Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Has anyone on here.......

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by halicem View Post
    divinorum's pooling resources idea is a good one...

If the community pulls it off, that would be a first I believe. I don't know of any other game where the community formed the company which hired a developer in a total rebellion against the original. Think of the publicity too that would generate.

I'm not sure it would be a good idea if the community itself made the game(users programming it), that's just an invitation for distrust and ultimately friction as to whose idea gets implemented.. I can see it now:
    user1: don't implement raze in wars!
    user2: why not? I'll put it in!
    user1: no noob omgwtfbbq!

The only problem is who handles the money??
    theres a reason why i wrote "in theory". the adoption curve for a scheme like this is disastrous. pretty much everyone would donate if 49000 was in, almost no one would donate if only 1000 was in.

There are some things that would mediate the situation though, such as "donation sites" where the money is only donated if the full amount is achieved etc. doesnt fix the situation but helps out slightly. i still doubt it would ever even reach 5k usd though. unless some somewhat rich people decided to be generous.

"who handles the money" is not that big of a problem. There are plenty of trustworthy people around, and you would have them sign contracts ofc.

but honestly, its a crap ass idea once we step outside of the wonderful realm of theory.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder TA View Post
    problem with it sadly is when whoever atm owns the game files trademark suits and with evidence from forums and user information they could not only sue the people doing it but take the completed work for themselves to use.
    sucks doesnt it.
    like i said in a different thread it would be idiotic to copy the game outright. first of we have the obvious legal issues, unless you place the server in some crummy country. secondly copying the game would restrict you from making improvements to the game.

i would suggest cloning the "core concepts" rather than its "superficial implementation". The game is not about arms doing this and/or tog doing that. The game is about the interactions and interplay. That you can copy all you want, just like you can copy the team/kd-centered gameplay. Heck, i could even conceptualize something for a small fee. I got too much time to kill at work anyway. Academic work is such a drag in-between projects.

We are plotting a take over on OMACs forum lol :C

Wonder if Mehul sold the rights along with the game?
    Shaken not stirred.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Catwalk View Post
    Wasn't the Utopia code (or a functional replica) posted on sourceforge.net a while ago?
    There was something back in 2005. And yes, it was a replica, not the original source, and no, it wasn't that good if I remember.

Actually, here's the link:
    <removed>

Hahaha, and it's also written in Delphi, now i remember how I stumbled across it:D
    Anyways, it's still messy as ****.
    Last edited by Bishop; 09-11-2009 at 10:32.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by DeVille View Post
    Wonder if Mehul sold the rights along with the game?
    Most certainly.

Quote Originally Posted by Godofmischief View Post
    Lol! Know who your talking to before sticking your ass in the air for me to kick.
    First of all, you will never kick my ass. Ever. You can't do what you are not capable of.
    Last edited by Bishop; 09-11-2009 at 10:33. Reason: language
    #sinners <---click to join

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownGhost View Post
    First of all, you will never kick my ass. Ever. You can't do what you are not capable of.

Second of all, stfu noob.
    Like its hard to kick your ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Korp View Post
    Like its hard to kick your ass.
    Well I guess if I wasn't looking and he ran up to me putting his foot to one of my butt cheeks, he has succeeded! :)
    #sinners <---click to join

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownGhost View Post
    Well I guess if I wasn't looking and he ran up to me putting his foot to one of my butt cheeks, he has succeeded! :)
    Se I told you it wasnt hard.

Thread Information