Thread: Utopian Simulator

Utopian Simulator

i am going to build an open code Utopian Simulator

http://thedragonportal.eu/simulator.html

its going to be in HTML/JaveScript and wont save/use any database

i am going to use the real exploration formula and its basically
    going to be used only for protection time only
    so people can know the exact values out of protection

the nice thing about this is that this simulator is only using one HTML page
    and people will be able to download it and use it freely (no DB saving!!!)

btw i am also making it in the old code style ^^

can you please make it spreadsheet like too? Its much pain to change details in builds in click-for-tick sims, like to see if its better using 19% banks instead of 20% at OOP you have to do everything all over again, which is really annoying, esp when making any more serious stuff..
    OLDSCHOOL

Inferno of Absalom
    The Gay

Post Demon
    Quote Originally Posted by MorbidAngel View Post
    can you please make it spreadsheet like too? Its much pain to change details in builds in click-for-tick sims, like to see if its better using 19% banks instead of 20% at OOP you have to do everything all over again, which is really annoying, esp when making any more serious stuff..
    Especially considering that he's only gonna use html and javascript, so you can't save your calcs. Everything disappears when you close your browser.

Or can we get someone competent to make one?
    S E C R E T S

Quote Originally Posted by DHaran View Post
    Or can we get someone competent to make one?
    again with the flame DHaran??? ....

you know i am not doing this for me ....

why the flame? i only started it this week

plus considering that i only on it one hour each day i think i am building it kinda fast too...
    i only did the THRONE and exploration page and half of the buildings page
    council sci and military pages i didn't even started

so you don't like it DHaran ... didn't know you don't want me to make one
    (guess now i need to say i am sorry for try to build a simulator for you guys... sad!)

by the way MorbidAngel and luc i will do that to for you guys if you really need it
    but let me finish it first ;)

put him on the ignorelist he's a flamer anyway
    Corruption is a serious impediment to civil liberties.

last week and this week i don't have any free time to work on it so it will take time to finish

but its not that hard to build at all :)

btw i am doing twice the work that needed for this simulator because i also have to
    make sure its valid html valid css check/edit the res to work on 800X600
    plus the code also have to work in one html and to be readable in the java script file
    because its going to be open code of course as always ;)

Post Demon
    Quote Originally Posted by Bijo View Post

btw i am doing twice the work that needed for this simulator because i also have to
    make sure its valid html valid css check/edit the res to work on 800X600
    Sorry to interject, but that just seems wrong to my sensibilities.

html should be for content, not layout/style so resolution shouldn't matter.

Also, css shouldn't worry too much about screen size either. Really, the css classes should be tailored to be either fixed in size if you are really picky about the looks, else it should be left to resize dynamically with content...

If you want to position (or size) things that take screen sizes into account, you should do so dynamically with Javascript (anything else is a nightmare).

Quote Originally Posted by Bijo View Post
    plus the code also have to work in one html and to be readable in the java script file
    because its going to be open code of course as always ;)
    If the application is remotely complex and its all in one html file, it won't be readable so you don't need to bother with that.

btw, if you are serious about coding well structured readable javascript, look into this ressource: http://jquery.com/
    Last edited by Magn; 09-01-2011 at 09:45.

Post Demon
    Critique and advise for Bijo... this could turn out to be a fun thread after all

Quote Originally Posted by Luc View Post
    Critique and advise for Bijo... this could turn out to be a fun thread after all
    i don't know why you think i am bad luc :P

maybe my English is poor and sometimes the stuff i am posting does not come out the way they should

but i am only making stuff for you guys to help everything because i love this game

i am playing this game from way way way back :))

i am simply saving everything i can and reviling everything i can

plus making tools that cant save nor store any data what so ever

now you can say/post what ever you like ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Magn View Post
    Sorry to interject, but that just seems wrong to my sensibilities.

html should be for content, not layout/style so resolution shouldn't matter.

Also, css shouldn't worry too much about screen size either. Really, the css classes should be tailored to be either fixed in size if you are really picky about the looks, else it should be left to resize dynamically with content...

If you want to position (or size) things that take screen sizes into account, you should do so dynamically with Javascript (anything else is a nightmare).

If the application is remotely complex and its all in one html file, it won't be readable so you don't need to bother with that.

btw, if you are serious about coding well structured readable javascript, look into this ressource: http://jquery.com/
    I think he meant markup Magn. I agree that Javascript is the way to go about it, but I'd refrain using Jquery in Bijo's case. For two reasons: (1) Jquery does come with complications of its own, (2) using that big a javascript file is a bit bulk for such a small file and it does consume bandwidth.

You normally use Jquery if there is more than one person working on the same page, for reasons of consistency in the code, or if you're lazy in use of complicated but commonly used snippets of javascript. But as far as I know Bijo is the only person working on it.
    Last edited by freemehul; 13-01-2011 at 10:29.
    Corruption is a serious impediment to civil liberties.

Post Demon
    Quote Originally Posted by freemehul View Post
    I think he meant markup Magn.
    And I don't understand why you'd have to duplicate it for different screen sizes.

Seems a waste of human effort imo, that could be avoided by following sound practices.

For two reasons: (1) Jquery does come with complications of its own,
    Such as?

I'm coding a significant amount of client side code with it (over 3000 thousands line of javascript at the time of this writing and going up) and I've encountered one minor bug so far that was rectified by updating to a more recent version.

I find it remarkably stable.

(2) using that big a javascript file is a bit bulk for such a small file and it does consume bandwidth.
    Well, first of all, his code is only client-side (not server) so bandwidth is not really an issue at all.

By default, browsers cache content so the library is not downloaded with every request anyways.

You normally use Jquery if there is more than one person working on the same page, for reasons of consistency in the code, or if you're lazy in use of complicated but commonly used snippets of javascript. But as far as I know Bijo is the only person working on it.
    Actually, managing javascript over several different browsers ain't fun.

Also, the library comes with a lot of basic convenience utilities that greatly speed up development time (it was very well thought of, I'm impressed with the amount of consideration that went into its design).

And finally, the fact that you can extent it to code your own customization makes it easier to code well structured code. Ideal for building reusable, flexible widgets.

Given the complexity of what I'm coding (rich dynamic client-side GUI extending over a large application), its a huge time saver.
    Last edited by Magn; 13-01-2011 at 11:39.

ok guys a little update ^^

THRONE, buildings system (including raze and in progress) & exploration system are all done!

i still have to do: council, Sciences, military, Mystics & also maybe the stance

Thread Information