Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chastity

Post Fiend

Chastity

So what's up with chastity? I seem to remember a dev/mod mentioning that there was a cap on it for 4 or 5 hours, with most spells hitting 2-3 days. Am I wrong, or did these numbers get changed? or messed up?

Been in war, and the other kd had gotten it on me for 9-10 days.. If this is how its supposed to be, this spell is WAY overpowered... :/

you are being opped by mystics?
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

I'd think that there aren't any real caps on spell duration, just severe limitations that place "imposed caps".

Chastity was originally designed as an a/T spell. Basically, gnomes weren't expected to be mystic and run 20% Guilds*, and those who DID run those numbers weren't expected to have high WPAs.

So after Faery gets the spell, has this massive WPA, chooses mystic to get the +30% Duration... the "imposed caps" break down.

The point is there probably isn't a "duration = min(3,duration)", but a single formula that uses a modifier to make the caps.
    The formula is likely a bit exponential with a slow start, so they used a higher modifier than they should have to give an a/T a decent duration.

*Mystic is like Rogue and Merchant right? Doesn't affect Guild % but guild effect [wizard production] right?
    Just say "yes" and I'll go away.

Props to the people who foresaw this and went Faery but goddamn if this isn't frighteningly overpowered. Keep it on provinces nonstop and they can never gain a peasant all war. It's practically game-breaking to the point where it almost needs to be changed mid-age.

there are indeed caps on spells, check wiki for duration mechanic - mystics get 33% longer duration i believe.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

Last I checked, the wiki only had an opinion, not a formula, of the mechanics.
    An opinion is worth very little, and is worth less if it was written by a single user.

As I tried to explain Bishop, a cap is
    duration = min( cap , formula )

while an imposed limit is
    duration = cap * formula

Utopia uses the later.

Of course, reading only the first few words of a post tends to create confusion...
    Just say "yes" and I'll go away.

Out of 14 casts from our faeries 7h was the highest. Most are 5h.

Post Demon
    Chastity should be both harder to cast and cost more imo. It's ridiculous the way it is now (and I'm actually playing Faery this age).

Veteran
    After the nerved nightmares i'm happy there is at least one more op that can be decisive in war and that doesn't require half a kingdom online the same time to be executed efficiently. Apart from that isn't chastity exactly as it was before. Neither faeries nor undeads have a racial duration bonus. As a kd it's something you have to deal with.
    Last edited by Yadda9To5; 23-04-2011 at 11:11.
    http://www.upoopu.com/: an intel repository (or: "pimp alternative") for utopia (read the guide).

yea but the 50% faery has gives it a boost as does any science which faerys will have. last age chas was like 2-5 days. now seeing chas for 10 days is kinda ridiculous. its very low costing because you needed to cast it so often for it to be effective. now that its lasting this long...the cost is way to low for the spell and is unfair.

Quote Originally Posted by E Jade View Post
    yea but the 50% faery has gives it a boost as does any science which faerys will have. last age chas was like 2-5 days. now seeing chas for 10 days is kinda ridiculous. its very low costing because you needed to cast it so often for it to be effective. now that its lasting this long...the cost is way to low for the spell and is unfair.
    You are right faeries have + 50% magic effectivness which is a mod to there WPA not spell duration.

The only thing that effects duration are guilds with a 20% cap and the mystic personality +30% Spell Duration (For Duration Spells Only), +30% Spell Effects (For Instant Spells Only).
    So the amount of chasity being cast will go up this age as undead 1/3 of the server and faeries have the spell and with faeries mWPA more successful casts will be made and the durations should be the same as any gnome with the same set up last age. BE guild% Personality

Get your m8s to MV
    LL THE BOBS!

Quote Originally Posted by Al3x View Post
    You are right faeries have + 50% magic effectivness which is a mod to there WPA not spell duration.

The only thing that effects duration are guilds with a 20% cap and the mystic personality +30% Spell Duration (For Duration Spells Only), +30% Spell Effects (For Instant Spells Only).
    So the amount of chasity being cast will go up this age as undead 1/3 of the server and faeries have the spell and with faeries mWPA more successful casts will be made and the durations should be the same as any gnome with the same set up last age. BE guild% Personality
    gnomes last age didnt really play as mystics or have 20% guilds cept maybe to pump wizzies. i know i was more focused on attacking to really dedicate that much land to guilds. however faeries can do nothing but devote at least 20% guilds and maybe chose mystic.

i guess im just saying it was choice last age where as this age faeries dont really have one so its gonna be more of a norm. i swear i dont remember chas lasting that long before.

Enthusiast
    http://forums.utopia-game.com/showth...une-Cost/page2

Why do I feel like "Get someone to MV you" is a rather blithe and patronizing answer? In addition the difficulties of MV and high rune costs, it only has a 50% chance of removal. But now Faeries can spam it all the time since it costs half of what FG costs. Their 50% racial mod doesn't necessarily increase duration but it negates the difficulty of casting such a high powered spell with MINIMAL rune costs..

I have no idea how difficult Chastity is since I did not play Gnome or Fairy but if it's on par with NM then it's not difficult enough. (On a side note, didn't the old guide graphically rank the difficulty of spells?)

My main beef is with the rune costs though. If it's cheap enough that when a province gets it for 3 hours, the faery decides to MV the province in order to cast a longer one the same hour, then that is ridiculous

Can't you just steal the runes..? Why would the fae waste runes/mana casting MV when they can just cast Chastity again for a longer spell duration? I'm not sure if I catch your drift inventio
    LL THE BOBS!

Thread Information