Thread: cable gate

cable gate

http://cablegate.wikileaks.org/

awe how dissapointing, my own country is only on the 18th place. I guess we're too small to be noticed.
    Corruption is a serious impediment to civil liberties.

Small with a nuclear punch.

Quote Originally Posted by Scavenger View Post
    Small with a nuclear punch.
    yeah so I hear that's in the cables. Old news really... everyone already knew those were at Volkel airbase and those are probably old too, like fifties style, means you have to fly them in, so they're pretty much worthless in today's warfare.

Personally I hope to find the cables about corruption from government officials and politicians. I mean you know they're corrupt, but the cables certainly serve to make it that more evident. I don't care about alleged corruption of Fortuyn since he's already dead, but Herben may be interesting.

Old news indeed. I remember stumbling across some documents surrounding the Threaty of Amsterdam mentioning The Netherlands as nuclear power some years ago. These were also great documents to get informed on practicly every strategically placed military unit in Europe and all hazard zones i didn't even know about.
    That's when i found out our country isn't as small a player as we may think it is.

Cable is great and very addictive. I've spend quite some time on it already and can't wait for them to speed up the uploading. I'm more interested in the way US conducts it's foreign affairs rather than individual politicians though, but if it leads to uncovering some faul play i'm all for it of course.

Wikileaks has changed domain names from .com to .ch due to the massive amount of hackers attempting to take down the wikileaks site.

its just one hacker i think - guy who calls himself th3j3st3r (supposed to be ex us military) - hes previously launched DoS attacks on sites he deems dangerous.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

Quote Originally Posted by Scavenger View Post
    Old news indeed. I remember stumbling across some documents surrounding the Threaty of Amsterdam mentioning The Netherlands as nuclear power some years ago. These were also great documents to get informed on practicly every strategically placed military unit in Europe and all hazard zones i didn't even know about.
    That's when i found out our country isn't as small a player as we may think it is.

Cable is great and very addictive. I've spend quite some time on it already and can't wait for them to speed up the uploading. I'm more interested in the way US conducts it's foreign affairs rather than individual politicians though, but if it leads to uncovering some faul play i'm all for it of course.
    Yes there is definitely some good stuff in it. I laughed when I read the cables about the Turkish president and the Italian president Silvio Berlusconi, I mean you know they're corrupt, but it's hard not to laugh as it is so embarrasing, when you notice how apparent it is. So far the U.S. diplomats conduct is actually not that bad, it's more the other way around, like the European politicians looking bad. Basically the reaction is kind of what you expect in a tough world like global diplomacy.

Quote Originally Posted by freemehul View Post
    Yes there is definitely some good stuff in it. I laughed when I read the cables about the Turkish president and the Italian president Silvio Berlusconi, I mean you know they're corrupt, but it's hard not to laugh as it is so embarrasing, when you notice how apparent it is. So far the U.S. diplomats conduct is actually not that bad, it's more the other way around, like the European politicians looking bad. Basically the reaction is kind of what you expect in a tough world like global diplomacy.
    Clinton said in her press conference about this that she apologized for the conduct of her department, and the other countries diplomats said, "Don't worry. You should hear what we say about you."

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleySoft View Post
    Clinton said in her press conference about this that she apologized for the conduct of her department, and the other countries diplomats said, "Don't worry. You should hear what we say about you."
    lol that's exactly how it is. I remember reading in the news about the U.S. diplomat appointed by Bush. He was even a bigger idiot than Bush himself. It was rather obvious that that guy had been appointed by Bush as a friendly favor, because he had supported him financially in the elections. For a diplomat he really didn't know how to behave like one. For example he opened a letter to the Dutch head of state adressed to the "king of the netherlands". That made it obvious to us all, that he was completely ignorant of the Netherlands.

Quote Originally Posted by freemehul View Post
    lol that's exactly how it is. I remember reading in the news about the U.S. diplomat appointed by Bush. He was even a bigger idiot than Bush himself. It was rather obvious that that guy had been appointed by Bush as a friendly favor, because he had supported him financially in the elections. For a diplomat he really didn't know how to behave like one. For example he opened a letter to the Dutch head of state adressed to the "king of the netherlands". That made it obvious to us all, that he was completely ignorant of the Netherlands.
    About 90% of ambassadorships are rewards for campaign support. The only ones that have real prerequisites to be ambassadors are usually the ones in crap countries like afghanistan because its a bit more touchy. If you're the ambassador for the Bahamas you were the President-Elect's best friend.

then the Netherlands must have been a touchy country, because the U.S. had a really good ambassador stationed in the Netherlands during the Clinton administration. From what I remember that diplomat even spoke Dutch and knew a lot about the Netherlands and the political situation, which was something we hadn't seen before.

Julian Assange has been arrested, I think a lot of US diplomats won't have time to celebrate Christmas at home :)

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/eu...ex.html?hpt=T1
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11937110

There are over 700 mirrors now so there's no way the US government is going to delete all of them.

Information should be free. Democracies should be the most vocal supporters of Wikileaks but the reality is different unfortunately. It's ironic that governments try to expand their capabilities when it comes wiretaps and other ways to gather information about their citizens, but when information about those same governments is disclosed you suddenly hear people say Assange should be assassinated. A lot of the secrets shouldn't have been secret in the first place. Referring to Putin and Medvedev as Batman and Robin is just unprofessional. If they had used a more neutral and professional wording they could have posted the same on the CIA World Fact Book and nobody would have been offended. A lot of of the diplomatic trouble is caused by the Americans' own lack of professionalism.
    This is my province. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    My province is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
    My province, without me, is useless. Without my province, I am useless.
    I must attack hard with my province. I must attack harder than my enemy who is trying to pk me. I must pk him before he pk's me. I will...

It won't help them, Assange made a lot of backup copies and spread those across the globe. It won't stop the cables

Thread Information