Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Solving the Coding Problem

Solving the Coding Problem

The fundamental problem at the moment seems to be due to the change in how provinces in utopia are updated.

Previously in Mehuls code, a provinces details were only updated when referenced. This led to players sending 'update' messages and using 0 thief ops to force province updates. Though odd sometimes the system worked and had the benefit of spreading server load throughout the hour.

The new code is running a server update whenever the clock changes hour, this is nice for instant accurate charts but not good for us as clearly it has fallen over with the scaling up to 10k players. I dont know why you thought it would scale so simply and implemented this system but thats beside the point.

Though it seems complicated, the alterations required to reinstate province based updates and thus spread sever load are pretty trivial.

What they probably have at the moment is a servertick check as some sort of include at the top of every page - when the servertick<hourtick the update is run. Basically the first guy to click after the hour sets in motion the massive server update.

The alterations required are simple. Whatever database they are using just needs a provincetick field. When a province is referenced and provincetick<hourtick then update province

There a couple of issues to remember with updating provinces seperately, for instance dragons and war which have kingdom wide effects to economy. You can either keep track of what tick the dragon arrived/ war started or you can simply 'reference' all the provinces in the effected kingdom when one of these uncommon events occurs.

The charts will still be out of sync with provinces that have not been updated, but we've lived with that for many years already and its no biggie. People who care will have logged in or given the province a nudge themselves.

I hope thats solved the problem for you programming guys, if you've any further questions feel free to message me. My rates are very reasonable :)

Veteran
    first sean sits as goat and after that brian and they do the job in turns so none of them to feel unloved. stupid incompetents that dunno how to do their job and how to respect their clients. Why you keep the game on pause and not get it down for real? you still want people to see your stupid adds so you get money? I advice all not to log in anymore and view their adds so they actually lose all the money and not just a small part of em. Then they will actually work their asses to fix the problem!

PS: and yes, you are right, they got over my patience already with their nubness when it comes to coding. Bull&**** are screwing up all that was left from this game
    Last edited by Bishop; 31-10-2009 at 17:24. Reason: inappropriate language

Veteran
    they are proving for 4-5 months now how incompetent they are.

Most I hate is when they say: thank you for your patience... WHAT PATIENCE ? I have none left.
    Half my KD wants to quit. (if you can say quit.. because practicly there is no game at all )

OMAC... B&S have 0 respect for all us.

Oi. They have shown again and again how they are very inexperienced at programming. Please, OMAC, hire EXPERIENCED ones and you'll actually make money. At this rate, you'll lose whatever little player base you have left.
    * Developer of PostUto.Info - Intel Organizer, Op Tracking soon *
    ~~~S...E...C...R...E...T...S~~~
    join us at #secrets

Vendetta is still FTW!

Post Fiend
    I cannot believe I am reading this.

Regular
    You may not believe it, but everyone here is speaking the truth

Simey - Do you have the gall to say to us, straightfaced, that Brian and Sean are even marginally competant? Because if so, I would very much like to know how you've reached that opinion. It certainly can't be from watching them do their jobs.

Simey, just let it go. These are forums, trolls will be trolls, people will flame, and there will be hate. As much as there are people bashing B&S there are also people knowing that they are trying their best to fix the game and waiting for it to go back up.
    Go, Star Adder;
    You are the stalker, the hunter, the killer.
    Your prey stands before you;
    Show them the way
    of the True Warrior
    --The Rememberence Star Adder,
    Passage 5, Verse 17, Lines 20 - 24

Asakura - How is this a troll?

If you're going to make stupid claims you'd best be ready to provide some sort of evidence. Foggy needs no evidence, as he currently has 9 months of utter failure on the part of Brian and Sean to back him up.
    Last edited by Bishop; 31-10-2009 at 17:24.

they/re just continuing on with the tradition of omac/jolt putting out inferior products.

and until someone there does something to change that track record, that is going to be how it's perceived.

well over a year ago (closer to 2 i believe?) omac took over, and in that time, they have not put even ONE age online successfully..

they couldn't put same code > same code up without failing, so obviously putting old code > new code was bound to fail.

we've tried giving them the benefit of the doubt, and now the game that is already delayed months on end is being delayed further.

so how do you expect us to react, simey? with MORE patience?

we've shown the patience of Job since omac took over...
    ~ Lúthien ~
    “There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ~Albert Schweitzer
    Words make us think thoughts... Music makes us feel feelings... Songs make us feel thoughts" ~"Yip" Harburg
    Goodnight Utopia

Post Demon
    Quote Originally Posted by Luth View Post
    we've shown the patience of Job since omac took over...
    Not gonna comment on the rest, as I prefer to keep quiet about things I have no clue about (obviously many others don't share the same view about that), but I thought this was a funny comment.

Very little patience has ever been shown in this game. Every little change brings whining and "end of the world" type comments. This community is kind of rotten :/

Quote Originally Posted by Pillz View Post
    Asakura - How is this a troll?

If you're going to make stupid mother ****ing claims you'd best be ready to provide some sort of evidence. Foggy needs no evidence, as he currently has 9 months of utter ****ing failure on the part of Brian and Sean to back him up.
    The topic is fine, the first post is fine, but most of the replies are plain childish. You guys are not the only ones frustrated, if you have no patience left just leave, making rude replies does not help or change anything.
    Go, Star Adder;
    You are the stalker, the hunter, the killer.
    Your prey stands before you;
    Show them the way
    of the True Warrior
    --The Rememberence Star Adder,
    Passage 5, Verse 17, Lines 20 - 24

So far OMAC/Jolt have done nothing but throw away money and their player bases' good will.

-They built NS2, then proceeded to make sure you need to pay to have the games full experience. Then they randomly took the game down. Money wasted.

-They lied to the Swirve Forum community, insisting that the old forum was a complete loss with no hope of recreatation. Days later a clone was made by a member of the Earth community for us - OMAC's first mistake with Utopia because it won them about 4 dozen people spreading throughout the internet that OMAC are ,removed>

-They lied to Utopia's player base about Fake-Utopia, payed another company to re-brand Khan Wars, and it back fired. Money wasted.

-They lied to us about the recoding of Utopia, time and time again. Utopia is not a complex game to recreate, both technically and astetically. They appear incapable of doing this. They insist on treating the player base thats left like stupid pieces of crap. Money wasted.

Simey can you point out a single thing that has helped OMAC/Jolt as a company? I know Zork didn't work for them, just like Nationstates and Utopia didn't.
    Last edited by Bishop; 31-10-2009 at 17:25. Reason: inappropriate language

good post foggy. Simey, you should believe it.

P.S. don't bother with closing thread
    OLDSCHOOL

Inferno of Absalom
    The Gay

Luc, I didn't say we did it quietly... but yes, we have shown a great deal of patience in waiting for this inferior product.

we have yet to see any step of the way not be delayed because of their incompetence and lack of communication.

all we want to see is someone FINALLY change that track record. and we had hoped that to be B&S, but it obviously was not
    ~ Lúthien ~
    “There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ~Albert Schweitzer
    Words make us think thoughts... Music makes us feel feelings... Songs make us feel thoughts" ~"Yip" Harburg
    Goodnight Utopia

Thread Information