Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Lower kd sizes

why do you think it will be easier to find 15 players? With more kds looking for players then there are proportionally less players to select from. Its not like you suddenly get new players into the game. Also, you will have less invites - so you can still invite proportionally the same players.

This is not solving a problem no matter what way you look at it.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page |
    PM DavidC for test server access

Post Demon
    If we look at the top 50 today, I'd say that most of the kd's there have a core of decent players, which is like 10-15. The difference between the top 20 and the rest in the top 50 are that the kd's outside the top 20 have crap to fill the kd up with. If kd's were instead sized 15, most of the top 50 kd's would be more equal than before. The players forced to leave their kd's could also band together and create new kd's that could try to become more competitive.

Also, your argument is flawed, because it requires everybody to know the same people. You don't have proportionally less players to choose from, because everybody aren't talking to the same people and all kd's are not equal. Also, as we want to bring new players into the game, it makes more sense to have small kd's, as you'd need to find less players to bring in to fill up your kd. I.e. smaller kd's makes the game better suited to actually take care of eventual new players.

Also, you will have less invites - so you can still invite proportionally the same players.

^^ you forgot that part - where are these players coming from? you want to pretend they will random into a ghetto?
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page |
    PM DavidC for test server access

Post Demon
    The hard part is not inviting people, it's finding them. Finding 3 is easier than finding 6, regardless if it's from inside the game or new players. Also, the biggest change will be for the kd's I mentioned in my example, who don't really need a lot to become more competitive. They become more competitive because there's less need to be able to attract so many players. We can have the active players in 10 or 30 kd's. Which is more fun?

You're not responding to my arguments...
    Last edited by Luc; 03-08-2010 at 14:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    ...then how will you select someone to leave? You are kicking someone out of their kingdom. This is not a good idea.
    Bishop, we allways kick somebody out from the kingdoms, top, middle and ghetto. Every age. Every monarch. It is not an issue. Really it isn't.

...will not want to be the first top kd to run with 24 players...
    ...It is also possible that a kingdom will not lose a player in the timeframe you set...
    Both are false issues. Announce that next age will be the last with 25 players, and the upcoming age after the next starts with XX, all top kingdoms will resolve their own problems. They will go on with 25 until age end, sitting missing players, then they will just stop sitting. Poof! Resolved.
    And it is not possible for a kingdom not to loose players trough a full age. Didn't happened for a loooooooong time. So, again, the timeframe is a non-issue.

So you encourage people to cheat which is bad - then when they do cheat they get caught and deleted
    Isn't worse to continously encourage people to cheat in multiple ways (X-log, illegal trades) because they can't fill 25 provs?
    And what if they get deleted? Good riddance! I never encouraged cheating in my kingdom and I don't cry for the ones deleted for cheating.

All kingdoms will need to be equal also - otherwise it is not fair.
    That is a false argument again. A few are more equal than others because there are a few kingdoms with 25 players while the others have only 24 or less. ALLREADY that is the case so I don't see how you come to that conclusion. Equal number of provinces is not a requirement now, otherwise the devs would fill up all kingdoms first, when assigning new randoms or defections.

All kingdoms will need to be equal also - otherwise it is not fair. Therefore all kds must lose the same amount of players at the same time.
    That is a contradiction, because if all loose same numbers, what happens with the kingdoms with 20 players, they will loose 5 players too? (Yes, I know how you meant it, just pointing out that you didn't thought it through very well.)

If you start a new age with less players, all kingdoms will loose players until they reach the target numbers, isn't it? So, again, a non-issue.

"hey, we gotta drop a player - we picked you cos you suck the most, gl finding another kd with the rest of the rejects though <3" - i dont see how this will not cause unnecessary issues.
    Give extra credit to the ones who need to leave so they can go to another kingdom or form another kingdom. Problem with your rudeness solved, as people probably will be glad to leave, if you talk to them like that.

Reducing KD max players does not solve the problem - that we need more new players.
    True. But will solve part of cheating because you need to find and maintain the 20% less players. Will extend chart so people have more niches to occupy.

temporarily give top kds more targets - remember, top kds will be the full kds and the ghettos that get reallocated players and are now full will be fed on, hardcore.
    Well, that is not true. Less smaller fish, more bites you need from same fish. More smaller fish, less bites you need from same fish.

You cannot keep reducing the KD max players number age after age.
    Ofc not. But then we're back to the fact: 25 is an arbitrary, chosen number, is not the holy book, so it can change to fit the times. When the devs manage to get more players they can raise it back to 25.
    Last edited by WolfDGrey; 03-08-2010 at 14:17.
    Utopia has to be saved! Join #strategy!

The darkness that surrounds us cannot hurt us. It's the darkness in our own heart that we should fear!

lowering the number of players in a kd, will most likely drop the number of possible tactics you can run properly.

for example: 1 tm on 25 provs doesn't hurt your attacking capacities as much as 1/20; nightmares are best performed in large numbers; ...

Post Demon
    Quote Originally Posted by pint View Post
    lowering the number of players in a kd, will most likely drop the number of possible tactics you can run properly.

for example: 1 tm on 25 provs doesn't hurt your attacking capacities as much as 1/20; nightmares are best performed in large numbers; ...
    I'm not convinced that anything would change, as we're basically just scaling down things. If it was worth having 5 a/m's before, you'll have 4 instead. They output less damage, but that damage is worth more instead.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Luc View Post
    I'm not convinced that anything would change, as we're basically just scaling down things. If it was worth having 5 a/m's before, you'll have 4 instead. They output less damage, but that damage is worth more instead.
    No it's not worth more. It becomes much harder to disable an individual province. Pint raises a valid point.

No, he didn't.
    All it means is that you can 'disable' less provinces at any given time, since you have less players to work with.

However, since the opponent will have less provinces, too, nothing really changes.
    Catwalk's crusade for legalized cheating was a stunning success, with ghettos and low-tiered teams everywhere losing their wells of knowledge to better kingdoms in the process.

Step one: replace everything that works.
    Step two: blame the predictable epic fail on outside forces.
    Step three: keep the community informed that no progress has been made since the last update.
    Step four: thank you for your patience.

it does change if you target one prov with everything you have. then the prov won't be hurt as badly with only 20 provs then with 25.

if you go max gains, it won't make a difference, but not many kd's use max gains only as a strategy.

Why would you target someone with 'everything you have,' when 5 people are capable of destroying a single target effectively?

Actually, what the hell are you talking about?
    What does your posts have to do with this suggestion at all?
    Catwalk's crusade for legalized cheating was a stunning success, with ghettos and low-tiered teams everywhere losing their wells of knowledge to better kingdoms in the process.

Step three: keep the community informed that no progress has been made since the last update.

Post Demon
    Quote Originally Posted by pint View Post
    it does change if you target one prov with everything you have. then the prov won't be hurt as badly with only 20 provs then with 25.

if you go max gains, it won't make a difference, but not many kd's use max gains only as a strategy.
    And what you're completely ignoring is that the same thing applies for your opponent.

You'll be slower at disabling a single province, but at the same time, that single province is worth more to his kd when he's one of 20 than when he's one of 25. Everything scales down

I'm pointing out that there is a difference in tactics if you change to 20 player kd's. If you say that is not true, you have no idea what you're talking about.

I'm not really sure, but last time I checked the topic of this thread, it was about lower kd sizes. So I posted my thoughts on something that happens if you lower kd sizes. Woot, that was difficult!

What does tactics have to do with this?
    Are you saying you don't like the feeling of going up against 20~ provinces kingdoms with 20~ provinces of your own, but need 25 at all times so your 'strat' and 'tactic' can function?

Please.
    Get a clue.

I suport a 15 player kd.

A simple way to cut down kd sizes would be at eoa. Track time played for every province in every kingdom those who slack the most will be placed in a new kingdom maybe merged with players at the same activity time as ur self.

It will make the game so much more worthy to play again and actully i think it will be fun.

Thread Information