Thread: Confused about next age

Regular

Question Confused about next age

My advance apologies if the answers can be readily found, but I can't find them and am confused.

1 When does new age start?
    2. Why age 42? Was that a particularly cool age?
    3. Will there be any changes to age 42 beside adding avians?
    4. Can someone explain the goal of the "new code"? It seems to be old age 42 code. Is it just faster code? Does it include flash and graphics? What makes the new code good?

Thanks in advance. :)

The new age starts when OMAC decides to stop being stupid, so the deadline posted can be ignored.
    Officially, it starts in a week - realistically, we can look at a start in two weeks, with lots of bugs, and complete failure to bring the kingdoms over.

Age 42, because they started screwing over things after that, with a useless undead, no actual changes, raze destroying acres, and probably other stupidity I've forgotten to list.

No.

The 'new code' is supposed to make the game work, but it doesn't seem likely, because the problem with the 'old code' isn't so much the code itself, but the silly parts Roisin added without thinking. It's good because it's made by someone who's supposed to be professional, I guess.
    Catwalk's crusade for legalized cheating was a stunning success, with ghettos and low-tiered teams everywhere losing their wells of knowledge to better kingdoms in the process.

Step one: replace everything that works.
    Step two: blame the predictable epic fail on outside forces.
    Step three: keep the community informed that no progress has been made since the last update.
    Step four: thank you for your patience.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    1. Next Week (Wednesday as far as I know)
    2. I'm fairly sure that's just the age they started to construct the code on.
    3. Doubt it other than undoing changes that have occurred since then (Paradise, Raze, Artisan/Cleric, ect.)
    4. The old code was written by Mehul and was apparently very sloppy. It is what OMAC blames everything on. It's more up-to-date and will allow for OMAC to actually do things with the game. To put it bluntly, they didn't know what they were doing on the old code.

unbelievable

° beta is still running (you can still join afaik, but you won't be with your wol kd)
    ° gen is down indefinitely
    ° wol will restart on the beta code next wed, oct 21, with your current kingdom

the goal of the new code is to make it faster and more efficient, to eliminate the cgi errors, etc. and to allow them to facilitate changes easier.

Don't know why they specifically chose age 42, you'd have to ask OMAC
    ~ Lúthien ~
    “There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ~Albert Schweitzer
    Words make us think thoughts... Music makes us feel feelings... Songs make us feel thoughts" ~"Yip" Harburg
    Goodnight Utopia

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Gen's down indefinitely?

Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    Gen's down indefinitely?
    indefinitely as in there is no definite start date for it, it will be back up after wol goes ahead (id imagine a few weeks after to stagger the start/end dates)

brian and sean explain here - http://blog.swirve.com/2009/03/11/a-...uc-developers/ - why it was decided to re-write the game - basically it was impossible to add new features to such an utdated codebase.
    Last edited by Bishop; 15-10-2009 at 18:05.

Enthusiast
    We finally have time to sleep and slack. And I finally have time to catch up to VT2 a bit.

Thread Information