Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Joke mutated into IRCvMSN Debate

Joke mutated into IRCvMSN Debate

<KdBot> »» OMAC_Sucks_Giant_Balls's Inspire Army has ended!

lol made my day.
    Last edited by Bishop; 14-10-2009 at 17:15.
    S E C R E T S

irc is gay

Lol dh
    ~ Lúthien ~
    “There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ~Albert Schweitzer
    Words make us think thoughts... Music makes us feel feelings... Songs make us feel thoughts" ~"Yip" Harburg
    Goodnight Utopia

Regular
    haha

IRC is the hideout of famous cheaters like Catwalk and stoffi :/

lol

Post Fiend
    lol wtf

/me ^5s Cartis!
    S E C R E T S

what is irc?

An outdated chat system, in which you need a separate program installed on your computer to access. Many smaller server companies won't even let you install the server-side code because it causes instability. There are also a number of IRC exploits that can be used as a back-door into your computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Transbot9 View Post
    An outdated chat system, in which you need a separate program installed on your computer to access. Many smaller server companies won't even let you install the server-side code because it causes instability. There are also a number of IRC exploits that can be used as a back-door into your computer.
    If you have Java, which most people do, then no you do not need to install an IRC program. There are multiple easy access sites to use Java chat version. Chatzilla also has access. And I would hardly call it outdated, it's chat, not rocket science.
    S E C R E T S

Post Demon
    MSN is the most widely used chat tool nowadays afaik, and it's also something you need to download and install, and it also has security issues. It's also inferior to IRC from a utopia usability point of view.

And of course there are web clients for most things that you don't need to install

It comes with windows.
    You don't need to configure ports.
    You don't need to know anything about firewalls.
    It runs and updates itself.
    You don't need to know a million commands.
    You don't feel like you're playing multiplayer in notepad.
    You can have an avatar.
    It lets you run webcams.
    Everyone has an account that works with it.

MSN is better.
    Catwalk's crusade for legalized cheating was a stunning success, with ghettos and low-tiered teams everywhere losing their wells of knowledge to better kingdoms in the process.

Step one: replace everything that works.
    Step two: blame the predictable epic fail on outside forces.
    Step three: keep the community informed that no progress has been made since the last update.
    Step four: thank you for your patience.

You'd be surprised how many people don't have Java (even with it being installed standard on many pre-built PCs), as both Java and Javascript aren't included in Windows by default (Sun Micro and Microsoft had a few issues for a while).

I know IRC was born in 1988, though a quick google search failed at finding any details of a version history (and I'm too lazy to dig further), but Wikipedia has an article that doesn't seem to be too off base. In tech age, though, IRC is rather archaic.

Addendum: As of Windows 7 MSNM is no longer pre-installed by Microsoft (although some PC manufacturers may put it on), but there are a number of smart phones that have MSNM avalable (and a few with IRC availability, but may require a hack).
    Last edited by Transbot9; 14-10-2009 at 16:39.

Post Demon
    Quote Originally Posted by VT2 View Post
    It comes with windows.
    You don't need to configure ports.
    You don't need to know anything about firewalls.
    It runs and updates itself.
    You don't need to know a million commands.
    You don't feel like you're playing multiplayer in notepad.
    You can have an avatar.
    It lets you run webcams.
    Everyone has an account that works with it.

MSN is better.
    1. The evolution of MSN Messenger, called Live Messenger, does NOT come with windows.
    2. I never configured ports for mIRC, since I don't use it for transferring files.
    3. I don't for mIRC either. Windows firewall asks me if I want to allow it, and I click yes, and then it works
    4. My Live Messenger asks me if i want to update and then downloads new stuff. IRC clients can do that too
    5. You don't need to know any commands at all, everything can be done through using the GUI if you prefer that. Also, there are very few commands you need to use anyway
    6. IRC clients are usually very skinnable
    7. An avatar? I guess that's useful for children
    8. Oh yes, webcams. I've been using MSN for years, and never ever video chatted with anyone
    9. No, everyone does not have an account. IRC doesn't even require an account btw

Besides that, you can't talk to people you don't know on MSN. On IRC you can go to a channel and talk to anyone, regardless if you knew they existed before. You can also run bots, which is very convenient for organization and all sorts of things.

The good players stopped using ICQ, MSN and the likes ages ago

Transbot: javascript isn't included in windows because it's meant to run in browsers, and all modern browsers supports it. You can make javascript based irc clients just as well as you can msn clients. There is also the possibility of running something like CGI:IRC if you need to get through firewalls, and it doesn't require anything to be installed either. BTW, e-mail is also very old, and yet still useful. Of course IRC has evolved a lot too during the years
    Last edited by Luc; 14-10-2009 at 16:40.

Thread Information