Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Age 47 Changes - comments

Former Community Manager Thundergore's Avatar

Age 47 Changes - comments

If you have constructive comments after reading the recent announcement then include them below.

Many thanks.

Edit: No flaming, trolling, taking this thread off topic or otherwise breaching the forum rules.
    Last edited by Thundergore; 17-05-2010 at 19:48.

It's race/personality bonuses that need tweaking IMO. One need only look at the population stats of Utopia to see that there's a pretty clear imbalance at the moment, and minor tweaks to race/personality can often have a pretty major effect. When can we expect to see the new race and personality numbers?

Also I'm curious to see the reasoning behind making CB and CE a thief operation. Your reasoning is not clear from your post. What effect are you hoping to achieve with this change?

Spy on Military is used plenty often; I'm not sure that moving CE/CB to thievery for the sake of it is really a good change, imo. Also consider that this change probably actually weakens thievery, as stealth is a limiting factor and if you have to use stealth to get *all* forms of intel, you'll have less to spend on the destructive ops. It'll also lead to less variety in strat choice as everyone will have to have high thieves first to take intel, and second to defend against those with high tpa (for blocking against both intel and destructive ops). ATM it's ridiculously difficult to take an SOM with even a relatively minor TPA imbalance.
    Last edited by avarice; 17-05-2010 at 18:13. Reason: clarification

So now ALL intel operation will be done using thieves and NONE with wizzards?

that doesnt make the tiniest bit of sense.

now if you had decided that there needed to be some self ops to balance self spells i could understand it (why shouldnt clear sight be a self op? or town watch apart from having to do a new mechanic for it), but thieves already do alot of the leg work for intel gathering - infil, survery, sos, som.

did someone tell you they always have full stealth tank or something? thievery is already important, it has lots of direct damage ops that are widely used. if youre wondering why rogue wasnt popular its because the ops available to rogue only are largely useless when greater arson is nerfed because the whole server is artisan, prop is useless for dealing damage and is only used to honor whore and AW is a support for when your DEs cant NM.

So why not choose sage, have a better tpa, better military and better everything, seeing as 90% of the time what you want to do is riot and NS, or maybe get BG up.

please explain.

Enthusiast
    I consider the changes insanely idiotic. They seem to be a complete newbie suggestion to try and make gnomes and the idiotic new race halflings useful.
    Thievery was already important espionage wise for SoM, SoS, etc.

Why are you making changes no one asked for like this crystal ball thing and a new race... Seriously...

Forum Addict
    Please stop trying to change the game.

I understand the desire to change things and make tweaks to keep the game dynamic, but the fact is that the game is STILL buggy and has major issues. Until you can get through an entire stable age, with little to no major bugs or issues, please stop trying to change things around to make them different.

The sad fact is that the development team has unfortunately repeatedly demonstrated that they do not understand the balance of the game, as reflected in the complete imbalance this age that made some races scarcely playable and Dwarf as the clear favorite with huge advantages. Until you guys can get through a solid, clean age, please don't try and make these big sweeping changes. Don't try to run before you can walk.
    INFERNO OF ABSALOM
    The Jew

Quote Originally Posted by Thundergore View Post
    In order to increase the importance of thievery, Crystal Ball and Crystal Eye shall be removed from spells and added as espionage thievery operations.
    Moving CB and CE to thievery won't increase the importance of thievery. Non-mages can get CBs most of the time and non-thieves will be able to get them most of the time if you change it. In fact, you could argue that it weakens thievery, as thieves will have to either find someone else to get intel or waste their stealth on it.

There are already plenty of destructive thief operations, but not so many espionage operations.
    Intel magic: CB, CE (2)
    Intel thievery: Survey, SoS, SoM, infiltrate (4)

I'd say the balance is pretty good there, considering that CB is the most used. And 4 is definitely a bigger number than 2.

Halflings will be returning to Utopia as a strong thief race.
    I hope you meant a "balanced thief race".
    Last edited by Osiris; 17-05-2010 at 18:28.
    You see, there's two kinds of people in this world, my friend. Those with loaded guns... and those who dig.
    You dig.

Also just caught something.

"Thievery operations will be split into two categories - Espionage and Sabotage. "

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't split these up like you've split the two types of spells. Please continue to have them all on one page. Please?

Post Fiend
    Uhm...aren't there really three kinds of thief ops: Espionage, Larceny, and Sabotage?

And...isn't there already a "strong thief" race... starts with "G," has five letters, sorta rhymes with a Jewish word for "Peace"?

And gnomes are plenty powerful...people just don't make use of the NW-economy correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by avarice View Post
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't split these up like you've split the two types of spells. Please continue to have them all on one page. Please?
    Seconded -- One list is better than 2.

Post Fiend
    You wanted suggestions for the names of thief operations.
    They are boring, but:

"Spy on Province"
    and
    "Spy on Kingdom News"
    seem the most obvious.

Question: Would "Spy on Province News" be too powerful? I think that could be really interesting.

I vote for "Spy on Province" just because it sounds so... lame.
    You see, there's two kinds of people in this world, my friend. Those with loaded guns... and those who dig.
    You dig.

thats bec the thievery op for that IS lame
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein

Names could be

CB: Observe or Steal Report
    CE: Investigate or Discover History

Suggested names:
    CB: Gather Information
    CE: Contact Informants

Post Demon
    I'm all in favour of some changes to thievery, but not moving CB and CE to thievery - having a balance between needing wizards and thieves for intel is good - moving all to thieves just takes the balance away from using wizards.

Instead why not get rid of the "dumbed down" modified offence and modified defence from CBs and force people to get the intel via SoMs, Surveys, etc and even bring in a Spy on Mystics op to see if people have TW, MP and whatever else cast.
    Last edited by pmyraje; 17-05-2010 at 19:49.

Thread Information