View Poll Results: Should the game be taken offline during partial downtime?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO - If there's any way to log in the game should stay up

13 33.33%
  • YES - Too much frustration over the losses incurred during downtime

26 66.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How should OMAC handle downtime?

How should OMAC handle downtime?

I guess it's too late for the current situation, but it's a relevant question for future periods of downtime as we probably haven't seen the last of it. In a situation like this one where login is possible (but difficult) and some players can't get in at all, should OMAC take the game offline to avoid messing with wars and causing starvation and such? Would your kingdom get more or less frustrated if the game had been taken offline during this period? Please elaborate on your vote.
    For Master of Magic fans:

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Collins, CEO of OMAC
    You should ask as many people as you can to criticise what you plan on doing.

Sir Postalot
    i would rather it be taken down for 48 hours, than suffering this for a week...

if it cant be fixed within 12-24 hours, take it offline and fix it
    Deliverance -> secrets -> anzac -> mercy -> rage -> "ghetto"

I agree, I wasnt and neither my KD was effected by these recent down time to severely. But if some players can log in, and the rest cant, the game should be taken down. This game is supposed to be fair. That is an unfair advantage. Top Kingdoms could take huge advantage of it.
    - = Paintrain = -

Yes really the game should be taken offline if it can not be fixed in a reasonable ammount of time. If it takes 6 to 12 hours and its fixed, and actually is working in full... fine leave it up, but if all attempts to resolve the problem in that 6 to 12 hours time have not worked... shut the whole thing down.

I myself was not effected by the recent DT, but I know many were. I am not on the whole "fairness" thing, really... I mean in all fairness not only can top KDs take advantage of the situation but so can alot of smaller KDs. So that alone makes the problem fair.

However allowing provences to sit there and starve when its not the users fault, because the game for all intents and purposes is down for virtually everyone, it should be taken offline and fixed properly. Thus ceasing the need to pick up where OMAC left us at, instead coming back to a fully functional game, that works and all provences and wars are just about where they were the last time most people saw them.

S3

Forum Fanatic
    They can't 'take the game offline'.

No function exists to allow it. The same as reverting the game back to a prior date. It just can't be done.

This is an irrelevant question.

Unplug.
    Redirect main page to a 'the game is currently down for maintenance'-page.

Done.
    Catwalk's crusade for legalized cheating was a stunning success, with ghettos and low-tiered teams everywhere losing their wells of knowledge to better kingdoms in the process.

Step one: replace everything that works.
    Step two: blame the predictable epic fail on outside forces.
    Step three: keep the community informed that no progress has been made since the last update.
    Step four: thank you for your patience.

Zauper:

Umm dude. Servers are taken offline all the time. Usually because the server needs repair, or replacement but also often for repair, or upgrade of the programs on them. Being a server Admin myself I have done it multiple times over the course of the last several years. Its not that hard really.

S3

What zauper probably means it is irrelevant whether you take the servers down or not as the game keeps running.

I still think it is better that the servers are taken down because of two reasons
    1. To increase server stability by not having people press F5 to try to get in
    2. To give everyone atleast a fair chance. When server went down/up/down 70% of enemy kd was able to wave in 10 minutes it was apparently up while we were not able to login at all. Basically we got molested like little kids by a clown. Atleast we would've only starved (or not, because most of starvation was caused by droughts in between) instead of farmed too.

Resetting back to few dates before means a far bigger database which just means less stability.

Forum Fanatic
    What trekdrop said, VT2 / Admiral. The server is offline, but the game still runs. That's the problem, right? Everyone can login if they try hard enough. Sorry, I don't buy 'the game is down for me'.

Except they still can't reset to a few dates before the downtime. :s

The casual player doesn't have time to sit in front of a computer for 20 minutes waiting to login, it should come down, period.
    S E C R E T S

Nah but it does benefit xlogging kds

Opposing kd managed 15 hit wave in 10 minutes uptime.
    Even if you call everyone to get online or everyone has an office job where you can refresh Uto while doing your work that is pretty impressive.

The fact that it wasn't some SKD but just your regular decent kd it is just suspicious.

Being raped by server because you don't cheat is fail.

Don't make me xlog kids. As the best player ever azy once said "trekdrop + roro scripts = teh fear"

Hmm, isn't it possible for them to store game values and reset to them later if they know ahead of time they'll be needing to do so?
    For Master of Magic fans:

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Collins, CEO of OMAC
    You should ask as many people as you can to criticise what you plan on doing.

Forum Fanatic
    DHaran:
    The third time it came up (when it came up and 'stuck'), it never took me more than 5 minutes to login. I timed it every time. I've been logging in aprox 10 times per day since then. I've been logging in twice per day from my phone, where I don't have tabs.

I don't buy that it's been 'too down for casuals'.

Trekdrop:
    Most proxies have a timeout that is shorter than it is for ie. In particular, most xlogging kds use munk, which has a timeout set to 30s. Kds using munk couldn't log -- at all -- during the downtime.

Catwalk:
    Maybe. All I know is that Mehul told us that there was no way for him to restore a province to it's previous condition, when there were downtimes during his era.

Postaholic
    Its not the same for everyone, i can log in sometimes with no problems, and other times have to wait around 10 mins

thx zauper. atleast then i can live with the fact they refreshed f5 more than we did :)

Thread Information