Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can someone help?

Veteran
    more than likely.

Although I think the general consensus was not that elves and such don't exist (because in previous incarnations we have had them) but that they are in smaller numbers and not major players in the politics of men. Humans simply are more numerous and because of their brevity move at a quicker pace, socially, than other races.

eheh, i didnt say they didnt exist either do i?
    After all my character is an elf too if you catch my point. I am not saying they are totally eradicated either, simply saying that their numbers are dwindled and most of them are living in underground (dark elves possibly) or in seclusive forests.

On another point henche Geco didnt give a brief description about the history and demographics of that world and left it to players, i am not sure that your general consensus do apply in to this universe as well.

I dont, know maybe you are playing all your games on the same universe, if that is the case it is quite understandable why Geco didnt give any information about the world (hence possibly everybody interested in the RP room knew about that, but as a newcomer i dont have any chance about that do i?). If that is the case i guess it will be better for him to point out such facts and thus any might be newcomers could adjust their stories and backgrounds according to that.
    Utopia: a "Mess"ive multiplayer strategy game since Mehul sold it

Veteran
    no, but up there it was your assumption that aside from humans and orcs that they weren't quantified.

---------

about universes:

Quite the contrary. Every incarnation has been significantly different than the last, but in different ways.

two things have generally existed, orcs and humans. The first airship thread to go 'mainstream' on the boards (in its hey-day mind you, when there were 100 threads visible and 50 invisible due to technology constraints of the day regarding forums) had innumerable races. In fact, you could create your own, submit it for approval, get it approved, start posting, all within perhaps an hour or two. Orcs were much like in lord of the rings (which I don't believe had come out yet? Maybe just recently... correct me if I am wrong, if anyone remembers.).

Phoenix and I were introduced in this one. Consequently, a player called ShadowLurker killed it by his inactivity. Held everyone up and we lost momentum after restarting it as a new chapter some.... 3? 5? years after the events of the last one (involved the death of a demon... destruction of the ship. etc. etc.). Lurk was a rather integral player in the plot at that point. At least for my character. Sucked for me.

That and I butted heads quite a bit with phoenix at the time, and for many years after. (sorry... again... and again... lol.) That might have had a small part in killing it.

Again and again it came up here and there as someone else's project. Introduction of firearms killed it in one of them. Quite understandable, because people were sniping from a hundred yards with a bugle shaped musket. When I brought up the point of accuracy from rifles much longer the party in question brushed it off as magical and I just couldn't stand it. Unfortunately, it was the GM. She got in a huff and left. She ran out of ideas anyway.

Basically, different races have always popped up, whether normal or not. It's up to the GM to approve or not, but we are generally accepting of non-normal races or new twists on old ones.

For clarity on current universe:

Keep in mind we all just made human characters. probably based on something Geco said either in his initial post or in talking about it that humans were the dominant species.

I also invented a trans-planal being, that being T'a'u'weke, in the sort of hallucinogenic trance Arlen was in not too long ago.
    Last edited by Jolly Rensha; 16-11-2009 at 11:07.

yeah i remeber that, i though it as some kind of an elemental spirit, or a demon of some sort, acting as a God. Pretty good concept anyways :)

as for my assumption ,well having seen no mention of elves and only hearing about dwarves a couple of times, it seemed that the world is dominated by human race. As a result i made up that story, give a reason for human dominance, and while doing that managed to add some depth to my character.

What i want to imply is that "humans butchering elves" would not effect current story line at all, but maybe add more depth to the story as some "truths" about shandalaar become clear (yeah i have plans about that city :D but no worries i am not intending to turn it to something evil or desecrate the concept of it, it is Geco's city afte all. As for my plans about that city, well lets say not every human has had genocidal intentions against other races at that times :))

Quite the lively discussion, guess I'll partake and hopefully shed some light.

When this airship thread was created it was intended to be of the lighter variety. The last one I ran, Endless Skies, was more heavy on the political-realistic front, and even this one seems to be turning into that a bit. I'm thinking now of a more serious over arching plot, but plenty of chances to deviate from it and explore and have some fun.

In terms of races and the world I stated it was meant to be created by the players, and it has been. However, that now means the general guidelines that everyone is following have to be respected as well. So far there haven't been any mentions of Elves, so feel free. If you have something bigger in mind, something that might drastically change how the world is or what not, I just ask you consult me first.

Okay, back to work, the next post is in Skysail.

thanks for clearing the matter. You are right about drastic changes, of course i shouldnt do such things without thy permission, after all it is something you created.

It was my intention from the start to not make any drastic changes to the world, thats why i created a character that will be telling stories about long lost forgotten ancient history. No body is possibly intersted in those acts anymore in this world, after all who will ask compensation from ancient egyptians today ,for their actions against jews some thousand years ago?
    it is the same matter with my case :)

Veteran
    not so much for compensation, but in the early 1900's, they did have a great interest in ancient egypt (among other cultures) to rob them of their artifacts and valuable goods for monetary gain.

Don't forget, a treasure hunter to one person is a grave robber to another.

--------

I don't think you did anything wrong aposai. Just mentioning that you might have had to change some things to your history when geco took a look. I didn't see any changes mentioned, so looks like you're free and clear.

For future reference though, if you have something like that shandalaar plot of yours, keep it a well guarded secret. ^_^ I have noticed that the more we talk about the future in the open (and not discussed behind secret closed doors of email, pm, and chat programs) the quicker the thread dies because there is no mystery. No suspense. We're such a small community, it makes sense. It didn't used to be the case, because more than likely in a few days we'd be past the point that we talked about the day before. :\ Sometimes I miss the old days, but i like the current ones for the quality.

hope to see a post from you soon! lookin' good!

No worries, i didnt even reveal a quarter of what i designed :)

But you got a point nonethless, the less we reveal about our stories the more suspense we get, in turn a better story comes out.

I hope ı can meet up your expectations, my only concern is that English is not my native language. And although i am used to writing in english, that might cause some troubles.

Veteran
    don't worry, you have definitely already proven your skills in writing in english. :)

eheh thanks, i hope i can show that during the storytelling too.

I'm not sure you should have any reservations concerning your writing style or command of English. I think you've proven yourself quite capable even without an IC post. It would be safe to say we all have much to learn as is.

Hopefully things will pick up in Skysail as schedules clear, and we can tuck into RPing with your character! I'm still waiting on Geco to clear a few things up for me via PM.

So what was it that killed the one airship thread (i forget the exact name) that had the demon Kumajii trying to take over the world and his unwillign anchor, Adkas trying to get free?

A real life friend of mine, Belfucious on the previous boards, had archives of that one he sent to me when this one started up. I mentioned the boards in passing conversation and told him about Endless Skies and Skysail. The next day he sent me like a 20 page word document (in 10 point font!) of archived posts from all the previous incarnations of this genre he played a part in. It was a really good read, but just sort of ended after the battle with Kumajii.

Btw Ren, that character of yours was pretty cool. That whole, second-sight, interdimentional twilight zone stuff was really neat.
    "I am the brightest light, for I am darkness. I know everything, for I know nothing. I am a container, brimming with emotion, for I am empty."
    --Bebedora, Arc the Lad

"Intelligence is the key, and she is locked out." - Josh Sneed, in reference to his ex.

Post Fiend
    Shari, you know Bel? Say hi to him for me... :) And why isn't he here? Haven't seen him in years it feels like...

Yeah we've had quite a number of reincarnations of ES and VoTs and what not. I think Kumajii/Adkas was in the first version, and don't really remember why it ended. But at the same time that was one that was most successful I think.

Oh my gosh...I remember Voyage of the Skies (and Cerulean skies, of course. ^_^). That was the first REAL thread that I joined here on the boards, where I got serious with my writing and my character development. Sheesh...that was, like...7 years ago. Crap. That just made me feel REALLY old....

And I remember Bel. He was fun to write with. ^_^
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle, here is my....LASER!!
    ~Some random deviation that my brother showed me one day, once upon a time...lol

I will SoHee. He's had a lot on his plate for the last couple years. His wife got pregnant with their second child about six months ago (possibly a Christmas or New Years baby) right after he got promoted and started going to school again. Before that I think they were just enjoying life and raising their first kid. But now I probably won't see much of him between our work, school, and family lives.

I'll see if I can't get him to make a cameo in one of the threads. After all, he did introduce me to this wonderful community.
    "I am the brightest light, for I am darkness. I know everything, for I know nothing. I am a container, brimming with emotion, for I am empty."
    --Bebedora, Arc the Lad

"Intelligence is the key, and she is locked out." - Josh Sneed, in reference to his ex.

Thread Information