Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Faery Attacker Thief

Regular

Faery Attacker Thief

Anyone think this will be as good as I think it will be, or, at least, as fun? I was thinking of Faery Rogue because I am viewing Faery's magic strength as a defensive boost and economic boost. In short, a faery can run .67 WPA raw (1 WPA mod without science) and still get excellent protection from mages using

Mystic Aura, Magic Shield, Reflect Magic (~ 33% failure rate guaranteed overall)

So, use faeries that run a bunch of self spells permanently and then ToG for an economic boost, while running high TD's and thieves to support their economy further while leaning on enemy economies.

Theoretical build:

30% homes
    5% farms
    10% Towers
    10% Guilds
    10% stables + dungeons
    15% TD's
    10% forts
    10% TG's

Running this yields: 24.66 PPA

Assume 0.67 WPA (1 mod)
    7 EPA
    3 TPA (+63% from the TD's above due to Rogue and BE) --> 4.89 mod
    5 O spec
    9 peasants
    89% BE

This assume no science. 64% non-peasant pop

DPA raw: 49
    OPA raw: 30 (O specs only)
    Income: 24.75 per acre

With 107% ME due to payrate, Greater protection, fanaticism, forts, TG's

121% Def ME
    127% Off ME

DPA (Elites): 59.3
    OPA (All Gens + Ospecs): 44

This military is good enough to be a minor attacker and not get stomped. Furthermore, replacing the army is cheap. Better yet, you get Fog and Quickfeet so there is a 5 hr difference in time between you and most attackers. Also, as a rogue we get +2 stealth and have very few thief losses and sufficient TPA to break attackers and take their gold, runes, foods, peasants, etc. Also, chastity is a nasty spells that we can keep up 24/7.

So, in short, toss in some science, and the faery can be a genuinely solid Attacker Thief, with a dispensable attacking army, and a VERY robust economy due to excellent self spells, thievery, ToG.

Anyone else agree?

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    "Faery Attacker"

I stopped there and decided it was not worth it.

Post Fiend
    They are not the best, but will be fun to play anyways especially in ghetto wars. I would recommend using NS on the target you want to attack. If you can get 3-4 of your kingdom mates to work with you in a similar setup you will not need much offense to break the target in war or hostile.

Director of Age Changes
    Actually, you will get stomped. Meteor Showers and 0% hospitals will om nom nom your 1k gc elites within hours, and then you will get double tapped into uselessness by any decent attacker.
    I can't believe people are even considering this...
    Last edited by Avenger; 25-03-2011 at 23:39.

Lol nom nom nom. Undeads will double tap that before the leets go bye bye from ms and attacks and cast nm and chas to drive your economy down.

Postaholic
    Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    "Faery Attacker"

I stopped there and decided it was not worth it.
    I'm sorry guy, but unless you have a hell of a strategy, that's suicide and Palem's right... My suggestion is don't.

Post Fiend
    More important than how bad faeries are as an attacker is that you're throwing away their magic bonus. You're using it to save... a third of a person per acre? That's just awful. Also, 5 mod TPA is barely good for an attacker who just wants intel and some defense against thieves. You should be at 12+ mod TPA, which with 50% science on top of your TD will require 5 raw TPA, and at that you'll still fail a fair amount against people with 5 mod just for defense.
    Further, you have 60 DPA, which is only barely more than most attacker hybrids have, and you only have 45 OPA? You're only going to be able to break the classic 90/40 split attacker hybrids, and they'll double tap you in return.

There might be a good hybrid build that lets a faery be an attacker, but this is NOT it.

I've got 5 mod TPA on my human/sage attacker province this age, and I've got 120/50 opa/dpa. As it is, my province would eat your fae w/ a double tap, and after about two cycles of that I'd be making triple taps, and you'd still not be able to break me.
    Retired at one time but no longer retired.

Quite honestly, The moment I saw fae, I looked it over, Thought it over and looked it over again, Its not a attacker, It's a T/M role.

But like someone said, There might be a build that MIGHT work in fae's favor to be a decent attacker but I think its more likely(to keep things realistic) that someone might shut a car door on their hand(watch your hands people) before it gets worked out and posted before the start of the age.

Regular
    Did nobody seem to notice that I was NOT counting science? If science were assumed, it would be a lot better.

Post Fiend
    Did nobody seem to notice that I was NOT counting science?
    Haha I don't think it matters :) Unless they bring military effectiveness into science and you pump it to 150% :)

Postaholic
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayani View Post
    Haha I don't think it matters :) Unless they bring military effectiveness into science and you pump it to 150% :)
    I want that perk!

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarok22788 View Post
    Did nobody seem to notice that I was NOT counting science? If science were assumed, it would be a lot better.
    I noticed, and commented that to get a decent thief coverage you'd need to be running 2 more raw TPA. Ultimately this is a terrible idea because a) you're throwing away the best advantage a faery has for at most a HALF PERSON PER ACRE, b) at 10% guilds, their second best advantage (or best, depending on how you look at it) is going to be pretty mediocre too, since durations and effects will be low, c) your theoretical numbers of 60 DPA and 45 OPA stop no one and break no one, d) your proposed thieves with 100% science are still awful (9 TPA).

Ultimately the numbers just aren't there for you. They'll get a little better with science, but the only thing you're getting from faery relative to some other race, is +1 stealth per tick. Go Halfling, get 16% more population, 40% more thievery effectiveness, and Brutes. It'll just be vastly better.

Regular
    The numbers I'm getting with:

10% pop sci
    15% alch
    15% BE
    50% food
    75% thievery and magic

are

19 gc/acre net (assuming 40% of ToG's succeed every other day with an average payoff of 50%)
    70 OPA (only O specs)
    63 DPA (only elites)
    9.5 mod TPA
    2.67 mod WPA

for faery Rogue

if I do the same for a Human rogue, I get

17 gc/acre net
    88 OPA (100% elites)
    57 DPA (100% d specs)
    2.67 mod WPA
    8.5 mod TPA

The faery gets about .42 OpNW and .38 DpNW

The difference is that the faery can also run clearsight, fog, quickfeet, reflect magic, mystic aura and animate dead. At the same time, he can run chastity 24/7 and toss on MS as well (lots of failures, but fine if you are focusing one target and simply using MS and chastity with the rest going to self spells). I don't see how faery is weak. The spellbook is too good to pass up.
    Last edited by Ragnarok22788; 27-03-2011 at 00:37. Reason: details

Forum Fanatic
    A province that cant retal or attack is always in danger of being taken out. a hard massacre chain would open it up. for that matter a good Halfer running assassinate wizards would basically negate the fairy from the war also.
    The spell book is good if your actually able to cast spells

Monsters

Fighting the world back Proudly since Age 35

#MONSTERS

Thread Information