Thread: Avain personality

Avain personality

I played 2-3 ages and I played just Warrior and War Hero. Now I need to choose new personality and I would like to know cons and pros.

I see most of the people say that sage is the best, can you explain to me why exactly.

Why not sheepherd.

Also one more thing shoudn't merchant save the most % of buildings for heavy attacker.

Post Demon
    Shepherd is very good as well as Sage. Shepherd is "easier" because Sage effectiveness builds up over time as your sciences start to get better and better. Merchant is a very weak personality for a proper player. Income boost is nice and the immunity to income penalties comes in handy in wars, but weighed against the bonuses of the other personalities it really doesn't stack up. The lower losses for Plunders is largely irrelevant and only of use to Bank provinces - your average attacker doesn't leave massive stockpiles of cash around to be plundered regularly. If you are doing then it indicates you probably don't need Merchant anyway because you have more income than you need!

OK. This is strat I use:

5% Homes
    5% Farms
    15% Banks
    20% TG
    20% Rax
    20% Hospitals
    10% Guilds
    5% Towers

What I meant was if I take merchant it would free 15% of the land (15% Banks).
    Sheepherd would free 10% (5% Homes + 5% Farms).
    Sage would free 9% (1.5% Homes 1.5% Farms 4.5% Banks 1.5% Towers) + the part from cheap science, so its probably x2 (18%).

Merchant - immunity to greed, riots, plague
    Sheepherd - +8.4 on population, immunity to plague
    Sage - better science

And still warrior sounds best to me, but with +30 gains it will be unplayable for me in war.
    Sage will be my choice cause it gives massive science and better echonomy.
    Last edited by Jimi; 23-05-2010 at 18:08.

Post Demon
    Your 15% banks give you quite a bit more than +15% income because they give flat rate gc bonus too so Merchant wouldn't save quite 15% of land anyway.

That is way I asked. Thanks.

Post Fiend
    I would place my money on Tactician if you plan on attacking a lot, especially during wars. You'll be getting a lot of land that can't be ambushed, and with tactician you'll be building into it incredibly fast.

Post Fiend
    I know it wasnt EXACTLY the same but i just played Avian/shepherd this last age and it was pretty cool. Econ is **** but i was an avian, to be expected really. Your immune to a LOT of crap as avian shepherd. aside from just plague your immune to sorms/drought/vermin. Plus your already immune to ambush wich is an extremely helpful bonus, and of course the masive food you get freeing up roughly 5% of land. Also have to mention the Pop bonus keeping me at about 30 ppa from start-finish allowing me to run a bit more offense. This age I would probably pick sage just for the late age bonus but shep. is not to be looked downed upon. its basically if you wanna be hitting hard off the start or hitting HARD later in the age, personal preference really.

About Tactician though, im not sure why im just not a fan. I hated having to convert to specs with avian, you go from 8 to 5, just not happy about that. I would just run higher Hosp. to prevent as many leets from dying form the start anyway. I just dont think the bonuses you get from tact. are so powerful as to help build in the extra 30%, I had hard enough time without that. i could be wrong but those are my thoughts
    Last edited by Driskle; 24-05-2010 at 01:01.

Last age I played avian warrior but it was very hard to keep up with new land in war with attack times 6-7h. I was choosing between sheepherd and warrior, first cause of higher off and 2nd cause of speed. Warrior is great oow for attack/plunder/attack but in war needs a lot of money that is why I wont play it with this new and great +30 on gains.

I'm interested in sage, but I do not really know how it works. How log is period until this bonus get expressed, and is it really that much better than other personalities at that time.

As for tactician were you able to build all your new land with free building credits.
    Last edited by Jimi; 24-05-2010 at 05:16.

Post Fiend
    Its not JUSt the land to build remember, you have to grow your Pop into it than train up the army to defend it, even with shepherd i was pretty much keeping all acres comin in built anyway even without the extra gains. and the -30% from wages/draft really isnt THAT much. If your willing to run 10% banks or so should be fine for money.

As for how sage works, your just able to CONSTANTLY pump sci the entire time without ever having to turn it off really. You wont see the difference right off but about halfway through till the end you will start to see higher numbers your able to run. This age though id probably aim for 8-8.5h hit times more than the 6-7( means you can drop rax to about 10% and be fine), especically with the gians. You will still out hit a lot of people and most liekly be unable to builkd in ALL your land but that should be fine, you trade acres in war anyway. So i guess, if you wanna put the time and effort into sage to run higher numbers and be a bit more stable later on go for it. If not id go for Shepherd.

O, and i didnt clarify earlier about a statement i made, the whole reason i mentioned not liking going from 8 strength leets to 5/0 Specs is because youd get more creds from Tact. but its just not worth giving up the other bonuses from sage or avian imo.

Post Demon
    That's the thing with extra pop bonus from Shepherd too though - if you can't afford to train any of them into troops it isn't an especially strong bonus, much though I like having loads of peasants!

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by pmyraje View Post
    That's the thing with extra pop bonus from Shepherd too though - if you can't afford to train any of them into troops it isn't an especially strong bonus, much though I like having loads of peasants!
    This is true for the most part, i was forced to run 10% banks. but with that it was relatively easy to keep pumped, of course in war i switch to going specs but during eowcf and the 3-5 days after that people take to rebuild their provs its pretty easy to re-pump into leets, then again was running 4.5 RAW tpa and had massive luck with thief targets. my highest rob the vaults this last age was for 286k in one op. :)

But yea, its definitely a struggle to keep pumped, with this age focusing more on thievery i doubt youd be able to get so lucky but its an option.

Thread Information