Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Halflings

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Veteran

Halflings

Only 3.8% of the server, compared to Human's 27%. Overreaction to people hating on humans? Is anyone playing a halfling they want to make some predictions about?

an excellent age to get on three individual province charts.

Post Demon
    Quote Originally Posted by Andurilas View Post
    Only 3.8% of the server, compared to Human's 27%. Overreaction to people hating on humans? Is anyone playing a halfling they want to make some predictions about?
    It's probably because halflings are garbage

The 5 NW elite that is only 4/4 basically makes you run an army with no more than 40% elites in order to stay NW-competitive if you plan to attack at all. And quite frankly, if you're going to run as mostly a thief... faery/rogue has more room for raw wpa/tpa if you want to keep the same defensive #s

Post Demon
    Quote Originally Posted by Robertz View Post
    The 5 NW elite that is only 4/4 basically makes you run an army with no more than 40% elites in order to stay NW-competitive if you plan to attack at all. And quite frankly, if you're going to run as mostly a thief... faery/rogue has more room for raw wpa/tpa if you want to keep the same defensive #s
    while also having higher mtpa

Enthusiast
    And all spells, and faery.

Veteran
    I don't disagree. I normally love Halfling but this age I would not consider it for thief role.

Halfling Bank ftw. :P

Forum Fanatic
    Because people in the game are mostly followers, and are told Halfling sucks, so naturally most people do what they're told.

Halfling does kind of suck though. I wouldn't use it in my dream setup for any goal.

Human has pretty ****ty nw-efficiency and it's still a popular pick. Elf has ****ty nw-efficiency and was (and is) a great province for military purposes.
    All the nw on Brutes means is that Halfling nw is rational next to Elf/Human elites, rather than overly strong for their value. Even when Halfer had 4/4 4nw units though, what made them good or bad wasn't their nw, but their traits relative to other races and the traits of their preferred personalities. Last time Halfer was set up like this, their preferred personality was much weaker, whereas now Rogue mTPA bonuses are stronger than Faery's natural +30% if they're built the way a Rogue should be built. Sure, Fae/Rogue gets that +30% mTPA on top of everything else, but Fae/Rogue is terrible at hitting anything. The other preferred personalities for Halfer last time they had this military/population were stuff like War Hero, for which there were (and still are) superior choices.

I wouldn't want a Halfling unless I wanted them as a big Rogue, for the most part. I could see a smaller Half/Rogue work, but it's a tough sell, and they have to be more military-focused rather than thief-focused. The tradeoff is... well, we all know what happens to Faeries that keep getting broken, especially ones that aren't land dropped, and it's not pretty.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    I like that you spent the first line ****ting on utopians for thinking Halfings are bad, then you spent the next 10 lines explaining that halfling is bad and should generally be avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    I like that you spent the first line ****ting on utopians for thinking Halfings are bad, then you spent the next 10 lines explaining that halfling is bad and should generally be avoided.
    he complains that nobody thinks for themselves, somebody has to educate an average noob tho...
    - zilyana -
    - Future Owner of the coveted Nubhat -
    - Screw-Up Extroadinaire -

Forum Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    I don't **** on people for thinking Halfer is bad (because it is pretty bad), I'm explaining why people won't pick it and overrate its' badness.

It's kind of funny that when Halfling was terrible, it had a lot of people singing its' praises, and so many players fell into Halfling traps.

Halfling got good the moment Rogue got buffed, buffed again, and now got a sideways buff by swapping cheap thieves for double dens. idk why people loved the old Halfer/WarHero so much, it was pretty crap.

Strategy Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by noobium View Post
    It's kind of funny that when Halfling was terrible, it had a lot of people singing its' praises, and so many players fell into Halfling traps.
    Except that relatively speaking it wasn't that bad over the recent era of utopia. You were given a race with comparable def/nw to the other t/m's then given a tpa bonus, extra strong solds and either a population or building space bonus. W/that kind of combination they still weren't the best but fit into unique rolls like supertheif, bank, quick ub hitter (w/solds) w/good econ.....

Now however their nw inefficiency and lack of tpa bonus means that their they dont do the job of 'supertheif" as well as either feary or elf. Nor are they able to "bank" as well a human by trying to go merchant as they lack the military to compete even if fully trained. So trying to take a bad t/m and turn it into a bad bank mid war or hoping that a liability can get aided solds to become usefull just is to hard to fit into your kd setup.

Its the same reason my kd rarely runs dwarfs, people haven't figured out how to use them in a setup. Typically it'd just take 1 good kd to really use them (meta shift?!?) for more people to want them in their kds. But with such a small player base most are just willing to wait until they become "obviously" stronger to include them in your setup.

Veteran
    noobiums gonna noobium

Enthusiast
    actually very similar to age 59 except for losing the +50tpa but in return you have no negative birth rate and 5% more pop great trade offs if playing ghetto calf or cow ... if people can't be successful at calf or cow this age it's because your inactive. oh age 59 calf or cow call it as you wish we were able to reach out and grab all in the top

Thread Information