Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maybe there was a reason for genesis?

Maybe there was a reason for genesis?

just saying mabeh!

Enthusiast
    ditto

Forum Fanatic
    yea but gen was never used for a test server in the first place like it was designed to be.

Monsters

Fighting the world back Proudly since Age 35

#MONSTERS

but these guys don't know the meaning of "testing" so having gen wouldn't help anyway
    ~ Lúthien ~
    “There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ~Albert Schweitzer
    Words make us think thoughts... Music makes us feel feelings... Songs make us feel thoughts" ~"Yip" Harburg
    Goodnight Utopia

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder TA View Post
    yea but gen was never used for a test server in the first place like it was designed to be.
    First age on Gen had random races. That wasn't a good idea so it never happened on WoL
    Ambush was first introduced on Gen and then moved to WoL.

Forum Fanatic
    ok 2 things done prior to them taking over were tried on Gen out of everything done

2 things didnt make it a test server.ALL CHANGES should have been implemented on it like it was designed to be in the first place instead of it being used as a tourney server and other bull crap.all it became was a random server that reset each age.

Monsters

#MONSTERS

Let us give them the benefit of the doubt for a second.
    Let us say that they tested the code and it worked beautifully, it was elegant, there were no bugs, exploits, everything was perfect.

Now, note that at the beginning of the age a small error occurred and they had to issue a patch for that.
    I'm not saying that patch is what certainly brought about these bugs... but that bugs can "emerge" after patching. And even if they had genesis up, given that the attack bug was caused by the patch, then genesis wouldn't have caught it.
    Just say "yes" and I'll go away.

Forum Fanatic
    cant keep given them the benefit of doubt. they havent had a restart yet that worked.so i doubt they would have ran it anywhere to begin with. its like they scramble right before restart to put it together and never test it .may be why its in beta for 2 1/2 years

Monsters

#MONSTERS

"benefit of the doubt" just doesn't work after 2 yrs of giving it to them... they need to start performing, or just close up shop. i don't know of ANY employer who would keep employees who are this fail in everything they do
    ~ Lúthien ~
    “There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ~Albert Schweitzer
    Words make us think thoughts... Music makes us feel feelings... Songs make us feel thoughts" ~"Yip" Harburg
    Goodnight Utopia

Well, what I was trying to indicate was that they COULD have had perfect code. You can't actually deny that they could have. And that they broke it with last minute patching.

To put it a little more bluntly, it's like a plumber, having finished his job, running through the house tightening fasteners, and having snapped one from tightening it too much. And this happens ALL THE TIME (maybe not with plumbers, but programmers, sure). You'll have a working program, want to "improve" it a little, and then end up breaking the whole thing with your improvements.

But also, I think you all forget this is an OPEN Beta. Open Beta's don't accomplish much, what they need is a closed beta so they can restart the age over and over. Do note, they can't do many "game altering changes" while the age is going on. Not only is there a chance that something could go wrong and the entire age could be lost... but there could be KD's that specifically utilize the effects that they knew to be in the age... (Like Amnesia destroying sci instead of unlearning it. Or Nightmares being deadly strong). Changing that would ruin the KD setup, or force them to adopt a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallo View Post
    Well, what I was trying to indicate was that they COULD have had perfect code. You can't actually deny that they could have. And that they broke it with last minute patching.

To put it a little more bluntly, it's like a plumber, having finished his job, running through the house tightening fasteners, and having snapped one from tightening it too much. And this happens ALL THE TIME (maybe not with plumbers, but programmers, sure). You'll have a working program, want to "improve" it a little, and then end up breaking the whole thing with your improvements.

But also, I think you all forget this is an OPEN Beta. Open Beta's don't accomplish much, what they need is a closed beta so they can restart the age over and over. Do note, they can't do many "game altering changes" while the age is going on. Not only is there a chance that something could go wrong and the entire age could be lost... but there could be KD's that specifically utilize the effects that they knew to be in the age... (Like Amnesia destroying sci instead of unlearning it. Or Nightmares being deadly strong). Changing that would ruin the KD setup, or force them to adopt a new one.
    1. no one expects them to have PERFECT code... there's not a program in existence that has perfect code. what we expect though is code that after 2+ yrs of beta runs at a decent level of competence, and this one does not.

2. the only reason this is "open" beta is that roisin's login page was breached with mehul's code behind it and they chose not to repair that and put an unfinished product out for us to beta for them under the premise that it was functional. this code was not supposed to go fully open on wol until after it had been tested on genesis after beta was somewhat complete. So here we are in our 3rd age of beta, with bugs that have existed since alpha. and it does not function in any way, shape or form like a finished product, or even a semi-finished product.

3. They jumped from closed beta to open beta without that central step to allow for things like the tick breaking when they went from 2k to 10k players. or other bugs like the explore/sci/mil training bugs that made them "bandaid" the errors with things like professors, instead of fixing the root problem (which I don't believe is truly fixed because you are still able to run out of the non-existent "professors". etc...

4. And then there's the beloved "tick". has anyone EVER seen such a thing in existence in any game, let alone a very basic text game? again, another "bandaid" fix instead of fixing the root problem.

5. They have failed at putting even one age online without a catastrophic failure of some sort since mehul sold the game. not one. hell, they can't even get the time right for critical events like oop.

I'm glad they at least finally chose to take it down so they could identify the problem rather than letting it run endlessly allowing many people certain advantages over others. And at least they also finally changed the login page to show they have paused ticking.
    Last edited by Luth; 30-05-2010 at 02:03.
    ~ Lúthien ~
    Goodnight Utopia

Luth... sometimes I seriously wonder.

I'm explaining WHY the errors exist and WHY they have not been fixed. Open Beta is worthless for anything other than stress tests.

They need the FREEDOM to restart the ages whenever they want and just blatantly play around with the code... and open beta does not permit them that freedom.

And seriously, enough about the tick...

*sigh luth*
    Last edited by Hallo; 30-05-2010 at 02:44.

enough about the tick? that's the first time i've brought it up in a long time... was just putting it in as part of what i see as failure on their part.

this game never should have been put on open beta in the state the code was in when they pushed it out... and everyone has suffered for that decision.

If they had put it out on genesis first as initially planned, i really don't believe the game would be in the critical state it's in now. but obv, there's no way to know the answer to that.
    Last edited by Luth; 30-05-2010 at 02:47.
    ~ Lúthien ~
    Goodnight Utopia

Thats what I'm saying!

Open Beta IS BAD!

To try and explain. "Chuck Norris" jokes suck. They're never funny past the first one, and even that one is rather dumb.
    We've had our tit for tat over the Tick enough times that I just don't want to bother with it. No matter how long you wait, bringing it up doesn't change the fact that we've made 100 or so posts about the tick... and it's just not worth it to keep going after it.
    Last edited by Hallo; 30-05-2010 at 02:52.

Can we have an impartial judge here...

Am I really that bad at conveying my message, or is my message flawed in some way?

Thread Information