Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Please stop this !!!!!

Post Demon
    All the security books I read so far (4 at this point) mentioned the same adage: "The internet is an hostile environment".

If you make a web app, people will try to mess with it for different reasons (ranging from profit to simply messing with it because they can).

No point asking the scripters to stop. There are hundreds (probably thousands even) of these morons out there and the only way to alleviate the problem is to deter them with good security and whenever possible, identify them and stick a lawsuit on their sorry arses.

The fact that scripters managed to mass-produce provinces shows that the security of the game was inadequate.

Then again, most companies nowadays don't take security seriously enough so the problem is not unique to S&B.

If nothing else, I'm glad I got to witness the damage these degenerates can do on someone else's app (as opposed to my own). It was very educational.

I'll be sure to crank security a notch and come down hard on those m***os.

If I make a sizeable profit, one of the first things I'll do with it is to get myself a good lawyer.

well me and my KD just got our new ww 1h before the 8-10 minutes ticks began.
    the only guys that i can think can do attacks like this are some guys that loved this game for real but decided enuf is enuf.
    most likely they were in the TOP and realized that they are wasting too much time with this "JOKE of a game" (cause of the state utopia is in nowdays).
    any of u have any idea of a SUPER kd that might have quit utopia recently? soomeone so addicted and inlove with this game that decided to kill his love before it's to late? or... maybe they just reconsidered and decided they want to come back and now they are trying to remake a KD hoping they can actually create a new KD out of newcomers...

i sincerely hope this game won't die, and this is just a phase, a crisys... i've been playin it for only 5 yrs now, and i want more... much more...

You guys should script in omac other game ... zork, uk ... =) ... show them our fate.

Odd of Absalom

Beastblood is #oddplay

˙ppo ǝɹɐ noʎ
    #odd
    Odd is a three-edged sword.
    ( ͡? ͜ʖ ͡?)

Post Demon
    Quote Originally Posted by tedybear View Post
    well me and my KD just got our new ww 1h before the 8-10 minutes ticks began.
    the only guys that i can think can do attacks like this are some guys that loved this game for real but decided enuf is enuf.
    most likely they were in the TOP and realized that they are wasting too much time with this "JOKE of a game" (cause of the state utopia is in nowdays).
    any of u have any idea of a SUPER kd that might have quit utopia recently? soomeone so addicted and inlove with this game that decided to kill his love before it's to late? or... maybe they just reconsidered and decided they want to come back and now they are trying to remake a KD hoping they can actually create a new KD out of newcomers...

i sincerely hope this game won't die, and this is just a phase, a crisys... i've been playin it for only 5 yrs now, and i want more... much more...
    Some people just like to successfully attack a system for its own sake.

They'll spend an insane amount (like, hundreds) of hours planning it and in some cases get to know the system more intimately than the peeps who designed it.

Its a hobby for them.

Some people design software for fun. Some people watch movies for fun. Some people read for fun... and some degenerates crash or otherwise misuse computer systems for fun.

The servers when swirve when the game taken this amount of account creation easily along with far more players.

However they need to ip ban each prov which hasnt been legitimately created.

or just close the create new accounts section for 1 day till they figure things up. that way, we can still play the damn game...

The ones who do this kind of stuff do it for the very reactions you are giving them. At least that's been my experience elsewhere.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by raiman View Post
    But it is clear we are at a critical junction in the games history.

Now they are at a point where they must decide to gamble more time and money into Us, or abandon ship.
    We're way past any critical point, Raiman.

And they have already said the game is only in "server maintenance" mode. Meaning nothing is going to change.
    They don't come here and read or post, they've given up and moved on.
    There'll be no end of Age, no race/persona changes to debate, no s/w updates. Nothing. It'll run AS IS in one final endless Great Age until the server gives out.

So this is it. Enjoy...
    Alas, poor Utopia! For 10 years I knew ye well.

Postaholic
    the scripters are pathetic losers

games already dieing, why bother

Post Fiend
    The person doing this. What a sad person.

Post Fiend
    One remark I must make: shutting down 400 "scripted" provs who aslo have a ****load of honor, how hard can that be? You can just filter that in the database and delete those records with a simple query. Also, why didn't we get the name of this scripter? I'm curious who is the retard without a live of his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob64 View Post
    Solution: Massively increase gangbang protection oow.

Two hits, and all further attacks do 0 damage to the defender, and twice as much losses to the attacker.

No damage = scripts are useless.
    if only it were that simple, what's next nightstrikes? where does it end?
    Corruption is a serious impediment to civil liberties.

Quote Originally Posted by Magn View Post
    All the security books I read so far (4 at this point) mentioned the same adage: "The internet is an hostile environment".

If you make a web app, people will try to mess with it for different reasons (ranging from profit to simply messing with it because they can).

No point asking the scripters to stop. There are hundreds (probably thousands even) of these morons out there and the only way to alleviate the problem is to deter them with good security and whenever possible, identify them and stick a lawsuit on their sorry arses.

The fact that scripters managed to mass-produce provinces shows that the security of the game was inadequate.

Then again, most companies nowadays don't take security seriously enough so the problem is not unique to S&B.

If nothing else, I'm glad I got to witness the damage these degenerates can do on someone else's app (as opposed to my own). It was very educational.

I'll be sure to crank security a notch and come down hard on those m***os.

If I make a sizeable profit, one of the first things I'll do with it is to get myself a good lawyer.
    I've couldn't have said it better myself. totally agree with raiman and magn on this
    Corruption is a serious impediment to civil liberties.

Quote Originally Posted by Patience View Post
    Hopefully Thundergore can do something about this... *crosses fingers*
    How the hell is Thundergore going to do anything about scripts in the GAME when all he is is a forum mod?

and why the hell haven't the BS Boyz put captchas on prov creation yet????

unbelievable
    ~ Lúthien ~
    “There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ~Albert Schweitzer
    Words make us think thoughts... Music makes us feel feelings... Songs make us feel thoughts" ~"Yip" Harburg
    Goodnight Utopia

lol...Yeah .
    I asked that captcha not be taken away....I got flamed.

I asked that it get put back...I got flamed.

We should look at those that were flamin me on it.

Abviously someone didnt want them put back for a reason other than it took an extra few seconds to log in.

It would seriously slow down or eliminate the scipters abilities. And its a quick fix.
    - Lookin' for Trouble !?!?!

- The greatest form of patriotism is dissent.

Thread Information