Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let me tell you about Atari.

Let me tell you about Atari.

Once upon a time, there existed a machine of epic proportions.
    The atari 2600.

This epic beast was the first of the first, and laid the foundation for all other consoles.
    Cartridges, detachable controllers, 'arcade sticks,' actual color graphics, sound, multiplayer, games with multiple screens - the 2600 pretty much invented all these things, and more.

The population looked at the 2600, and it was good. Life was easy, and things were just as easy. You played atari, or you didn't play at all.
    However, competition arrived, and many new machines entered the market. Some were good, most were bad, and so the atari, despite now being 10 years old, survived the onslaught.
    Sure, the userbase gradually shrank, but the 2600 remained. It was a monolith.

A couple more years passed.
    The atari was now extremely outdated, and ownership of atari itself had changed hands. Because the new owners had absolutely no idea how to design machines, how to sell games, or even how to run a corporation in general, it was decided that the 2600 must be inofficially discontinued, and a much improved version was to be released.

This new machine was called the atari 5200, and it was an epic disaster.
    The new atari had a couple crippling issues - first and foremost of them all being that it just didn't work.

Components used were simply not up to par. The controllers, while very innovative, and a great step forward in technology, broke constantly, and those controllers that were delivered in a working, functional state, quickly became known far and wide for having faulty joysticks, and buttons that stopped responding.
    Games released for the 5200 were of notoriously poor quality, few were being released, and atari's response to any and all criticism was to remain silent, for they were the owners of the great and awesome imperium of games, with no credible competition to be found anywhere.

Then the entire market crashed, Nintendo, SEGA, SNK, and NEC all moved in, while atari was dying slowly by its own, incompetent hands.

Sometime during the late 80's, people came to realize that there was a choice, even when there seemed to not be any.
    You didn't have to play bad games, or not play games at all. There were plenty of good machines out there, all available at an equal - or lower - price than the bad games.
    Catwalk's crusade for legalized cheating was a stunning success, with ghettos and low-tiered teams everywhere losing their wells of knowledge to better kingdoms in the process.

Step one: replace everything that works.
    Step two: blame the predictable epic fail on outside forces.
    Step three: keep the community informed that no progress has been made since the last update.
    Step four: thank you for your patience.

Fact of the matter is, whether you play Pitfall on the 2600, Sonic on the gamegear, or Mario on the N64, you'll be getting pretty much the same experience.
    The name is less important than the experience.

Graphically, they all differ, but when we get to the core of it, they're very similiar, but in a good way.
    Maybe you're more into Mario than Sonic, and maybe your grandfather can't stand either of them, because he likes pitfall Harry, but you can both relate to things, and understand the appeal of all three.
    Catwalk's crusade for legalized cheating was a stunning success, with ghettos and low-tiered teams everywhere losing their wells of knowledge to better kingdoms in the process.

Step three: keep the community informed that no progress has been made since the last update.

Thumbs up

i had both commodore, atari and amiga until 8bit nintendo arrived. Before the nintendo i had some 4-bit machine with pacman and games a like.
    Pure gamer since i took my first baby steps =).

Are you saying omac is dying VT2? LOL
    #?

#Pandas

#Simians

K L A
    Kaer Loche Alliance

Real life of Anri - Utopia addict
    http://instagram.com/henke82

I'm saying Nintendo, SEGA, and SNK successfully dethroned Atari because Atari became complacent, pretended they were the only company in the world, and stopped respecting their customers.

While the atari 2600 and 5200 both died, pitfall Harry lived on, and gave rise to his sons Sonic and Mario.
    A good game will exist even if the parent company folds.

This is why Sonic is now on the Wii.
    Coincidentally, do you know what Nintendo's codename during development was for the Wii?

No clue!
    #?

#Pandas

#Simians

K L A
    Kaer Loche Alliance

They called it Revolution.

That sounds like a great name for an up and coming gaming experience, if only there was a utopian version of such a concept.

It'd be THAT good that it'd link through facebook and all sorts.

If only...

Quote Originally Posted by VT2 View Post
    They called it Revolution.
    hahaha Expletive deleted

The one starting with a B and ending with ishop sent me a warning. I am not allowed to talk about any revolution any longer ;-).
    It can get me banned. Luckily we are talking about nintendo wii and star wars when we refer to revolution and clones.

Potty mouth = Bad.
    Last edited by Mickster; 03-06-2010 at 02:56.
    #?

#Pandas

#Simians

K L A
    Kaer Loche Alliance

The battlefields that saw SEGA consumed by the declining Nintendo gave rise to Sony and Microsoft as consolemakers.

Don't you know
    They're talkin' about a revolution
    It sounds like whisper
    Don't you know
    They're talkin' about a revolution
    It sounds like whisper

While they're standing in the welfare lines
    Crying at the doorsteps of those armies of salvation
    Wasting time in the unemployment lines
    Sitting around waiting for a promotion

Poor people gonna rise up
    And get their share
    Poor people gonna rise up
    And take what's theirs

Don't you know
    You better run...
    Oh I said you better
    Run
    run
    run...
    #?

#Pandas

#Simians

K L A
    Kaer Loche Alliance

Quote Originally Posted by Anri View Post
    hahaha ****ing great!

The one starting with a B and ending with ishop sent me a warning. I am not allowed to talk about any revolution any longer ;-).
    It can get me banned. Luckily we are talking about nintendo wii and star wars when we refer to revolution and clones.
    Yes, careless talk costs lives don't you know?

But as an aside I was searching through google the other day and I found this link, shame it doesn't work though...

http://www.utopia-devolution.com/

Do you think this was a previous attempt by someone trying to establish utopia as it's own state, with it's own seperate laws from the rest of the internet, hence the 'devolution' part of the link?

Forum Fanatic
    damn i need to hook up my 2600 again and make sure it works still. its in a box with my sega. Sega also had a Sega CD that didnt last long .quality wasnt to good as the games scratched way to easy

Monsters

Fighting the world back Proudly since Age 35

#MONSTERS

Wake up boys, there's a light at the window,
    I can hear someone knocking on the door,
    There are voices in the street,
    And the sound of running feet,
    And they whisper the word --
    "Revolution!"

There are men coming down from the valleys,
    There are tall ships lying off the coast,
    And they carry the light,
    In the dark of the night,
    Like a whisper in the wind --
    "Revolution!"

Bring my gun and a handful of silver,
    By the sea we will gather for the fight,
    It's been so many years,
    So many tears,
    We have lost once before,
    Now we'll settle the score,
    When our cannons will roar --
    "Revolution!"

Watch and Wait get ready for the sign
    There are many here among us now who have not seen the light
    We must send the word to all in the land
    Go To Every hill and county cos the
    time is now at hand and

Light Your Fire
    Light Your Fire

You'll See Tonight!!

Isn't Chris De Burgh great? One of my favourite artists.

2600's are indestructible, thanks to almost no moving parts, and an extremely high level of craftsmanship.
    Unlike the original NES, the 2600 does have actual gold connectors, so it's going to work flawlessly for thousands of years.

Enthusiast
    Once upon a time there was Apple. Apple thought it was invincible. Then it became obsolete and almost died. It had 1 heart beat left, and years later, market value exceeded Microsoft.
    Moral of the story: it ain't over until the fat lady sings

Thread Information