Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Age 47 - Halflings

Development Team

Age 47 - Halflings

I'm working on introducing halfings for Age 47 as an alternative Thief race.

It seems the old off/def/elite names were:

Off: Spearman
    Def: Archer
    Elite: Half-giant

I'm not too keen on these names, any suggestions?

News Correspondent Mad_Scottish's Avatar
    Thats an interesting one. Seeing halflings come back. The names arent that bad to be honest. Although the elite could be tweaked given that halflings are small, given the name. Gnomes have Golems as their elites, you could go with Hobbits as the Halfling elite. Ties it into the races :)

gnomes replace halflings, and are pretty much the same race, why are you gonna bring halfers back?
    ~ Lúthien ~
    “There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ~Albert Schweitzer
    Words make us think thoughts... Music makes us feel feelings... Songs make us feel thoughts" ~"Yip" Harburg
    Goodnight Utopia

yea i dont see the point, with gnomes around, you might as well bring back faeries if you want to drum up some old memories...
    uTools for Firefox | uTools for Chrome
    [Angels - Mercy - Evolution - Rage ]

Post Fiend
    How about 'Brute' for the elite? It implies a small but powerful nonhuman.

Veteran
    Even if it may be better to balance current races, introducting a new one is still some fun and it's good to see Devs doing stuff :)

Suggestions
    Off: Brute
    Def: Slinger
    Elite: Pony Rider
    War horses: War Ponies

Trying to stay somewhat close to classic fantasy :) And yes, Riders can attack on foot too, haha

Development Team
    Quote Originally Posted by _Angelus_ View Post
    yea i dont see the point, with gnomes around, you might as well bring back faeries if you want to drum up some old memories...
    It's not about old memories (at least not this time). It's about adding viable options. At the moment Gnome is the clear choice for thieves, there should be an alternative. Could go with Faery either - I'm open to suggestions.

*edited - wrong quote
    Last edited by Brian_; 08-05-2010 at 15:29.

Focus on the existing races. There are enough to choose from and adding another is just change for the sake of change.

I like the way we currently have flexibility in terms of which races can be thieves in some form. There's no need to put every race into a specific box. Just have one that's only good as a strong thief (gnome), one that's only good as a strong mage (DE) and the rest can be pure attackers or hybrids with varying abilities for thievery/magic. That way there are few "right" choices.

If you insist on bringing back halflings, the names for units will never be easy. Let's be honest - halflings have no real potential to be cool, so no names that sound "good" aren't likely to fit.
    Last edited by Osiris; 08-05-2010 at 16:53.
    You see, there's two kinds of people in this world, my friend. Those with loaded guns... and those who dig.
    You dig.

Postaholic
    I dont see the need of a Halfling when we already have a gnome that is underpowerd? (but the clear choise if you want good thivery skills)

Bring back Undead & Fairies, but not the UD that was in the game 2 ages ago, a real nice one like way back with nightmares. That was way fun beeing ud/mystic :D And give the option to all ppl that whish to play as t/m's whit fairy's..

I would love to see halflings or gnomes have 6 point off spec tho.
    Last edited by NoseBlood; 08-05-2010 at 17:00.

More choices are always fun.

How about bringing back the freak personality? Faerie Freak owned.

Halfers

ospec: forgers

dspec: keggers

leets: gnaves
    Shaken not stirred.

Ospec: Stouts
    Dspec: Harfoots
    Elite: Tallfellows

I would prefer to see faeries as opposed to halfings tho
    uTools for Firefox | uTools for Chrome
    [Angels - Mercy - Evolution - Rage ]

You are dead wrong.

If you want A/T - which is what you want if you're thinking of playing 'thief' - you run human.

Why?
    Because they have much greater numbers and abilities than gnome, so the natural bonus to TPA becomes less of a factor than you'd like it to be.

Until 'gnome' or 'halfling' gets competitive numbers, they won't be serious choices.

This age, even dwarf did good A/T, since it lost the TPA-penalty, but still retained all the things that make it awesome.
    Catwalk's crusade for legalized cheating was a stunning success, with ghettos and low-tiered teams everywhere losing their wells of knowledge to better kingdoms in the process.

Step one: replace everything that works.
    Step two: blame the predictable epic fail on outside forces.
    Step three: keep the community informed that no progress has been made since the last update.
    Step four: thank you for your patience.

Enthusiast
    The thief race we already have is weak. Why introduce a second again?

Because our developer doesn't understand why gnome is weak in the first place, and the standard response by inexperienced designers and developers to weak things is to add more of them.
    Catwalk's crusade for legalized cheating was a stunning success, with ghettos and low-tiered teams everywhere losing their wells of knowledge to better kingdoms in the process.

Step one: replace everything that works.
    Step two: blame the predictable epic fail on outside forces.
    Step three: keep the community informed that no progress has been made since the last update.
    Step four: thank you for your patience.

Post Fiend
    Off spec: Thain (to halflings, a Thain is a noble person that usually runs the town)
    Def spec: Slayer (the halflings fought an attack of dragons in their early existence)
    Elite: Brute (i've already posted)

As for the thief race being weak, it's not really a discussion- races are updated every age, and I'm sure they've seen how weak they were. Wait for race changes to discuss that.

TONS of off-topic posts in here need deleted and banned. Can a mod get in here? Brian's looking for name suggestions, that's it.
    Last edited by Sean1; 08-05-2010 at 18:48. Reason: spelling

Thread Information