Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Players dont understand the situation

Regular

Players dont understand the situation

I think that the player base isn't fully understanding the situation here, So I will toss out some thoughts for you to chew on a bit.

First of all you need to understand that Mehul sold the game because of the money. Not because he was tired of it or bored. He sold it because he was offered a good buck. If he had still been getting rich by owning swirve he would have found it much more interesting. Its all about the money.

OMAC bought the game because of the money. They thought they could make big bucks from it. At the time they likely had plans to sell the company, take the money and open a coffee shop but the company didnt have much in the way of marketable assets. So they bought Swirve, likely using up a bit of line of credit. I think the plan was to load up on some games, polish them a wee bit and sell out. They had zero interest in the user base. Utopia was like a can of beans on a grocery store shelf - something to be sold without even thinking of the folks who picked the beans. Utopia isnt a complicated game so they decided to recode it because a freshly re-coded game was worth more to a buyer so they hired Paddy and Shamus (prolly their real names) to do a really quick and dirty recode. Make it nice and shiny. Set up neat-o stuff like community managers. By what wild ass stretch of imagination does anyone think that a community manager for Utopia is a full time job? Anyways the spit and polish apparently worked because they were able to unload the company and its games to Gamespot. Please don't think that at any time during this process that OMAC gave a rat's ass about the players. The players just picked the beans, and the can has been sold.

Now Gamespot owns the thing. Why did they buy it? All together now... for the money. Somebody at Gamespot thinks he has found a way to make a buck from this deal. Maybe they will shiny up some of the games and sell them again. Maybe not. Maybe they will provide ongoing support for what they bought including Utopia. Maybe not. But OMAC is out of the equation now so there is no longer any real point in venting your rage at them. Hell, OMAC ownership probably doesnt bother to read the forums anymore because they are too busy counting their cash from the deal. So give it a bit of a rest.

The question is, what will Gamespot do with the games they bought as part of the deal. We know that there was a press release that named 3 games as being part of their future. The games were Utopia Kingdoms (shiny new), Playboy manager (shiny new) and one other the name of which I forget. Utopia was not on that list. Neither was Earth. My guess would be that Gamespot asked OMAC to shut down Earth as part of the deal. I also guess that they may or may not provide continued support for Utopia and that decision will be based on the value they see in the player base. Ideally they would like to port all the OMAC games to Gamespot sites and try to get as many total players as possible also playing other Gamespot games. I think it is safe to say that they also don't give a rat's ass about how many years you have played Utopia. They do however care about how many pairs of eyeballs Utopia provides to look at the advertising because in the end that is all that counts. If, when they get around to taking an in depth look at Utopia the asset to see what can be done with it they see a community of foul mouthed assholes who do nothing but curse and swear at the folks who run the game they might very well decide that they just dont want those people around to taint their other games. If that happens they could just say sorry and shut the thing down permanently. Would you want this player group haunting the forums of your other games? I wouldnt.

Some folks have suggested that Mehul might rescue the game. You need to forget that notion entirely. Gamespot will not give an asset away if it will provide competition to their other games. Utopia has a value dead and Mehul isnt gonna cough up serious coin to buy the game back. No one else will be allowed to run a clone of it either because doing so I think would be in violation of copyright laws. Forget that whole deal, its not gonna happen.

At this stage Gamespot owns the game. We have zero idea what they are going to do with it. I am pretty sure though that if they look at the forums and see the kind of bull**** that has been posted over the last few days it will not inspire them to invest more money into the game. They have the 3 games they wanted. They are happy. Utopia can be gravy or a total pain for them and much depends on whether the user base behaves like an unruly mob or like good customers. I think you lads need to back off at least until Gamespot makes their intentions known. There is no point in aggravating an already iffy situation.

He never ran the games for the money, but because he had fun making his own little universes, with their own sets of rules.
    Catwalk's crusade for legalized cheating was a stunning success, with ghettos and low-tiered teams everywhere losing their wells of knowledge to better kingdoms in the process.

Step one: replace everything that works.
    Step two: blame the predictable epic fail on outside forces.
    Step three: keep the community informed that no progress has been made since the last update.
    Step four: thank you for your patience.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    You don't understand the situation Molly.

You don't understand anything about Mehul either.

Newfolks rarely do.
    It's not their fault.
    Last edited by Thundergore; 06-11-2009 at 09:48. Reason: language
    Catwalk's crusade for legalized cheating was a stunning success, with ghettos and low-tiered teams everywhere losing their wells of knowledge to better kingdoms in the process.

Step three: keep the community informed that no progress has been made since the last update.

Post Fiend
    Why do you guys always flame and put people down who have a different point of view to you,is it really necessary to be so rude?
    To Err Is Human To Forgive Divine

Because their 'different points of view' are extremely wrong things they're pretending is the truth, and that displeases us.

Enthusiast
    Yes, nothing gets done otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by freemehul View Post
    you're like some davidian branch.
    TipTripTrap, proud branch davidian since freemehul convinced me to convert.

I apologize profusely in advance for any possible offense that could be caused by perceived sarcasm in this post. Sorry again, please enjoy your stay in this thread. Thank you for your patience.

heck even i know that not the way bussinesses work, lol!

but hey if you were around during the ages you would know different!

Sometimes, I wish I was a newfolk, then I realize how much fun it is to be an oldfolk, and the king of the trolls.
    Last edited by Thundergore; 06-11-2009 at 09:48. Reason: Same

Arrow Time is of the essence!

Utopia is a unique game with a dedicated player base. It caters to an older, more hardcore player group. There is no other like it. Not to say whether they will want to develop it or not.

BUT!

It used to be #1 webby game. Been active 10 years.

How long does it take to build a player base of 12,000.

How long does it take to lose it.

Blink & it will be gone in the twinkling of an eye.

In the right hands, it could be turned around & made into a money maker, built back to it's former glory of 100k players.
    If it continues as it is wherein we're oop in a new game & ppl haven't been able to get online for 5 days because of server overload ~.
    Shaken not stirred.

Post Fiend
    Hahaha, mehul created and ran the game because he thought it was fun and it was a hobby at the time, and when he got tired of it, he couldn't get rid of it faster and prolly sold it for pennies just so he could move on with his life.

Let's face it people, atleast OMAC puts up with your ****, mehul couldn't ****ing stand you.

He got six-digit payment for Swirve, british pounds.
    That's hardly 'pennies.'

Wrong, johnnyk.

The only reason Mehul stopped running the game is because the player base started decreasing.

He loved the community, and he knew the community is what made the game special.
    "Go back to the gym because you f'king suck at utopia, noob." -Godly

My classic black theme for Utopia - Updated 5/13/15

Quote Originally Posted by darkl1ght View Post
    Unfortunately, no amount of razes will improve your war record
    Greatest strategy thread/question of all-time.

Quote Originally Posted by VT2 View Post
    Because their 'different points of view' are extremely wrong things they're pretending is the truth, and that displeases us.
    you don't judge wheather its right or wrong, nobody is right or wrong coz you don't know anything either, all u have is asumptions, there is no evidence to prove or support your statement.

Yes, as a matter of fact, I judge what's right and what's wrong. That's my decision.
    Whether you want to agree with me or not is your decision.

In this case, I know I'm right, and that everyone who doesn't agree with me is wrong.
    It's very simple, but I still can't force you to accept the truth for what it is.

Thread Information