Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone on here.......

Has anyone on here.......

........been involved with working on the original game? Got any of it's coding? or replicated any of it?

I have something in mind. Without giving to much away. If I say Apache, PHP and MySQL. Can I start there?

I've set up an e-mail address: Godofmischief@hotmail.com

No as you are a random noob.
    #sinners <---click to join

Post Fiend
    if your planning on cloning the game youre better off not sticking your nose into old code of any sort.

Utopia is a simple game with simple interactions between simple entities. Map out and document these classes and interactions, create the code structure that matches the documentation, and voila, you have a skeleton. Add formulas (available at the wiki) and dig up the GUI from your cache and the game is replicated. Simple as that.

Post Fiend
    heck, if you do it in that fashion you can even get a braniac hat for keeping the config file (which holds all settings and formulae) separate from the game itself making it piss easy to change what the **** you want without having to worry about dependencies going to hell. not that you ever should have to worry about those things after properly mapping the game, but still.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by divinorum View Post
    if your planning on cloning the game youre better off not sticking your nose into old code of any sort.

Utopia is a simple game with simple interactions between simple entities. Map out and document these classes and interactions, create the code structure that matches the documentation, and voila, you have a skeleton. Add formulas (available at the wiki) and dig up the GUI from your cache and the game is replicated. Simple as that.

if it is this simple as you explained.....

Post Fiend
    it is that simple. i bet sean and brian spent 10x as much time on trying to understand archaic code and ****ed up code structures than actually coding the game. And if they spent any time at all properly mapping the interactions and entities id be surprised to be honest.

:- (

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownGhost View Post
    No as you are a random noob.
    Lol! Know who your talking to before sticking your ass in the air for me to kick.
    Last edited by Bishop; 09-11-2009 at 10:28.

Wasn't the Utopia code (or a functional replica) posted on sourceforge.net a while ago?
    For Master of Magic fans:

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Collins, CEO of OMAC
    You should ask as many people as you can to criticise what you plan on doing.

Unknown Ghost. Stay that way pal. Cos if I'm a noob you aint even ****ing born yet.

Sorry about the above, but I'm pretty pissed off by now.

Gone are the days when one person cam write and run a MMORPG. Even text based. We just don't have the time. But............

Incidentally divinorum, I'll take your comments as encouragement. Cheers!

What do you plan on doing about rights and stuff? Just rename everything and hope that'll be accepted?
    For Master of Magic fans:

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Collins, CEO of OMAC
    You should ask as many people as you can to criticise what you plan on doing.

Rename, don't use the same brand at all, call it a 'spiritual successor,' and claim fair use if Dylan C starts being dumber than usual.

I'm reading up on these things, and it doesn't look that complicated at all to make a new game like Utopia.
    Catwalk's crusade for legalized cheating was a stunning success, with ghettos and low-tiered teams everywhere losing their wells of knowledge to better kingdoms in the process.

Step one: replace everything that works.
    Step two: blame the predictable epic fail on outside forces.
    Step three: keep the community informed that no progress has been made since the last update.
    Step four: thank you for your patience.

A complete rename. Jolt will have the copyright. Only way to go.......if, of course, anyone was to consider doing anything of the sort. Eh?

Post Fiend
    hehe, VT2 actually thinks he is gonna read some stuff and then write a new utopia. arent there more experienced programmers in the community that could get started right away?

moe. Don't knock enthusiasm. Experienced or not, anyone writing a new Utopia, will be expected to produce a perfect clone, anything less will just be berated and castigated. And believe me, just cloning the throne page to perfection will take a good couple of days.

Regular
    Make it happen. I know zero about games development, but I do earn a wage - stick a paypal link in there and I'd gladly contribute to the development of Utopia's 'spiritual successor' providing that once completed, it remains a free game.

I'm sure there are plenty of others who would consider doing the same.

Thread Information