Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Age 47 - Halflings Discussion

Veteran

Age 47 - Halflings Discussion

since a few of the posts were deleted for discussing the idea instead of staying on topic by giving suggestions only:

adding a new race now is ridiculous. It's a very easy process to add a new race, the devs claim, so all it tells me is they're doing more surface changes to make the game appear fresh when there are still many bugs from the alpha stage in the game. I understand time constraints, but instead of, imo, wasting time playing with new races when current ones aren't very balanced, why not devote some of that time to hunting down and fixing bugs?

devs say they need our help, but it's hard to help them fix bugs if they don't tell us what else they need from us (assuming they need anything else from us, since obviously the bugs haven't been fixed from what we've given them).. Help us help you, S&B, and fix the game before playing with the game. Adding a new race seems pointless.

=( my legitimate suggestion was deleted. They asked for what names of units should be of the proposed halfling race and i said they should be grounded in how utopia and the races are. I proposed offense specs to be "bugs", def specs to be "are", and elites to be "rampant"
    this suggestion is clearly a reminder to people they are playing halfling race, and further a reflection of utopia as a whole. Just like dwarves have "bezerkers" for elites, and gnomes have "golems", having the elite of "rampant" is just another adjective that accurately describes a halfling race. Plus the play on words for all 3 when read together is just a bonus, and indicative of the communities <3 that they're still playing the game regardless that the pun is true.
    =( i'm saddened that the suggestion was removed, even though it is legitimate.
    Last edited by Nuriho; 09-05-2010 at 18:04. Reason: =(

+++1

agree completely
    ~ Lúthien ~
    “There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ~Albert Schweitzer
    Words make us think thoughts... Music makes us feel feelings... Songs make us feel thoughts" ~"Yip" Harburg
    Goodnight Utopia

They're not interested in communicating with us, and instead run their own race behind the scenes.

"Duuuuude, gnome is like, total weaksauce!"
    "I know, like, duuude!"
    "We should totally add another race like it!"
    "Yeah, man. Now pass me the bong!"

If they understood why gnome is weak and inferior, they wouldn't have proposed adding a clone.

Of course, the one supporter they have - plus Bishop - is going to tell us all that if we were less negative, they'd communicate with us, but I'm here to tell you that such things would make zero difference.
    If they knew their own game, we'd not be in a position where one of our 'developers' suggests adding another useless, inferior race, that only n00bs will pick.

Personally, this is just ridiculous.
    Is anyone going to pop out of castle OMACskull, and claim that adding more useless 'thief races,' rather than fixing the one we already have, is somehow a good idea?
    Catwalk's crusade for legalized cheating was a stunning success, with ghettos and low-tiered teams everywhere losing their wells of knowledge to better kingdoms in the process.

Step one: replace everything that works.
    Step two: blame the predictable epic fail on outside forces.
    Step three: keep the community informed that no progress has been made since the last update.
    Step four: thank you for your patience.

I LOVE the idea of a new race. The more options for thievery the better. Halfing as a race is pure genius.

THANK YOU S&B. People shouldn't whine and complain about having more choices.

Actually all this whining about not needing halfings is going to lead to haflings being really overpowered. Just wait and see.

As long as they nerf dwarves, I'm happy.

Enthusiast
    I'm starting to think that Poggo is a VT2 clone that he uses to emphasize his point when he calls something stupid.

Personally, I agree with VT2 here - why would we need a second thievery race when things are so unbalanced as they stand for the races? I'd be fine if it was bringing something with a unique mechanic like undead's lossless attacks or DE's runeless spells into the game, but just adding a second thievery race? Why bother with that when you could work on balancing things out between the races and their specialties more?

Now if that's already in the works and they'll get some new unique mechanic to make them something special then I'm for it, but it definitely seems like there are other things that it would be better to spend time on.
    Quote Originally Posted by freemehul View Post
    you're like some davidian branch.
    TipTripTrap, proud branch davidian since freemehul convinced me to convert.

I apologize profusely in advance for any possible offense that could be caused by perceived sarcasm in this post. Sorry again, please enjoy your stay in this thread. Thank you for your patience.

Busted. Cat's out of the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by VT2 View Post
    They're not interested in communicating with us, and instead run their own race behind the scenes.

Personally, this is just ridiculous.
    Is anyone going to pop out of castle OMACskull, and claim that adding more useless 'thief races,' rather than fixing the one we already have, is somehow a good idea?
    I wonder where did you get this ridiculous idea that they arent going to fix the gnomes :)
    Utopia: a "Mess"ive multiplayer strategy game since Mehul sold it

Veteran
    their past record speaks for itself, aposai
    what more evidence do you need?

so you want them to fix bugs and not do any changes? id prefer if they did both tbh.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuriho View Post
    their past record speaks for itself, aposai
    what more evidence do you need?
    That's incredibly speculative, since races are changed almost every age, and they made huge changes last age.

We got great, effective, and sweeping changes for one age.
    Each year is made up of 4 ages.
    OMAC's been running this game for over two years, and only one age has had something actually new in it.

Yes, they need to do both, and they were supposed to fix bugs during this age, while everyone was having fun with the improved races and personalities, but that didn't really happen.
    We had fun, but stuff didn't end up fixed to a degree that pleases us.
    Catwalk's crusade for legalized cheating was a stunning success, with ghettos and low-tiered teams everywhere losing their wells of knowledge to better kingdoms in the process.

Step one: replace everything that works.
    Step two: blame the predictable epic fail on outside forces.
    Step three: keep the community informed that no progress has been made since the last update.
    Step four: thank you for your patience.

This is true, more bug fixes and minor tweaks for this age would be fine imo. However, if what Brian said is true then adding a new race is a trivial matter (dev timewise).

i can kinda see the logic to adding a new thief race, we have 2 magic races, a couple of kinda straight attackers, 2 more obviously hybrid ones yet only 1 obvious thief race. If a new race is added then it needs to be sufficiently different to the current thief race otherwise it is just redundant. Considering last ages changes though they dont seem to have any issues with radically changing things,

Veteran
    'cept this isn't a real game, it's a beta. we found bugs, now it's their job to fix them. tbh, i wouldn't care if they shut the game down while they find the time to do it.
    playing a beta game forever and a day is not the kinda game i want. If there are bugs, they need to be fix. If they're not gonna be fix, have them integrated in the game as "features" like the 100% accurate SoM is now. No point in picking and choosing bugs that are okay for people to abuse, no point in creating more races to "freshen" up the game, if the game is in a horrible state. The races aren't the problem, the bugs are.

No one here says, "we got a new race, sweet, forget about the bugs I'am good with my new race."

it is just that adding a new race is a job that can be achieved in minutes codewise, while fixing a bug isnt. Thus they can do it with ease and at least they are doing it. I'am %100 percent positive that we have to keep reminding them to fix the bugs, but it is simply absurd to yell at them just becouse they are giving us new things to play with.
    Utopia: a "Mess"ive multiplayer strategy game since Mehul sold it

Post Fiend
    Such a pointless, tiresome discussion.

Its not a new race, for one thing, its an old, old race. They rebadged it and called them gnomes a few ages ago for some reason.
    You want halfers, fine. rebadge the Gnomes and you're done.
    If you want something new, then go for something completely different - like intelligent octopusses that live in the seas and can only attack forces returning from attacks. Or Sandworms that cannot cross the waters to another island.

"Different" should mean bloody *different, not some tired old rehash.
    Alas, poor Utopia! For 10 years I knew ye well.

Thread Information