Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Faery Attacker Thief

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    why pick faery if you arent going to use your wpa offensively?
    You can use them offensively:

Town watch + love & peace + animate dead + Fog + greater protection = Solid defence against attacker. You then ambush + trad march on those who attack you with pitfall, aggression, quickfeet, warspoil, fanaticism, bloodlust

Magic shield + Mystic aura + reflect magic = strong defence against Elf and undead spellbooks. Even if they managed to get through to you (highly impossible due to your high WPA), you can use Mage fury (on yourself) + Mystic vortex (on the navie province who cast spell on you) first before leashing mystic hell on them. Not to mention using shadow light + clear sight + expose thieve +invisibility to foster your thievery offense and defense on both these non-thievery races (unless you are against undead rogue).

Clear sight +10% WT and 10% Td will definitely helps against halfing kds during war.

So it voices down to what strategy u deploy and shape your province before war.
    Crossed over to the Dark Side, is this what I have always wanted?

you are using an entire bonus section + your military to equal what other races have in just their military though - doesnt seem efficient to me.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

you are using an entire bonus section + your military to equal what other races have in just their military though - doesnt seem efficient to me.
    Also to cast all those spells you will need 30%+ towers just keep your army at home and use those runes to help the rest of the kingdom being a TM.

faeries are not nw inflated at all, i dont see why you would say they are.
    If they were trying to be an attacker race they would be. The off specs needed to be able to break someone vs having a good tpa and wpa. I mean at 1000 acres and want 60 opa raw that's 12K off specs and 48K nw. A human would need 7500 leets and that's 48750 nw. For 40 dpa you need 5555 faery leets worth 40K and 8K def specs as humans worth the same amount. 17555 units as faery vs 15500 units as a human. How does a faery get 2K more units? Either 25% homes (actually more to make up 10% inital pop defeceit) or impressive science. Science inflates nw and a human could use that land faery needs to dedicate to homes to get TG and forts and be able to use less units for less nw.

Faery inflated if used as an attacker

Post Demon
    The Human's army has 750 more NW that the Faery in your description - no NW inflation there. Your comment about 2k extra units (if you have no ME mods) reflects bad *space efficiency*, which is a real problem. However, your defense is very space efficient (best in game), so your combined space efficiency is low, but not hugely problematic. ToG can turbo your econ oow quite well, so just letting BE sink a bit more is a valid plan to get those last few troops.

The space problem will prevent a Faery attacker from putting out 100/50 opa/dpa. On the flip side, no-one has an easier time doing 40/70 opa/dpa... but that isn't an attacker. But settling for 60/50 or 70/40 should be fine - you've got Fog.
    it's vs. its is ambiguous - from now on I'm attempting to use the proper possessive it's, and the contraction 'tis. (Its will just be the plural.)

Think Different

Post Fiend
    The thing about the defensive space efficiency is that you want less defense, thus their efficiency is worth a lot less. And 8:5 is more than 7:5, so they're behind twice, first because you don't get to leverage defensive space efficiency as much, and second because their space efficiency is less than the efficiency of attackers.
    Add that in to their -10% population, and you have a serious problem if you try to be an attacker.

Did you not read how needing 2K extra units causing inflation? Space is the first problem but to get that extra unit space you need to get more sciences that inflates your province and on the other hand a human that does not need to use 25% homes can use that land to have TG and forts to use LESS units (lower nw) to have the same offense and defense as above posted.

Quote Originally Posted by E Jade View Post
    If they were trying to be an attacker race they would be. The off specs needed to be able to break someone vs having a good tpa and wpa. I mean at 1000 acres and want 60 opa raw that's 12K off specs and 48K nw. A human would need 7500 leets and that's 48750 nw. For 40 dpa you need 5555 faery leets worth 40K and 8K def specs as humans worth the same amount. 17555 units as faery vs 15500 units as a human. How does a faery get 2K more units? Either 25% homes (actually more to make up 10% inital pop defeceit) or impressive science. Science inflates nw and a human could use that land faery needs to dedicate to homes to get TG and forts and be able to use less units for less nw.

Faery inflated if used as an attacker
    You are using the wrong terms. Science doesnt inflate networth (i.e it doesn't exaggerate it). Both human and faeries armies have pretty much the same nw efficiency.

8 offense for 6.5 = 1.23 offense per nw
    5 defense for 5 = 1 def per nw

5 offense for 4 nw = 1.25 offense per nw
    7 defense for 7 nw = 1 def per nw

as you can clearly see faeries are not networth inefficient. As Ethan pointed out the term you are looking for is space efficiency. Having to use extra troops to get the same number is not a networth efficiency problem.

Consider it from the other side.

A province wants 100 dpa raw. A faery requires 14285 troops at 100000 networth. A human requires 20000 at 100000 networth. This does not mean the human is networth inefficient, merely that his space efficiency isn't as good as the faeries.

Finally, if science increases your networth simply because you get more pop and a bigger army this is a good thing, not a bad thing. Having high nwpa because you have a badass army is not detrimental.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|

Post Fiend
    Ask yourself these questions:
    How hard is it for a Faery Sage to get back the initial -10% pop through science? How difficult will Faery Sage get +10% to both pop and BE? Will a Faery Sage have higher pop than an undead Tact or any other non-sage attacker race at mid age?
    Crossed over to the Dark Side, is this what I have always wanted?

that means any sage will be better than a faery sage at atatcking - personalities shouldn't come into it.

Post Fiend
    "Will a Faery Sage have higher pop than an undead Tact or any other non-sage attacker race at mid age?"

no, they won't.

vLaM you have been proven wrong it seems :)

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    I bet a large amount of Human Merch's have more pop science than Faery Sages.

Post Demon
    Knowledge Per Acre Effect
    Alchemy 270.116 +35.2% Income
    Tools 275.877 +25.4% Building Effectiveness
    Housing 445.627 +21.0% Population Limits
    Food 47.598 +84.5% Food Production
    Military 180.167 +28.8% Gains in Combat
    Crime 166.694 +118.6% Thievery Effectiveness
    Channeling 166.695 +118.6% Magic Effectiveness & Rune Production

If you measure by sci *effect* (even discounting my higher than normal libs)...
    Not higher than this Faery Sage!

I am feeling like A/t or A/t/m isn't working as well as I'd like though, and was trying to shift towards an A/m or A/M role. I'm kinda part way there already, seeing as I'm now putting out 5-6 mod wpa - that's enough to do some mean things to attackers that aren't keeping wpa high enough. An FB runner it won't ever be though... I guess A/t/m is the spot for me. (What else do you do with 8-10 mod tpa and low dens?)
    it's vs. its is ambiguous - from now on I'm attempting to use the proper possessive it's, and the contraction 'tis. (Its will just be the plural.)

Think Different

Post Demon
    You have tried too much Ethan.
    No offense but faery attacker/anything is pretty wastefull. I mean if you wanna try it out for fun sure ... go ahead. But it will allways underachieve.
    This game is all about offense and any hybrid that gimps his offense is a wasted spot. Faries are doomed to have low off with their specs and there is nothing you can do about it.

Thread Information