Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food Decay -- Solutions?

Regular

Food Decay -- Solutions?

I began playing utopia yesterday, so I'm unsure what percent of food decay is typical. I produce 49,729 bushels of food per Utopia day, and 20,847 bushels decay each Utopia day. A 40 percent decay rate seems high. Could someone please provide the decay rate formula and recommend tactics to reduce food decay? I'm awaiting farm construction while each day I'm 11,487 short (and probably growing with population). Barron land is scarce because I overbuilt housing shortly before seeing that the orders where represented in acres, not gross numbers, so I have to gradually raze housing and build farms for food rather than look to barren land for supplementary food production.

Does researching Food under the Sciences reduce decay, or merely increase gross food production?

What else keeps food decay high? (I'm under Protection, so it's not Vermin). Does drought occur without being the target of a spell (i.e. can gross food production and decay fluctuate in Utopia in the absence of spells, or is it not randomized at all)?

Do soldiers need food (so would drafting reduce some food requirements)?

Can having too many of one building type or no too little build able area or little barren land accelerate decay?

Any answers and ideas would be helpful, as well as sharing what food decay percentages can be typically expected. Thank you for your insights.

decay is about 1% - are you sure you arent looking at your consumption, or last months decay?

http://wiki.utopia-game.com/index.php?title=Food
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

How much food do you have to be decaying 20k an hour? You are probably only negative because of that. What is your food needed per hour?

Food Grown 34,481 bushels
    Food Needed 34,161 bushels
    Food Decayed 1,180 bushels
    Net Change -860 bushels

This is mine, show us yours. Even though I show negative, it's only because of decay. I make enough food per hour to feed everyone. Bishop is right, you must be looking at the wrong section.
    Last edited by DHaran; 30-06-2011 at 14:45.
    S E C R E T S

i checked, you have 200k food and are producing more than you require - the decay you posted is for all of today, not just the hour.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|

How did you check without his support ID? o.O
    S E C R E T S

there are ways.

Regular
    Let's see.. Net change yesterday: Net change this month:
    Food Grown 3,391 bushels 53,120 bushels
    Food Needed 2,931 bushels 43,310 bushels
    Food Decayed 2,046 bushels 22,893 bushels

the decay is 1% of your total food, in your case you have 200k food and are producing a surplus every tick - as your stock dwindles so will your decay.

Regular
    Net change yesterday: Net change this month:
    Food Grown 3,391 bushels 53,120 bushels
    Food Needed 2,931 bushels 43,310 bushels
    Food Decayed 2,046 bushels 22,893 bushels

This is strait from my State page. The decay is pretty high: 3,301 bushels grown yesterday, 2,046 bushels decayed yesterday, and 2,031 bushels needed, making the net change -1,586 bushels each Utopia day.

Am I mismanaging the new province (joined yesterday) or is it a bug?

Nah, someone sent you a ton of food i would imagine

The net doesn't matter as long as you are growing what you need on an hourly basis.
    S E C R E T S

Regular
    No one sent me food to my knowledge. Bc my recent joining-not even having a pimp code- I have no conformation the Kingdom is aware I exist. My Food does say "203,061" in the red table up top. Is this the starting surplus, from which food is subtracted on peasants' behalf's, or a record of all food ever produced where as the net change is negative (leading to starving peasants)? I ask because some peasants died/left, and the food production shows as negative.

Peasants are rising now, but with all the houses, it may only mean they're overproducing only to starve. Unsure for now.

hmm, maybe you do start with 200k mid age - i wouldnt worry about it though - as long as Food produced is just over Food consumed you are fine. Typically 10% farms is enough - undeads need 0 and faeries need a little less though.

203k is what you have right now.

The net doesn't matter, if Food Grown > Food Needed, you will not starve. The total in your top info bar is the total amount of food you have right now.
    S E C R E T S

Check the "News" link on the menu on the left (its 3rd from the top) - you can see if you were aided food there. If your trade balance is negative that also means you were aided.

Thread Information