Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Work harder

Work harder

This post will likely come off as rude and impolite. That isn't actually my intention. My gripe is with the argument that WoL is taken down prematurely in order to focus efforts on the new code. What's implied, as I understand it, is that it requires too much effort to keep WoL going due to apparent DoS attacks. So OMAC chooses to surrender to that and accept 1-3 weeks (?) downtime while we wait for the new code.

I know nothing about tech stuff, so I may be in error about this. But I find it hard to believe that it's impossible to stop this problem in a week. Hard, yes. Pain in the ass, yes. Is the hacker a retard, yes. Is it octobrev, probably yes (although he isn't very smart, mostly just loud). I'm not saying you brought this upon yourselves, or that you deserved some idiot messing with you. But the cost of taking WoL down for this long is potentially fatal. I think most dedicated players will stay because they're addicted (and want to watch the next chapter of the freak show), but an alarming bunch of nubs will likely leave. Watching 20% players gone after the downtime will lead to a huge morale loss across the community, and that really isn't needed at this time. Moreover, there's a risk that you'll feel the need to put WoL up before being 100% certain it's ready to fly (something you promised us you wouldn't do, yet now you're under pressure) and it'd be a disaster if that doesn't go smoothly.

I really hope this was the right decision, I fear that it wasn't.
    For Master of Magic fans:

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Collins, CEO of OMAC
    You should ask as many people as you can to criticise what you plan on doing.

Can't disagree with anything you've said there, except i think you're being SERIOUSLY optimistic with your 1-3 week prediction. If history is any indication, I believe there is absolutely no way wol will be back up in at least a month, more likely 2.

A friend just asked me if i didn't just want to retire, and yeah, while that has crossed my mind a lot lately, i responded to him that utopia has been my drug of choice for 10+ yrs, and i won't give it up so easily...

but the longer wol is down, the more people will leave, or find it harder to just come back when it does come up.

even with all it's errors and issues right now, i think ending the WoL age is a huge mistake.

seriously glad gen is finally ending though lol
    ~ Lúthien ~
    “There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ~Albert Schweitzer
    Words make us think thoughts... Music makes us feel feelings... Songs make us feel thoughts" ~"Yip" Harburg
    Goodnight Utopia

Post Fiend
    Catwalk: +1
    This is a game, not a job...

Pretty much agree with what CW said there. I will stay, but more and more I feel I got more important stuff to do in my life than to wake up to attack. And yes, neither I think downtime will be 1-3 weeks. Month is my estimation. 20% players loss is what I think too, if not more.
    OLDSCHOOL

Inferno of Absalom
    The Gay

This isn't something I talk about much. But the situation warrants the comment.

I too am addicted to WOL.
    I've been putting in WAY too much time and
    emotional/intellectial effort into it for years.

Although I know I need a breather from the game but with such a long break expected.
    (Luth is right on with the time frame IMO)

I am not sure I should come back.

There many areas of my life that require greater attention.

I feel many ppl once they get a taste of "freedom" from the game might decide not to return (Even many vetrans).

Most kingdoms that I know of are a core of 10-15 players with a revolving door on the remainder. Those stats lead me to believe that about 30% of the players are Temporary players. Staying less than a year.

IMO those are the majority of the people we will lose.
    Not to mention the returning players that will decide to come back during this limbo period, and change their minds once they get a wiff of the chaos.
    They will have no real place to call home.

I have put in thousands of hours into building my kingdom.
    I have brought many ppl in to the game that would never have heard of it.
    It saddens me to think that the legacy will come to an end.

I have little hope that jolt will suprise us with stellar performance in rectifying this situation.

Maybe I will jump into these forums in a few months with gratitude for the "intervention" of my wol addiction.

idk

Post Demon
    I'm wondering a little what retard is the one attacking the server. From what I've heard it broke things so badly that they can't even run chart scripts and such anymore, and still the attacks keep coming. Whoever is doing the attacks deserves to get shot.

I don't think it would be plausible to try to fix this, as it would likely take a huge amount of reprogramming, and as it took a lot of time for Sean & Brian to even get this far, I doubt the fixes would be ready before the new code. Can only hope that as many as possible will decide to come back later
    Last edited by Luc; 08-10-2009 at 21:01.

they actually should be caught and prosecuted. it's cyber terrorism.
    ~ Lúthien ~
    “There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ~Albert Schweitzer
    Words make us think thoughts... Music makes us feel feelings... Songs make us feel thoughts" ~"Yip" Harburg
    Goodnight Utopia

Catty, you know how proxies work, why they work, what an IP is, HTML, and probably the very basics of coding, so I'd say you're at least as qualified to work for OMAC as Roisin.

It's very possible to stop these things - it just takes a lot of effort, and expertise that OMAC doesn't have, nor wants to invest in.
    And yes, it's actually classified as cyber terrorism.
    Catwalk's crusade for legalized cheating was a stunning success, with ghettos and low-tiered teams everywhere losing their wells of knowledge to better kingdoms in the process.

Step one: replace everything that works.
    Step two: blame the predictable epic fail on outside forces.
    Step three: keep the community informed that no progress has been made since the last update.
    Step four: thank you for your patience.

Ahaha.

You're asking OMAC to sink effort into something? Seriously? All the games they've made/are making have been contracted out to others - and they obviously don't bother keeping those other companies on a schedual, nor do they review the work they are paying for. I believe Utopia and Earth are the sole games they themselves manage, and judging by what we've seen I wouldn't be surprized if they higher highschool special-ed students to do the work (under Roisin's brilliant supervision, of course).

+10 on VT2

Taking down a game because of DoS is a piece of cr*p!

I don't know if I will still believe that it really is a DoS attack. Who knows, somebody from OMAC (or from other subcon staff) might have tinkered with the code or the server because of who knows for whatever reason (well, he might wanted to try to fix the CGI errors). Yes his/her intent might be good but the outcome is gruesome.

If that's the case, rollback people. There's a thing called ROLLBACK.

ROLLBACK ffs!!!!

Sir Postalot
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorafo View Post
    +10 on VT2

Taking down a game because of DoS is a piece of cr*p!

I don't know if I will still believe that it really is a DoS attack. Who knows, somebody from OMAC (or from other subcon staff) might have tinkered with the code or the server because of who knows for whatever reason (well, he might wanted to try to fix the CGI errors). Yes his/her intent might be good but the outcome is gruesome.

If that's the case, rollback people. There's a thing called ROLLBACK.

ROLLBACK ffs!!!!
    that's not possible =)

because mehul's code stores everything in text files, there is no database or any sort of decent modern programming behind it
    Deliverance -> secrets -> anzac -> mercy -> rage -> "ghetto"

eh? wow. Mehul ftw! lol...

"I don't know if I will still believe that it really is a DoS attack. Who knows, somebody from OMAC (or from other subcon staff) might have tinkered with the code or the server because of who knows for whatever reason (well, he might wanted to try to fix the CGI errors)." Yeah, that's usually what happens when you're lied to constantly, and when you're not lied to, you're not given any information at all.

OMAC really dug their own grave.
    Catwalk's crusade for legalized cheating was a stunning success, with ghettos and low-tiered teams everywhere losing their wells of knowledge to better kingdoms in the process.

Step three: keep the community informed that no progress has been made since the last update.

Enthusiast
    If Omac takes the game down for 1-3 weeks the average players in kingdoms without outside communication like msn,irc will leave... Almost 99% sure about that.

I guess we have ~6k players left when new age begins

Many of the average ghetto players doesn't even know this forum exists! so some info on the throne page would be nice (maybe a link to announcement thread) so they know the game is gonna be down quite a long time.

Few simple things Omac never think on... Good job again

Thinking is just another name for work. OMAC doesn't do that.

Thread Information