Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Remove extra gains from pool

Postaholic
    Then I say it again, with a tweak, thank goodness it's not 'new' land...:
    Clearly state in BOTH papers the pool gains/losses and DON'T put them in the attack report, but award them at the end of war and place them into the explore pool, rather than adding to existing land ownership.
    Seems like a good way to say who "won".

my post had 2 reasons, confusion being just one!
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

Post Fiend
    I wouldnt mind getting rid of the extra gains. not so much confusion, but a kingdom will drag a war out they are clearly losing, because it can have some provinces grow with max grabbing. Also getting rid of it will change some of the aspects of war, where chaining will be more important to do as you will not get as many acres from max grabbing. I like it.

I know this is an older thread, but it applies to the war we just ended.

I am a noob (I guess) because I did not understand this and it did bite me in the butt this last war. I thought we were gaining ground when we were actually staying even. I'm about 1.5 Ages into this game and the lack of clarity on different things is both interesting and infuriating. I am intently interested in the game mechanics and I am doing my best to learn them all, but this is something I am just now learning after reading about and playing the game everyday for 5 months.

Essentially I guess I just agree that its confusing and it makes it difficult to easily identify who is winning the land war. I play with a wide range of experienced and brand new players and out of 40 (20 in each kingdom involved in the war) only one knew this fact and I researched it to find this thread.

Just my 2 cents, obviously I'm no expert.

vindication.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|

If only 1 out of 40 knew about the pool gains, then it is indeed sad :( Especially if a lot of them are vets...

pool gains serve no purpose :p

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    pool gains serve no purpose :p
    They do serve a purpose. They are an incentive to war (take the other KD's pool, for free), and they add new land to the game that would otherwise stay in the explore pool forever.

Quote Originally Posted by ata View Post
    They do serve a purpose. They are an incentive to war (take the other KD's pool, for free), and they add new land to the game that would otherwise stay in the explore pool forever.
    A point that I've made in the past. But is it worth the confusion? I like Palem's idea of adding to a pool to be distributed equally to provinces after the war is over.
    Last edited by Ordray; 20-10-2011 at 22:09.

Veteran
    The pool gains bring a lot of acres onto the server that otherwise we'll never see. This allows warring kingdoms to outgrow the total ghettos even when warring similarly matched opponents.

Perhaps instead of the land going to provs with each hit, let that land be tallied up then at the end of war be given to each province. For example if your kd wars and grabs 5000 pool acres, at the end of war (win, mp, or withdraw) each prov would get 200 acres.

Yes, ^ that ^

Veteran
    This is a great suggestion that's easily implemented.. pool gains gives yet another incentive to sit oow and pump and use those acres. This would be one step closer to a war oriented top level game

Forum Fanatic
    yes. let the pool land be distributed after war as honor is suppose to be done.

Monsters

Fighting the world back Proudly since Age 35

#MONSTERS

Postaholic
    Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    I've already had this exact discussion before. I'm ok with the suggestion. I'm not alright with basing the suggestion on "It confuses new/ghetto players"

I wouldn't expect a new player to tell me about how raze works at various times and such, but you can't learn if you don't ask and just because a bunch of players refuse to ask how a game mechanic that actively confuses them in nearly each and every war works isn't strong enough alone to base a suggestion on.
    I run a fairly decent kd and still the pool gains confuses the heck out of me. Not so much about why I can seemingly be gaining 15k in acres and they're also gaining 2k... but confusing as to why the hell that's possible in the first place.

Pool gains serves no purpose other than the fact that it limits post-war exploring afterwards. Which isn't such a bad thing really.

That's why I like the idea of removing them from the attacks themselves and placing them into a pool to be distributed after the war. It's not highly abusable because it works in the same basic way as our current system, it just defers the reception. Actually, this would generate fewer acres because the explore pool gains wouldn't go to the provinces and increase the base that could be taken from by 1/11 and so you wouldn't have higher explore pool gains from the expanded base.

Thread Information