorted. “No! Yoren!” she yelled in anguish. Why were her friends dying.

Without warning the Dawn arched up, and she had to brace herself against the wall to stop from losing balance. Running up the steps she saw Archamae was at the helm. “Nice of you to join us,” she said with some contempt. The woman had her share of problems, the drink was only one, and Sephara had never been a fan. Gabriel said he trusted her though. Had said he understood what it felt like to be broken and black.

Sephara immediately regretted the tone she’d used. It wasn’t the girl’s fault this was happening and even she didn’t deserve that. “Sorry. Just upset,” she tried to brush it off and Arch seemed to want to do the same, because she just nodded and shrugged. “What’s the situation?”

“Seems like most the damage ‘as been done. Only one or two Orcs left. Wait a second, better get ready.” Sephara turned her head to where the pilot was looking and saw a Thunderbird on approach. Arlen was furiously cranking the boltcaster at the front of the ship. The last Shaman dived onto the ship just as the bolt bored holes into the bird. It dropped several feet, but regained its composure briefly. It shrieked and suddenly lightning was tearing through the center of the deck. “Look out!” she heard Arch’s cry and could feel the Dawn heave to port. The quick move worked as the lighnting skidded by the pair and blew the stern boltcaster into firewood. Thankfully that was the end of it, and the thunderbird plunged into the sea below.

Gabe and the crew rushed the Shaman. A great ball of fire shot from his staff and she watched in horror as another friend howled in pain and threw himself over the railing. Swords belonging to Kaltor and Gabe stabbed indiscriminately into the final attacker, but the damage was done. Smoke wafted from various places on the ship, including the starboard turbine. Chunks of wood and metal lay scattered everywhere, as did the dark red stains of blood and gut. From her right she heard a sputtering noise, and she saw the turbine starting to fail. Arch caught it too, “Better get them strapped in tight Seph. We’re going down.”

Sephara pushed herself into motion, although her body fought her every step. One look was enough to see the crew had been through enough. Out of the twenty-two they had begun with, she only counted eleven still standing. That meant at least 10 dead or injured. They deserved a rest, but the world could be cruel. “Men!” she used ever last ounce of energy to make sure she was heard, “Prepare for an emergency landing! We’re going down!”

OOC: I don't know what it is, but I just can't write short posts ^_^
    Last edited by Geco; 11-09-2009 at 17:06.

Veteran
    OOC: Welcome back Pheonix. ;)

Can I throw my hat into the ring that I don't particularly, for if nothing else awkwardness, care for the dirigible-style airship but a heavily modified Galleon-style is still what I envision. With an above-deck and also a glass enclosed (for windy days and bad weather) piloting station, or combination thereof. Sort of like a Convertible car. What i do see though is a set of sails for using the upper atmosphere's higher winds for extra thrusting power. and in the case of a water landing as a secondary locomotive force if they run out of fuel for whatever reason. Kichi also already mentioned a mast too, so i ran with it. (i can change the short mention of it to a balloon rope if I need to.

Geco, you want me to draw something up for a steam-punk design that can float in wetdocks? You mentioned sea ports were converted. I can do a dry-dock design too, or both, which would make it versatile.

Kichi, Geco, darlok, Shari - Check your messages please. ;)

IC:

"Dammit!" Arlen growled, seeing the thunderbird tumble and the last shaman jump off.

"Look out!" a shrill call came, from what seemed to be the bridge. Just in time the ship heaved, and Arlen had jumped. From the movement of the ship, he was a good ten feet above deck now and falling. A cord from the jib of the lower spars, a secondary thrust device to help save on fuel and increase speed, started sailing by and Arlen grabbed it and jerked about as the ship righted itself. That was the second erratic movement in only a couple of minutes. He rather liked when Captain Gabriel was piloting compared to this wahoo.

His arms were already tired from cranking the bowcaster himself and shoving it around to fire too. Those things weren't light, but he was happy the trigger mechanism itself wasn't another taxing effort. He could see it was in splinters and smoking beneath him while he swayed, stuck to the jib. "This won't be nice," he said to himself and let go. It wasn't a long drop, really, but Arlen wasn't so young anymore, he just hoped he didn't sprain anything. Arlen dropped the quiver from his shoulder and braced himself. Swinging, he let go and rolled as he hit the deck. Standing, Arlen brushed himself off and found nothing harmed in his self examination.

"Prepare for an emergency landing! We're going down!" he heard Sephara yell out to the crew. Her voice was strong and unmistakable. Arlen rather fancied the young woman the few days he'd been aboard. She had a point though, he saw smoke trailing from both rear turbines. In a morbid realization, Arlen realized that they hadn't really gone over the procedures for a crash landing.

Running below decks to his cabin, as he saw a few others doing that still lived, he planned to jump under his cot, which was securely bolted, and hang on with sheets around him as a little padding.

If the hull didn't take the crash, they were dead anyway. Might as well be crushed by a massive weight.

Veteran
    Only posting here so I can see my name as the last poster in all the threads. What a jerk eh?!

The battle wound down as quickly as it began. Cyradis was leaning on her knees slightly as the immediate threat passed. There was still some fighting with a couple living orcs middecks when the ship suddenly putched upwards. Cyradis flailed her arms as she lost her balance and stumbled backwards into one of Arlen's shiney enchanted mirrors. Cluching the railing until the ship levelled out, Cyradis cursed as she heard the thunderbird's telltale shriek. Dangerous black smoke was rising around the ship's port engine.

Sephara emerged from the bridge shortly after alerting the crew to a crash landing. Cyradis smriked cynnically at the thought. What a perfect way to end a rather disturbing day. Cyradis certainly wasn't the only one who noticed how far outside thier normal territory the orcs were. Airship sailors tended to memorized those areas quickly, especially ones who transported potentially valuable carge across it.

The ship turned gently to the portside. Cyradis looked out over the water and saw the tiny spot of green and brown poking out from all the blue. Cyradis went down the staircase and into the bridge where Archamae was carefully manipulating the tiller. She gave the helmswoman a nervous smile. As the wounded airship drew closer to the island, Cyradis could make out a ring of dark sand surrounding a bay on the easy side of the island.

"There, Arch, the bay. Sand and water are better than trees and a mountain side." Cyradis sighed and wiped the moisture from her brow. She hadn't even realized she was sweating. "Mabey I can soften the landing."

She left the bridge and made quickly towards the fore deck. Most of the airmen were below deck in thier cabins praying to survive. Cyradis wasn't an officer - technically Archamae was third mate, a shuddering thought - but she still felt a certain obligation to the Dawn. It was her home now afterall. Plus, she really wanted to live, and if she could do anything to make the landing easier, she might actually pull through.

Casting her senses outward, she immediately felt the weight of her fatigue from crushing the shaman earlier. In hindsight, not such a great idea. Almost a quickly, though, she recognized a very familiar mineral in the sand of the beach. Volcanic glass, otherwise known as obsidian, absolutely saturated the sediment in the bay and the sand and ground soil across the entire island. Cyradis smiled and extended her hands infront of her, plams open. Distorted space rippled around her feet and the wildly flapping hem of her robe. Closing her eyes, the Kellan mage's awareness left her body, as she pushed her power to its physical limit. Truthfully, she was capable of stopping the ship right now and lowering it like a leaf to the ground, but that would probably kill her. And she still really wanted to live.

A mile away, the black sand and small rocks sprang to life, touched by an unfamiliar force. The water in the bay seemed to drain as the volcanic overflow beneath it rose. The distance between the airship and beach lasped in a few seconds. Everyone left alive on the wounded galleon could feel the impending crash. Cyradis, however, was still standing with her arms out. For her, the impact came in slow motion. The keel sliced through Cyradis' prepared sand, but instead of displacing the sand and skipping off the surface, the black crystals clung to the ship like tar. The Dawn's immense momentum was far more than Cyradis could handle, but the helpful sand had slowed the Dawn considerably before it's exhausted manipulator's arms fell to her side as she collapsed onto the deck.

As Cyradis hit the wooden planks, the resistance from the sand quite suddenly relaxed, allowing the water to return and the Dawn to slide out of the bay and onto the beach.

OOC: How much further it goes it reliant entirely upon Geco (however much damage he wants done to the ship). All in all, the effect I was going for would be like a bungee cord without the snap-back. It's easy to pull at first but gets increasingly more resistant. Anyway, I imagine beyond the beach are trees and such... or a village. Civilizations tend to sprout up around bays, after all. As always, if anything is unacceptable, I defer to Geco on the matter :)

And apparantly I can't seem to post under a few paragraphs either >.< Sorry for the length. I hope it's easy enough to read. I didn't really edit this XD
    "I am the brightest light, for I am darkness. I know everything, for I know nothing. I am a container, brimming with emotion, for I am empty."
    --Bebedora, Arc the Lad

"Intelligence is the key, and she is locked out." - Josh Sneed, in reference to his ex.

OOC: Okay, I've edited my character sheet and stuff, hopefully it meets with your approval now :3

Thread Information