Thread: Banner Contest

Former Community Manager Thundergore's Avatar

Banner Contest

We thought we'd give those of you out there (and we know there are many of you) with TALENT a chance to make something awesome and, better yet, win something from your craft.

What do I have to do?
    - Create the best-looking banner you can muster.
    - Create a post in this Utopia Talk forum thread, including your banner (or link to your banner)

Where should I upload my image?
    In order to include your image in your forum post you will need to first upload it to an online image repository. For those who may not know how to - there are many free sites which allow you to do this, we have listed a selection below, none of which require registration, feel free to use your own favourite alternative.

- ImageShack
    - TinyPic
    - ImageChicken

Banner?
    The banner is this highlighted section of the game URL:

Think Kingdom Banner size (500x200) pixels).

How do I post my entry?
    - If you're unsure about how to convert an uploaded banner into a posted banner then simply hit 'quick reply' below, use the insert image icon on the ‘quick reply’ toolbar and copy and paste the direct url of the image you just uploaded.

What else do I need to know?
    - The contest will run from today until such time as it becomes clear that we have received the majority of the entries we will receive. We anticipate that this will be roughly 2 weeks.
    - Players can post multiple banners but can only win one prize.
    - The image must be close to the same size as the original banner (roughly 500 pixels x 200 pixels like Kingdom banners).
    - After the closing date we will select some winners.
    - There will be several tiers of in-game credit prizes for these winners. We'll decide these once we see how many entries we get.
    - NO trolling, flaming or poor behaviour of any sort. If you don't like a banner, try to keep that to yourself. If the banner OFFENDS you, report it via PM and don't go all vigilante on us.
    - Feel free to depict anyhing Utopia related. You may want to make it Kingdom specific. You may want it to double up as a signature - it's your free time and you should invest in something with multiple uses. We're Ok with that. In terms of the entries here, we'd like them to include the game's url in an unobtrusive spot [utopia-game.com]. Of course, if something is TOO specific (if it contains a list of your provinces or in-jokes for instance) it may not appeal to a broad enough range of players.
    - By entering this contest you're letting us know that you're Ok with your work being displayed. If it's REALLY awesome we may PM you and say we'd like to use it elsewhere. That's something for a later date though.

Best of luck

Former Community Manager Thundergore's Avatar
    The nature of this contest has now morphed and given way to an art appreciation society. In it gentlefolk share banners, artwork and good times.

There's still a contest element but I felt the finite limits on a contest ran 'from date X to date Y' took away from a lot of the fun that was already emerging within.

In practical terms this means that this section of the announcement needs adjusting:
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundergore View Post
    - The contest will run from today until such time as it becomes clear that we have received the majority of the entries we will receive. We anticipate that this will be roughly 2 weeks.
    - After the closing date we will select some winners.
    We will now review the thread every few weeks and see if any new entries merit recognition in the form of an award. For now there is no closing date - though it may run out of steam at some point. Even the best things do.

Please do, at any point, visit and submit entries to this fascinating thread.

Enjoy!

Thread Information