Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Faery T/M: Rogue or Sage

Faery T/M: Rogue or Sage

Not playing this age, but I'm curious...

Sage gives more mod TPA/WPA and economy, but less honor stealth and more thievery losses.

Any ideas on what's better?

I assume Rogue is better for a good kd, while for ghettos it's Sage?

Regular
    You dont particularly wanna be a T/M in a ghetto. T/M are very boring unless youre warring a lot. But i would go with rouge now that they have the TD twice as effective. You can be running 22% TD and minimising losses by like 95% :D

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    imo, rogue

Post Fiend
    I would play Sage if I was going to be a M/t, and Rogue if I wanted to be a capital T (and I'd be less of a mage then). If I were to try and balance... uh, probably rogue for access to the ops?

Post Fiend
    For a T/M you want rogue. 24 more stealth a day and double effectiveness of TDs. Rogues have always been the best T/M until only mystics got MS. Since faeries now have MS rogue is the way to go to get access to the +1 stealth and double TDs. A pumped sage will be easier to play, but if you want to maximize your damage go rogue.

Rogue, for reasons stated above.
    Retired at one time but no longer retired.

Rogue

Quote Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
    For a T/M you want rogue. 24 more stealth a day and double effectiveness of TDs. Rogues have always been the best T/M until only mystics got MS. Since faeries now have MS rogue is the way to go to get access to the +1 stealth and double TDs. A pumped sage will be easier to play, but if you want to maximize your damage go rogue.
    Yea, that was my reasoning too. Thanks for your answers guys. I hope they don't change Faeries and Rogue too much next age, I might give it a spin if I play.

Thief losses don't matter much I think, since you don't spend money on much else as Faery in war anyway. (unless you get chained to death... well that would probably happen a lot xD)
    Last edited by Tantrums; 03-04-2011 at 13:18.

You will spend money on other things, trust me.
    1.) Dragons
    2.) Aid
    Retired at one time but no longer retired.

All the rogue lovers here? ToG + Fountain of Knowledge, being able to keep a low draft and still have great defense, increased income this age.... Faery/sage will be doing much heavier ops and be a much more dynamic province for essentially the whole age. Faery/rogue is forced to choose to focus on magic or thievery (although the +50% wpa helps, don't get me wrong!). Whereas a sage is going to have 150% in crime/channeling and probably be able to land riots and meteor showers on your rogue by mid age.

Maybe it's just me. But sage is a hugely under-picked personality this age. Rushed sci is going to be pretty easy to maintain with the extra peasant income.

At the end of the day, sage just makes it MUCH MUCH easier to acquire science.
    The question you have to ask is "How much science can I acquire without sage" and plan accordingly.

Also:
    -1 for honour whoring!
    Just say "yes" and I'll go away.

Mystic lost its charme?

Sage is about making a prov stronger in just about every area, especially ops - you trade a little early age presence for late age presence. A well-pumped sage will have easily 1.5-2x as much science as a non-sage, or more. They will also have 125% gains from that increased sci. It's the snowball effect, folks. You dump heavy into income and housing/tools, and higher research rates just fall into your lap. Then before you know it, you have 20% pop, 40% income, 150% crime.... 30% gains. Whatever you want to focus on, those areas become very strong.

Sage is better then rogue imo. Sure you get more stealth perday but you might need that extra stealth to get past ppls defenses because you have a lower tpa then a faery sage.

Post Demon
    Depends on kingdom role. For all that we mock the "breaker" attacker (or "supermage") idea (cause it's always proposed by a noob not understanding raw OPA means little in war if you can't pay the troops, or are otherwise dead) - a highly organized kingdom does need a designated breaker or two of each type to get things going. Especially with Faery, if you are the breaker mage designated to MV/MS *anyone* and NM the thief target to allow the AW... you have to be sage. Nothing else gives a WPA mod, and so Faery sage is really the only choice. If, however, you are specifically aiming to be a maximum damage output T/M, with the understanding that there will be provs you can't op in one of the two categories... rogue gives more NS, and allows AW.

Since a less organized (aka, not SK) kingdom isn't going to need someone with 20 mod wpa, rogue looks nice. Though sage can give great econ - so if econ matters more than damage, that can tip it back. (Aka, lots of dragons, or semi-bank, etc.)

Sage lets you switch to attacker as well - Rogue you are really playing against your bonuses if you aren't a "capital" T, leaving little room for attacking ability.
    it's vs. its is ambiguous - from now on I'm attempting to use the proper possessive it's, and the contraction 'tis. (Its will just be the plural.)

Think Different

Thread Information