Thread: Ideas on how to make money from Utopia

Regular

Ideas on how to make money from Utopia

It must be possible to Utopia a rentable game, and if that happens then S & B or whoever else are coding it should be more interested in using time on maintaining the game, so, does anyone have any good ideas on how to make money from Utopia? If so then post them, and if we get some nice ideas then someone could pass them on to S & B.

1: I think you should be able to buy trading credits, along with the free ones you get every age. Of course they should work like the ones there are atm, where new provinces start from scratch, and provinces already in the kingdom should only be able to be traded 3 times an age, or only with a gap of 2 weeks between each trade.
    Although it wouldn't make the game rentable by itself, then it would be an easy way of getting some extra cash out of the game, without pissing off the community.

2: They could set a pay pal account or something similar up, where the utopian community could donate money to, and for every $50 donated (or whatever they should have per hour) they would work 1 hour on improving the game. I am not sure this would work, but saw no reason not to post it.
    Last edited by Darksel; 20-03-2010 at 12:18.

Post Fiend
    The top need to accept the newbies - all this bottom feeding on the so called 'ghettos' isnt helping either - new players join up, probly land in a 'ghetto' and constantly get fed on.

Yes there will always be some sort of pecking order but we need to (a) attract new players and (b) hold on to those new players.

Is utopia on twitter? Free advertising ftw! Aslo im sure atleast half the uto players have a FB account - Omac + us players could mass spam our FB mates about utopia.

We're quite an aggressive community compared with other online games and cheating is rampant - stomp out these to issues and im sure new players will stay.

Darksel as for "1: I think you should be able to buy trading credits" - people will just do it old skool style due to omac not bothering to check up on moves and trades. If they monitor this and implement a proper trading system then yes that might work but we not talking huge money here.
    Last edited by fuzzy|LLD; 20-03-2010 at 12:58.

News Correspondent Mad_Scottish's Avatar
    Part of the problem within itself is that there needs to be more of an inital outlay financially in order to move towards obtaining a more profitable game. The game needs to be more stable, although the past couple of days have been great, much more normal, but it needs more constant stability and then advertising. That all costs money, by 1. moving to a better server, then 2. advertising itself.

People will sign up, the game will be stable and a % of those that do sign up with stay. Then it is a building process. A lot of people have quit but hang around, due to how up and down the game has been, but if constant stability was there, then chances are they would return. I know from my own kd alone, 7 people would rejoin and I could allocate them kds or wait to get them back into mine as people come or go or we replace etc... thats only 7 people but then how common is that across the board in say the top 50 kds as one such example.

But yeah, if for the time being, the initial issue is that brian and sean dont want to put more money into it, but we as a community have ways to give them money via some of the things Darksel and others have suggested in other threads, and that would contribute towards being moved to a better server and to strt the process of advertising then I am sure people would contribute.

We do have a facebook page with 100 members.
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...d=273507754842

Me and few others have a few other ideas as well.

feel free to join the page and do some manual spamming.
    Lets show them that we are willing to put forth the effort to help them make this a viable business again.
    Once they have a lil hope in this game financially they may be more willing to put in the effort to fix the game.

Also maybe we need a group of volunteers willing to keep several openings in kds in order to train newbs.
    There needs to be some sort of system of newb relations or no newbs will play past the first month or so.

Maybe we can start newbs on a genesis type server. where shuffling is involved. (even playing field where new and old are mixed.)
    Or maybe alliances could be endorsed but also set up to accommodate training newbs.

Bottom line is this....
    We CAN help them figure this out.
    Communication with the Utopian community could be the difference between a business flop and a profitable business venture.

I don't think they realized exactly they were getting themselves into when they took over.
    But we are a large group of mostly highly intelligent people that are dedicated to the game itself.
    We might not do it for a particular person or the company...but we will do it for UTOPIA.

Two things in business that will always be true.
    In order to get anything you want accomplished you will need to invest time and/or money.
    There will always be a trade off between the two.
    If you want to save time you can spend more money.
    If you wanna save more money you need to invest more time.

We are a potential resource for both of these.
    But the one that we have the best track record of is TIME.
    We Utopians have a unbelievable track record of investing time in to this game.
    It is not a stretch to imagine Utopians investing time into helping fix and promote the game.

It may be a bit "out of the box" for them to get us involved but at this point I dont see what they have to lose for tryin something new.

They got a flopped business at the moment. A failed investment of their time and money.

B/S , Please give us a chance at making you guys more money.
    We can help make your efforts so far profitable.
    There is a lot of highly dedicated talented professionals hidin' with in this community.
    Don't be fooled by all the trolls and haters. We LOVE Utopia.

We can help if you let us!!!!!
    - Lookin' for Trouble !?!?!

- The greatest form of patriotism is dissent.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...id=37001844232

here is another omac utopia group - there is also an old group for swirve -- many kds (including mine) and some alliances also have groups on facebook

used to be one for utopia on myspace but I dont know if it still exists --

getting the word out there is not going to be a problem - the real problem comes from the fact the game is too slow to invite new people in - i know several who want to play and are waiting for the game to speed up first -- I also know some who wont play because of the viruses that the ads contain - if the ads were clean that would mean more revenue thru ads because right now nobody clicks them for fear of what they might catch....

it is in fact catch 22 -

Post Fiend
    Although Utopia no longer seem to be a Jolt Game I think we can assume we get "Jolt" ads.

Jolt's use only (maybe with some exceptions) CPM advertising. They get payed for the players to view the ads, not click them. With this system you don't need to click the ad to give Jolt/whoever money.

Jolt owns Utopia.
    S E C R E T S

Jolt owns Utopia...but it probably being "leased" out in some fashion to frontsquare" otherwise there would be no reason for them to "invest" time and resources into it as they stated in their announcement. So there is obviously a "partnership" of some sort going on. Some one should condense the facebook groups. The more "members" we have the more attractive it looks.
    - Lookin' for Trouble !?!?!

- The greatest form of patriotism is dissent.

Forum Fanatic
    If they want to make money from utopia the quickest way and probably the best way is to actually make the game WORK.

Monsters

Fighting the world back Proudly since Age 35

#MONSTERS

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    1 word

Prostitution

Forum Fanatic
    lmao. now that depends on whos being offered up :)

Monsters

Fighting the world back Proudly since Age 35

#MONSTERS

Moderator for:
    Utopia Kingdoms
    Legends of Zork
    Earth
    Utopia
    *shifty eyes*

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Patience View Post
    *shifty eyes*