Hi All,

Apologies for today's downtime. Here's what happened.

We had some performance improvements that we wanted to deploy. We had tried out the changes on our test server and all went fine. I began deploying those changes at 4pm GMT today. Before I began, I backed up the database - just in case.

Anyone that was around will know it didn't go very well. A number of players couldn't access their provinces, Shortly afterwards we had to put up the maintenance page while we investigated the problem.

The root cause of the bug would have taken quite a while to fix, so rather than have the server down for many hours we decided to remove the change that was causing the problem and go ahead with the others. Before we'd put up the maintenance page some data had become corrupted so we had to go back to the backup that we'd made earlier (at about 4:10pm) in the day. Finally there were some small problems with the tick to sort out, but all is well now.

If you were playing between 4pm GMT and 6pm GMT in the few minutes that the server was available you may notice that changes you've made or actions taken have been lost. Apologies for this.

We always test our changes on a separate server before deploying the production, but there's always a risk that something unexpected may happen.

Cheers,
Brian