Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Got him :)

Cool Got him :)

Got the sneaky little bugger!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/05/01...d-say-sources/

It's official. President Obama has made his speech about it (one of his best imo) and we have confirmation via DNA testing :D Usama bin Laden is dead at American hands.
    Last edited by Ordray; 02-05-2011 at 04:06.
    Retired at one time but no longer retired.

The result of this:

1. Obama's incompetent ass wins reelection.
    2. All the "terrorists" in the world are now even more pissed off at us.

But wait, this is how we solve wars right?
    The U.S. Government wins again.
    "Go back to the gym because you f'king suck at utopia, noob." -Godly

My classic black theme for Utopia - Updated 5/13/15

Quote Originally Posted by darkl1ght View Post
    Unfortunately, no amount of razes will improve your war record
    Greatest strategy thread/question of all-time.

Quote Originally Posted by KuhaN View Post
    2. All the "terrorists" in the world are now even more pissed off at us.
    Yeah, it's unlikely they're just going to give up and go back to their families. I'm glad I don't live in the US as the ****'s going to hit the fan over there.
    This is my province. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    My province is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
    My province, without me, is useless. Without my province, I am useless.
    I must attack hard with my province. I must attack harder than my enemy who is trying to pk me. I must pk him before he pk's me. I will...

Post Demon
    Quote Originally Posted by KuhaN View Post
    1. Obama's incompetent ass wins reelection.
    If he hadn't been so busy squandering resources on a pointless war, it might have happened on Bush's watch.

I guess Obama just knew better that he should keep his eyes on the ball.

Yeah, it's unlikely they're just going to give up and go back to their families. I'm glad I don't live in the US as the ****'s going to hit the fan over there.
    Maybe a bunch of small ill-planned stuff, but with a decapitated leadership, no project anywhere close to september 11's scope.

Quote Originally Posted by Magn View Post
    If he hadn't been so busy squandering resources on a pointless war, it might have happened on Bush's watch.

I guess Obama just knew better that he should keep his eyes on the ball.
    So why are involved in Libya? Is it any less pointless than Iraq? (I'd agree that we shouldn't be in either.)
    @KuhaN - I doubt that this will be much of an issue in the 2012 election...
    @Landro - I do expect there to be retaliation, and yesterday was actually supposed to be the start of Al Qaeda's spring offensive, so we were expecting increased attacks and threats on Americans already.

Maybe a bunch of small ill-planned stuff, but with a decapitated leadership, no project anywhere close to september 11's scope.
    I'm frightened by your naivety.
    S E C R E T S

This victory is more symbolic for Americans than anything. Have no doubt that Al Qaeda or any other terrorist organization will take advantage of any opening that they can find.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    He was hiding in his mansion.

When you're looking for someone, don't you typically check their house first...?

Quote Originally Posted by Ordray View Post
    So why are involved in Libya? Is it any less pointless than Iraq? (I'd agree that we shouldn't be in either.)
    @KuhaN - I doubt that this will be much of an issue in the 2012 election...
    @Landro - I do expect there to be retaliation, and yesterday was actually supposed to be the start of Al Qaeda's spring offensive, so we were expecting increased attacks and threats on Americans already.
    Libya and Iraq are entirely different situations. We didn't declare war and invade Libya, we are supporting the UN.

If you think this won't affect the election you're just insane. I wish we could see Obama's approval rating from 2 days ago, and what it is now.
    S E C R E T S

Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    He was hiding in his mansion.

When you're looking for someone, don't you typically check their house first...?
    To this point we didn't handle search operations inside Pakistan AFAIK, but I think once we had such reliable intel we said to hell with the Pakis let's go get him and tell them later.

It was built in 2005 to specifically protect someone, the question is how could Pakistan not find him? Answer: they weren't really looking and just lying to us. It was half a mile from a Pakistani military base FFS.
    Last edited by DHaran; 02-05-2011 at 15:58.
    S E C R E T S

Post Demon
    Quote Originally Posted by DHaran View Post
    I'm frightened by your naivety.
    Not naivety. It just makes sense.

I don't know of any group that can operate well without a good leadership.

9/11 took all their small change and that was when their organization and leadership was intact.

Will it regrow? Maybe, but in the short term, it's not very likely they'll be able to do something "big" in retaliation for his death.

Post Fiend
    Not naivety. It just makes sense.

I don't know of any group that can operate well without a good leadership.

9/11 took all their small change and that was when their organization and leadership was intact.

Will it regrow? Maybe, but in the short term, it's not very likely they'll be able to do something "big" in retaliation for his death.

Well that might be true to a point but the reality is that group has long ago distributed it's decision making into a decentralized cell based structure. While lack of top level leadership might make things tougher, the fact remains that Osama was more a figurehead than a mastermind. It's others in the network that have for quite some time been more instrumental in the planning and organizational structure.

The one thing I can't help noticing is pictures of people in the streets in the US cheering the assassination. Do Americans really think that if the sympathetic supporters of Ossama would see this behavior in any differently than how Americans saw the cheering of Al'Queda supporter cheering the collapse of the WTC?

I think the true effects of this assassination will take some time to figure out. This could have as little effect as simply being a symbolic victory for the US, to possibly sparking major conflict in Pakistan (a nuclear power), to kicking the hornets nest and driving support for terrorist groups higher (martyr effect). Such actions are hardly simple or clear to foresee, some of the very real potential consequences are not pretty while others would be forgettable this is one of the main reasons assassination is rarely a good policy (far too unpredictable even if they do succeed).

He was basically just a figurehead and warcry for recruitment since going into hiding. The Yemen branch of Al-Qaeda has been operating outside Bin Laden's control or influence for years. They were responsible for the near successful Detroit Christmas plane bombing.
    S E C R E T S

Quote Originally Posted by Fenleone View Post
    The one thing I can't help noticing is pictures of people in the streets in the US cheering the assassination. Do Americans really think that if the sympathetic supporters of Ossama would see this behavior in any differently than how Americans saw the cheering of Al'Queda supporter cheering the collapse of the WTC?
    While that's a fair point it's also flawed. They celebrated the deaths of 2500 innocent civilians, Americans are celebrating the death of one mass murderer. You have to understand the pent up frustration that was released on the news of his death as well. It's been echoed around the world too, not only Americans are cheering. The nation of Islam has already expressed thanks that such a stain on their image has been brought to justice.
    S E C R E T S

Post Fiend
    Oh I'm not disputing the reality of what this man was responsible for or that the situations arn't equal (though a 2 wrongs don't make a right argument can be made), I'm simply pointing out that for his supporters the optics of the cheering by Americans won't likely be seen all that differently than how western democracies saw BinLaden's supporters cheering the Sep 11th attacks.

Thread Information