Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Utopia held hostage #1.

Utopia held hostage #1.

Tags means my views.

"Utopia Developers’ Update 9th September
    Here is the Blog for this week from Brian - please post comments here as usual:

Greetings Utopians,

Sean and I have been trying to get all those bugs fixed over the last week. <trying isn't the same as doing. 'Try' giving some results for next week> There were about 260 bugs, most of which we’ve already fixed but there’s still a few left. We’re not going to reopen the Alpha until those bugs are killed. We want the next Alpha round to be a big improvement. We’ll email all the Alpha testers when it’s back up. <I'll believe that when I see it>

A while back, we announced the Utopia wiki. <which was, and still is, a huge failure, because your company has managed to chase most of the die-hards away, using stupid policies, broken promises, outright lies, and extremely poor management> A small group of volunteers put in some great work to get it where it is today. <you mean the 100% incorrect stuff about dragons? Oh, okay> We all know there are a few mistakes in it, but it’s a really good basis from which to build a rich and accurate resource for Utopia players new and old. <not really, because you don't have anyone who knows how things work left who's willing to support your 'cause> Today, we’re opening up the wiki so anyone can edit it. <my stupidity sense is tingling> Let’s all help make it better. <pay Bijo to spam it with useless formulae. Same effect>

http://wiki.utopia-game.com

So, questions from last week:

Luth: Can we PLEASE just end genesis now?

That’s not going to happen until the new game is ready to go. <why? Is it really so hard for Dylan C to make his slave Roisin reset it, so we - you know - have something to do while you stall on the 'new code?' Obviously, this is so>

Luth (re, Spell page redesign): Are you still going to split them into “instant”, “timed”?

We haven’t decided yet. We’ve gotten both positive and negative feedback on that.

Palem: As I take this, when they start up Gen on the new code and end WoL at the same time. Then assuming the start goes smoothly, WoL will be launched on the new code. My problem is, what if the start doesn’t go smoothly, which is exactly what I’ve learned to expect out of OMAC?

1st: We make sure the Alpha is running smoothly. <I'll believe that when I see it>

2nd: We run Genesis on the new code and make sure it is running smoothly. <same here>

3rd: Once Genesis is shown to be stable, we’ll end WoL and start a new age on the new code. <same here>
    We want to minimize the risk. <I'm sure> We’re working so hard on the Alpha because we want Genesis to run smoothly. <six months isn't enough time to make a text-based, browser-based game run?> If there still happens to be problems with Genesis, then at least we can be 100% focused on getting them fixed as soon as possible. <except on weekends, of course>

Hurlin: When you open up the beta to try and get real time testing done …. will you let people try out multiple accounts at the same time ?

Perhaps. We’ll see how many players we have at the time and decide if we need to do this. <I'm sure you'll get at least 50 total> Thanks for the suggestion.

Luth (re. Spell page redesign): It was my understanding that we were supposed to be receiving essentially the same product we have currently … So why, exactly, B&S, are you making such changes? because it seems to me that could be contributing to the continual delays.

We said from the outset that save for a few navigational changes the game would be the same. We knew that this was important to the community. We’ve gone to incredible lengths to ensure that this new version is a true representation of the original. If anything, it’s largely our dedication to faithfully replicating this game that has delayed us, not making fanciful changes on a whim. <no. You fell into the exact same trap that all non-guided developers do>

VT2: So, I ask you - again - why should we give you more of our patience?

For too long this game has been in decline. Bugs have gone ignored and new features haven’t been possible because the code base became too unwieldy to amend and the original developer lost interest. Sean and I decided to open this can of worms, make sense of it and get it back on track. We’ve been working non-stop on rebuilding it for over 6 months. In just the last week we’ve fixed over 150 bugs. Ask yourself, when was the last time that so much work was being done on this game? This game now has a fantastic chance of renewed growth and long life. <no, not really. Try keeping to your deadlines, not making promises you know you won't be able to keep, doing some advertisment, getting a much improved community management and mods installed, not making lies, and not making horrible rip-offs of the game, that you market as the next big thing, when clearly it's just an attempt to save time, face, and make some fast money>

Brian"
    Catwalk's crusade for legalized cheating was a stunning success, with ghettos and low-tiered teams everywhere losing their wells of knowledge to better kingdoms in the process.

Step one: replace everything that works.
    Step two: blame the predictable epic fail on outside forces.
    Step three: keep the community informed that no progress has been made since the last update.
    Step four: thank you for your patience.

yup, you nailed it... Utopia held hostage...

says it all
    ~ Lúthien ~
    “There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ~Albert Schweitzer
    Words make us think thoughts... Music makes us feel feelings... Songs make us feel thoughts" ~"Yip" Harburg
    Goodnight Utopia

i agree with most said
    OLDSCHOOL

Inferno of Absalom
    The Gay

Post Demon
    VT2 does more to kill this game than OMAC could dream of

not true luc
    OLDSCHOOL

Inferno of Absalom
    The Gay

Not really.
    For instance, I haven't made a single deadline so far that I've broken, I've not made any lies about the state of the game, and I haven't redesigned and 'modernized' the login-system, which cost 3k players.
    Likewise, I haven't let a supposedly three week age last five months, nor have I added a race 'for fun, while you wait for the 'new code' to be completed.'

If success is measured in epic fail, OMAC are the emperors of the kings of gods.
    Catwalk's crusade for legalized cheating was a stunning success, with ghettos and low-tiered teams everywhere losing their wells of knowledge to better kingdoms in the process.

Step three: keep the community informed that no progress has been made since the last update.

Post Demon
    This game = the community. The game is dying because the community is. And you do nothing at all that has any positive effect on the community at all. In fact, you do the opposite. You are one of those anti-productivity people who have a single talent: complaining and pointing out what others do wrong. It's completely counter-productive and a useless talent for anyone to have.

Criticism should be given when deserved, and OMAC deserve a lot. But what you have to give is nothing but negativity. What's needed is people who try to do something about the situation instead of whine about it. In other words, the opposite of VT2, who does nothing but inspire other people to jump on the negativity bandwagon.

The game dies because the people who work to save the situation (for example those involved in coding tools etc.) are too few, and the whiners like VT2 are too many. Mehul clearly had little difficulty leaving the game as soon as someone wanted to buy it, which shows how unlikable the community had become even then

You're pathetic VT2. You're here because you like the feeling of people jumping on the bandwagon behind you, and you don't give a **** that the bandwagon is heading in the wrong direction. Shows just how selfish and useless you are. Pathetic

The community died when OMAC silently told people like Ezzerland, me, Catwalk, and Toadi that we were no longer welcome, and sent their moderators on a quest to shut us up.

"This game = the community. The game is dying because the community is. And you do nothing at all that has any positive effect on the community at all. In fact, you do the opposite. You are one of those anti-productivity people who have a single talent: complaining and pointing out what others do wrong. It's completely counter-productive and a useless talent for anyone to have." So you're saying that if no one complains, we magically get better products, and everything takes care of itself? You must be dumber than you look.

What bandwagon?
    You mean the one I started, because I hate OMAC, then everyone else who agreed with me joined up behind me?

Can't you go away, Luc?
    You're just taking up space that I could use for something better, like telling OMAC how much they suck, and how much I want Mehul back.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Luc View Post
    You are one of those anti-productivity people who have a single talent: complaining and pointing out what others do wrong. It's completely counter-productive and a useless talent for anyone to have.
    It's funny cus this describes you as well. Examples:

And you do nothing at all that has any positive effect on the community at all. In fact, you do the opposite.

But what you have to give is nothing but negativity. What's needed is people who try to do something about the situation instead of whine about it. In other words, the opposite of VT2, who does nothing but inspire other people to jump on the negativity bandwagon.
    You're pathetic VT2. You're here because you like the feeling of people jumping on the bandwagon behind you, and you don't give a **** that the bandwagon is heading in the wrong direction. Shows just how selfish and useless you are. Pathetic

Post Demon
    Quote Originally Posted by VT2 View Post
    The community died when OMAC silently told people like Ezzerland, me, Catwalk, and Toadi that we were no longer welcome, and sent their moderators on a quest to shut us up.
    They silently told that you won't get everything the way you want. Which is completely natural in your case VT2, because you're dumb.

Edit: sorry for the harsh tone toward the other 3 from the quote. Should've worded things a lot better since I don't know what's been going on in private. What I tried to say is that sometimes you need to step back and let something happen no matter how wrong you think it is. OMAC is in control of the game, like it or not. Sometimes it's better to just be silent and try to find other ways (and I don't know to what extent you've already done that, so it's not meant as criticism).

What we don't need is the bitter hatred posts, no matter how justified (or politely worded, it still shines through), from anyone at all. Fight personal vendettas out if you want, as long as they don't affect the whole community (attacking OMAC does that).

So you're saying that if no one complains, we magically get better products, and everything takes care of itself? You must be dumber than you look.
    Oh yes, because negative feedback and whining inspires everybody to greatness?

Ever heard of something called constructive criticism? It usually makes people much more willing to listen to you, and actually want to improve.

What bandwagon?
    You mean the one I started, because I hate OMAC, then everyone else who agreed with me joined up behind me?

Can't you go away, Luc?
    You're just taking up space that I could use for something better, like telling OMAC how much they suck, and how much I want Mehul back.
    So you openly admit to not having any interest in saving this game.

I wish you could use all that energy you seem to possess to actually do some good

Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    It's funny cus this describes you as well. Examples:
    If you're gonna try to make a point, why don't you give some examples that actually show it? Such as examples of how most of my posts are geared toward pissing the developers of the game off, and arrogantly "teaching" nubs things about the game that aren't true. Or posts that show you know me well enough to know what I've done for the game. Or posts that show how all I want is for people to join me in trying to destroy the game. I'm actually trying to do my part by getting rid of the nothing-but-negative people (or trying to make them understand that they're not making anything better). I'm also currently developing some tools that I mean to release publically when they're done.

What have you yourself done that makes you feel warranted in taking a dump on me? I mean, other than jumping on VT2's bandwagon of mindless whining?

I'll be waiting
    Last edited by Luc; 12-09-2009 at 15:17.

You don't even know what's been going on on these forums, do you?
    Either that, or you're too dumb to understand it. What this all means is that, in my eyes, you're just a silly, little joke.
    Go away.

Major Fail, Luc.
    Quote Originally Posted by VT2
    I should get a medal for all the common sense I highlight on a daily basis.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<Bishop> I don't dislike Ezzerland
    <Bishop> We are just incompatible

<~Palem> I read that as "snuffleupegas gropes Palem" twice lol

Post Demon
    If you want to pretend to be the part who did nothing wrong and was right in everything, go ahead. I wouldn't expect anything less

Ask yourselves why OMAC should give a **** about doing anything you ask them to. Right from the start, they got nothing but demands from the community. All the people who know best telling them what to do. These guys are human too, how the hell do you expect them to respond to all the arrogance and self righteousness of the utopian community?

You probably think you've been doing a good job at constructive criticism, but that's a delusion, a result of complete lack of self distance.

Some people here on the forum actually do a good job. They argue for their points, don't try to force it onto other people, and when they don't get their way, they accept it and try to find a constructive way to deal with things. I'm not gonna say that is easy in any way. I don't have any trust left in OMAC, although I feel that Brian and Sean should at least be given a chance. But it doesn't change the fact that nothing is gonna get better for all this endless whining. If you can't deal with it, then leave the forum and try something else, something you CAN influence.

Also, I'm not trying to say I'm perfect in any way. I get just as frustrated and angry. I say stupid things. I probably scared away some people that were just trying their best. There's no excuse for that. But at least I try to not make things worse on such a large scale, and i try to make the best of the changes introduced to the game, instead of just whining about them

It doesn't matter what you think about OMAC, it doesn't matter how righteous you feel, it doesn't matter how much they deserve anything you might think they deserve, it doesn't matter how fail you think I am. None of that changes anything. Whining and negative criticism still won't help save this game, ever.
    Last edited by Luc; 09-09-2009 at 22:21.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by flutterby View Post
    major fail, luc.
    +1!!

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    If you're gonna try to make a point, why don't you give some examples that actually show it? Such as examples of how most of my posts are geared toward pissing the developers of the game off, and arrogantly "teaching" nubs things about the game that aren't true. Or posts that show you know me well enough to know what I've done for the game. Or posts that show how all I want is for people to join me in trying to destroy the game. I'm actually trying to do my part by getting rid of the nothing-but-negative people (or trying to make them understand that they're not making anything better). I'm also currently developing some tools that I mean to release publically when they're done.
    Perhaps try reading what you wrote? Says nothing about devs or people in particular. I'll refresh your memory.
    You are one of those anti-productivity people who have a single talent: complaining and pointing out what others do wrong. It's completely counter-productive and a useless talent for anyone to have.
    You've done nothing in here except ***** and talk about what VT2 is doing wrong in his attempts to better Utopia. Fits what you said to a 't'.

What have you yourself done that makes you feel warranted in taking a dump on me? I mean, other than jumping on VT2's bandwagon of mindless whining?

I'll be waiting
    1. I agreed to the Terms of Service so I have the right to say whatever the hell I want as long as I'm not breaking any rules.
    2. I started the assault on OMAC before VT2. I would hardly say I jumped on his bandwagon.
    3. I haven't gone after OMAC for quite some time now.
    4. I don't think I'm better than anyone on these forums and likewise I don't think of anyone as any better than I am.
    5. I don't sit around and ***** about people *****ing, which would make myself a hypocrite.
    6. Good luck with your tools. Please don't spam them around like Bijo.

Thread Information