Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please give Jolt a breather

Please give Jolt a breather

We've stated our dissatisfaction with their negligence very loudly, and very succesfully. They've heard us and responded to our grievances, even if it isn't exactly what we'd like to hear. A popular CM is being restored, and they're thinking about what they want to do with the game. It would be a good idea to stop antagonizing them for a while now, deserved or not. So please, let's lay off the bashing. We can go beat up stuffed animals instead or something.
    For Master of Magic fans:

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Collins, CEO of OMAC
    You should ask as many people as you can to criticise what you plan on doing.

Catwalk is campaigning for moderator.

They can't take care of the game, it needs to shut down, and fast.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Catwalk View Post
    and they're thinking about what they want to do with the game.
    Wrong. They made their decision last year when the game officially went into Maintenance mode.

To me there is only one problem we are dealing with atm. Keeping the game alive.

I think both the devs and the trolls are working under a misapprehension.

The trolls think they are Utopia.
    The devs think the trolls represent Utopia.

It has become personal.

The vast majority of Utopia has only one immediate goal.

The game must go on.

How would you guys handle this situation if you were the devs bearing in
    mind you have:

1. No immediate solution to the lag and the tick
    2. Limited resources
    3. Limited time
    4. Haven't given up on the game yet but were beginning to loathe the game because of the unwarranted abuse of the forum trolls.

If it were me, I'd institute a new forums policy.
    1. All posts re administration of the game be redirected to Bugs & Suggestions.
    - no prose beyond a brief statement of the problem if it is new
    - no multiple posting
    - only one thread per topic

2. All negative posts directed at the devs, admin & mods will be deleted
    and their posters banned for one week - multiple abusers perma banned
    from the forums.

That would solve the negativity and hopefully inspire the devs to want to deliver the best game possible under the circumstances.

It is obvious the game has more problems than this but since this one is crucial to whether the game survives this age, one step at a time. Before the Devs will take steps against the other issues, they must be committed to the game.

LL Utopia!
    Last edited by Prince Blood; 22-03-2010 at 03:22.
    Outwit! .. Outlast! .. Outplay!

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Go away Princess Troll.

Sir Postalot
    ok, who hacked catwalks account?
    Deliverance -> secrets -> anzac -> mercy -> rage -> "ghetto"

Arrow Wassa matta, Sweet Cheeks, shoe fit?

Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    Go away Princess Troll.
    Dun worry, once the negativity fades I will be gone,
    perhaps after a brief mention of my mailbox theory.
    Why did he empty the mail?

Don't be an ass about personal stuff.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Edit so I don't look like I'm attacking Poggo
    Last edited by Palem; 22-03-2010 at 03:57.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Kingdoms
    Legends of Zork
    Utopia
    Earth
    He's dead, Palem.
    Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Poggo View Post
    Don't be an ass about personal stuff.
    No idea what you're talking about. My mailbox theory is that Mehul emptied
    the mailboxes after three days as a matter of course. Currently our mail
    is never emptied allowing millions of documents including mass mail to clutter
    the server. If this happened on my computer the memory would be screwed.
    Ppl tell me this has no affect on the server. Not saying that this is all
    the cause of the lag but perhaps a contributing factor and worth investigating
    since the lag is so much worse now than it was at age start. Wondering
    why Mehul emptied the mail boxes if there was no point to it. Don't think he
    did too many things without a reason. Is worth a shot. Nothing ventured
    nothing gained. There has to be a reason for the lag. How wonderful it
    would be if it were something as simple and inexpensive as this.

I remember back when I was new to these forums. I was one of the guys who kept singing, "Give peace a chance", like some hippie war protester. Slowly I started to realize that nothing they ever said would happen, happened, and if they weren't outright lying, they were being more optimistic and self-delusional than Helen Keller thinking she can paint a masterpiece.

I am the perfect example of what a year and a half of non-communication, lies, and failures does to a community. It turns you from someone who wants to help, into someone who just wants to unleash as much anger as they can for destroying something they enjoyed. I'm sure that this anger is part of the reason that whomever is behind the DDOS attacks is trying to kill Utopia.

In the unlikely event that S&B actually do something for a change (And hey... Now would be the time.) I'll be here, and I'll do what I can. (Which, unless they give us moderation/developing power, is nothing) But as we all know, actions speak louder than words. And while there have been some times when their words have been decent, their actions haven't followed through.

They couldn't stop DDOS on the old code, so they went to the new code prematurely. I ask you: Is the new code working any better for them? The code base shift did nothing but delay things.

Speaking of new code, we gave them a pass on the bugs in it because it was deployed prematurely. How many of those bugs, in the six(?)ish months it's been have been fixed, and how many remain? One quick look at the bug forums will tell you the majority have been ignored. Even with my simple knowledge of programming I can tell you how to fix some of the bugs, because it's obvious what's causing them. Yet they go ignored.

They deleted Sinners, giving some in the community the hope that they would start to enforce cheating. (Albeit selectively) What did we get? A reinstatement.

These examples, and others like them, are a perfect reason why I don't expect anything to be done. Seriously, Sean and Brian, what do you do all day? We go quite literally months, and there isn't so much as an update on what you aren't doing. No bug fixes, no hardware upgrades, nothing. Does Jolt actually pay you to sit in front of your desks and flick paper footballs at each other? Because if they do, where can I apply for a job?

I'm pretty sure that given the past four months, working 9-5 on the weekdays, I could have taught myself the requisite coding to run the game, figured out how the game actually worked, and actually fixed some of the bugs. (I probably wouldn't even need to do the first two to fix some of the bugs) How can two people, who presumably have the coding knowledge work from 9-5 for six months and accomplish almost nothing? I say almost because there is a short list of bugs you've fixed. (But a much longer one that you haven't.)

It's time to hand Utopia over to the community. It's the only thing that will save it now. I know some open-source projects that have been tremendously successful, and I don't see why open-source is incompatible with profit - you can easily put in the terms of use provisions that would ensure that. And it's not like they would even be able to "undercut" your prices - you're offering a free game. And they wouldn't want to divide the player base - it's too small already. But if you don't hand Utopia over to the community, that's exactly what will happen. They will make a clone, and, Utopia, as we know it, will die.

Post Fiend
    It's kind of hard to keep your mouth shut when the people who promised to bring life back to a game many people here have enjoyed for the better part of a decade (some 10 years or more) have not only failed horribly at that endeavor, but are now laying the blame at the feet of the very community who wants the game kept alive; but lacks the tools to do so.

At least that's how I took the update Sean posted; If that's not his intended message, then it's some really piss poor wording.

No one thinks they deserve it, except the prince.
    There will be no peace until they show some progress.
    Catwalk's crusade for legalized cheating was a stunning success, with ghettos and low-tiered teams everywhere losing their wells of knowledge to better kingdoms in the process.

Step one: replace everything that works.
    Step two: blame the predictable epic fail on outside forces.
    Step three: keep the community informed that no progress has been made since the last update.
    Step four: thank you for your patience.

yes, lets all rail against them until they pull the plug on the game - that will show them!

Thread Information