Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Faery Attacker Thief

It's not the strongest attacker out there, but that looks to be a decent a/M.
    Retired at one time but no longer retired.

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Ordray View Post
    It's not the strongest attacker out there, but that looks to be a decent a/M.

haha since the name of the thread is * Faery Attacker Thief

Quote Originally Posted by justhoop View Post
    haha since the name of the thread is * Faery Attacker Thief
    Haha, since the post before mine was about an a/M build for a Faery/Sage.
    Retired at one time but no longer retired.

Regular
    I know, its just i love how off topic all threads get. Well i know its still kinda on topic, but the OP doesnt really get as much information as someone asking about an a/m strat for example :P

i could make a new thread I suppose, but I don't have time now sigh...

Post Fiend
    not a single comment in this thread has hit the real issue with fae attackers. static defense. when an avian has all his leets home, he's gonna be rocking a good 60 dpa on base population with no mods included. after pumping and such, that number could be close to 80. while this is nothing special, it makes opponents send most of their offense to break you. with a fae, if you want to punish people for attacking you, you need 10 epa on defense. and IF you send out your inferior attacking elite, you're just eroding your own defense AND offense at the same time while opening yourself up for the usual retals. and at 1k a pop, you don't want to have to retrain those elites.

Quote Originally Posted by vlaM View Post
    not a single comment in this thread has hit the real issue with fae attackers. static defense. when an avian has all his leets home, he's gonna be rocking a good 60 dpa on base population with no mods included. after pumping and such, that number could be close to 80. while this is nothing special, it makes opponents send most of their offense to break you. with a fae, if you want to punish people for attacking you, you need 10 epa on defense. and IF you send out your inferior attacking elite, you're just eroding your own defense AND offense at the same time while opening yourself up for the usual retals. and at 1k a pop, you don't want to have to retrain those elites.
    the real issues is fae attacker itself though....

Post Fiend
    Unless you are running Faery Sage with maximizing enough rune for both self spells and offensive spells during war (I am sure it's about 20% Tower needed), I would advise against it. However, a decently played Faery Sage A/M can out do an Elf province...
    Crossed over to the Dark Side, is this what I have always wanted?

ya that's why sage is the only option (the extra runes you get going from 60% channeling to 100+ is pretty important)
    but the static defense is a big problem, and probably clinched me not doing it. The high nw of the elites making them extremely inneficient o/nw really hurts that. If you think in /acre terms it isn't that bad but when you consider 4 offense points for 7 nw instead of 5 for 4 nw it is a bit of a kick in the pants

Loco I thought about it too and I agree with you. But you are forgetting something. Elites are 4/7 and defense specs are 0/5. You need less elites to cover decent defense = more offense specs = less NW from your elites. I might be sadly mistaken but I don't think you will need to run the same amount of elites an Undead has on Offense for a Faery as defense.
    Your not suiciding if you leave 50 dpa at home. With FoG, TW, Greater Protection, Animate Dead and maybe War Spoils if needed this could slow their supposed "slaying of a Faery" a lot.
    Isn't usually the best A/t, A/m or the highest opa the chain target? All depends on the situation.

Do you think a Faery is more of a threat then the best attacker or the best halfling for that matters? I think people are gladly exaggerating when they say Faeries suck.

So an Undead vs a Faery what would that do?
    Undead hits fog for sure if you got the activity to keep it up and sacrifice some sleep.
    Undead gets MS, FB's and Chastity.
    Faery uses QF. War Spoils if needed.
    Faery uses ToG to keep training def if needed.
    Credits for offense.
    Faery Ambushes hits on him and kills a few leets off which have to be retrained also.
    Faery LL some acres from some other fat province to recover if he gets into problems.
    Faery can steal runes or ask them on aid request. In an active KD there are always runes.
    You can stock up 200k runes before war.

Everything depends on the situation, the type of player, your activity and the strategy you are fighting each situation with.
    If they hit your Faery it will be just as bad as if they hit your Halfling in the KD.
    Both of them will suffer on hits and be multi tapped eventually.

I see Faeries as the new DE's. Faeries have full spellbook and magic effectiveness increased as DE's had no runes needed last age. Were DE's that bad? We had 3 DE's in our KD and they did great and looking afterwards they didn't suck that much as most of us expected. Besides they were a great addition to funding dragons. As important as it is to attack, having a good economy is also important. Faeries recover fast so they won't be a burden to the KD when chained down.

They are very flexible and saying you will destroy a Faery is a bit overrated as you could destroy a Halfling with the same effort.
    If you don't go overkill on your sci and save some which you dont spend in wars till you eventually grow bigger might help save some nwpa.
    I think races are pretty balanced and yes one has more offense then the other but in our wars most of our wins were based on killing enemies economy.
    Last edited by cronoz; 01-04-2011 at 17:15.

The reason our builds are for Faerie A/T's with low wpa isn't to take advantage of the +50% magic effectiveness to save population. Running a Faerie A/M is definitely not as effective as other A/M's because of all the mana you need to waste on self-spells. To run a decent faery hybrid, you'll need to keep up Fog, GP, Inspire Army, Patriotism, Town Watch, 24/7, not even including Mystic Aura, Reflect Magic, Love and Peace, and NB. Not to mention every time you attack/get hit you'll need to cast QF, Animate Dead, and possibly War Spoils. If you consider how much mana this takes, there's hardly any room to be casting MS, let alone FB.

And yes, my build uses a small fraction of elites for offense and the cleric -50% losses bonus in order to address the static defense issue.

Ya I understand the lack of mana available for fireballs, but fireballs are all elves are good for so I wouldn't have my faery do that. The faery would be there to spread MS around and hopefully get attacked and trap people in fog and screw up their uniques. I am not sure you need Patriotism and town watch 24/7, and some others would be up to some discretion based on needs for MS or NM on targets and your level of mana.
    I agree that if you are using some elites for offense you need to go cleric, also makes animate dead a little less necessary since you will have some free soldiers already.
    One day I will analyze how much mana you would need for the self spells, but not right now

why pick faery if you arent going to use your wpa offensively?
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

I would rather just sacrifice wpa used for blanketing MS, since that would use up too much runes and mana for self spells. Using the extra pop to train as thieves so you an actually have some decent success NS'ing is more efficient.

If you go Faery you should use the full spellbook and not go A/t imo. Faery doesnīt need reflect magic, mystic aura is a permanent spell till first succesfull cast, cast NB for what? cast Love and Peace only when you need it. There is a lot to do with your mana and self spells have such a low fail rate that you shouldnīt have to waste that much mana on it.
    You need

- greater protection
    - FL
    - Clear Sight
    - Inspire Army
    - Fog
    - Patriotism
    - Mages Fury
    - Quick Feet
    - Animate Dead

- Town Watch optional
    - Love and Peace optional
    - War Spoils optional

Should leave enough room to keep pitfalls, greed and chastity up with some occasional FBīs.
    I think itīs at least better then an elf and a warring KD does benefit if able to cast MS on most provinces.

Thread Information