Thread: Community Questions answered by Brian & Sean

Post Fiend

Community Questions answered by Brian & Sean

Thanks to everyone who submitted questions. Brian and Sean have taken some time out to answer as many of them as possible.

Utopia Community Questions (16th October 2009)

How will players will be contacted about new age starting (yahoo and hotmail are not reliable).

First of all, we've made some changes so Yahoo and Hotmail should accept more of our emails, but we'll still be communicating in other ways. I expect we'll email everyone, we'll add a blog post, we'll update the front page on utopia-game.com and we'll redirect utopia.swirve.com to utopia-game.com.

Will there be a method for players to report things like AVG antivirus software blocking Utopia (due to malware ads)
    We're soon moving the bug reporting mechanism from being email based to being forum based. The reason for this is that there are too many bug reports coming to us via email. The vast majority of these duplicates. The forum should allow people to see that bugs have already been reported, especially ones that are affecting many people (as these will be heavily discussed and therefore should be near the top of the forum.

Players are requesting:
    - A complete list of age 42 changes (the blog link is incomplete)

Not to hand now, I'd say you mods will probably find that info quicker than I can.

- Confirmation that raze only kills buildings on new code
    In a war Raze destroys building - not acres are lost. Outside of war, acres are lost.

- Confirmation that things like MS will be available to all, dice and explore pool etc
    MS is available to all Mystics regardless of race. Paradise is available to all, land is magicked up from nowhere (does not affect explore pool).

Will the Utopia Wiki page be updated? (eg Undead are mentioned in the Wiki but no longer in-game)

Hopefully it will be updated by the community. We may put some work into it, but code comes first.

Will utopia-game.com be the main URL? Will the old page be redirected to here, and is this where announcements and information prior to launch will be posted?
    As above, yes.

Will genesis be starting on the new code at some point?
    We don't have a date for this yet. It will largely depend on how things go with WoL.

Will things like VM status be migrated across with the provinces?
    VM status will not be transferred. However, provinces that are in VM will be given reservations to stay with their kingdoms. These reservations will last for a few days before expiring if they're not taken up.

Will Master accounts and provinces be migrated across or will there be a manual recreation of provinces?
    All master accounts and their passwords are being transferred across to the new code. You will be able to sign-in with the same username and password as currently. There have been some problems with people verifying their email addresses on the beta because Hotmail or Yahoo blocked the auto-generated mail from Utopia. This problem will be avoided for the vast majority of players as imported accounts will not need to verify their email addresses. Credits are also being transferred and ads will be hidden for anyone who has chosen to remove them (this has not been the case in the alpha up till now).

If i am razekilled in the days leading up to age end, will i still be transferred over to the new code if i do not have a chance to reactivate my province?
    No. Dead provinces won't make it across.

Will the current Gen boosts be carried over to the new code (+income, +food, +ome etc)
    New code is solely based on Age 42 WoL code. The only intentional change from this is the recently announced addition of Avians.

Will gangbang protection remain in place?
    (For a short period of stagnancy for 24 provinces, 1 province can be fed an unlimited amount of soldiers and gold, just because someone attacked that province enough to cause a cap on the aid tax at 15%. Those 24 provinces can easily recover from that day or two of no growth, with the strength of a newly built cow/bank to help them down the road in wars.)
    Gang Bang Protection will remain in place as is. It will be just as vulnerable to abuse as on the original code. This does not mean that we condone the abuse.

How long is freeze time? 2 or 3 days?
    Three days.

Former Community Manager Thundergore's Avatar
    We will update this thread (or make a new announcement) when we receive more news and more answers to your queries.

In the meantime you may find it beneficial to view (and add any threads you think are relevant to) this stickied thread in the question and answer boards: http://forums.joltonline.com/showthread.php?t=601323

These sources of information and community led discussions are invaluable at this time.

Many thanks!

Thread Information