Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advanced war strategies

Advanced war strategies

Now with the news and so on, one is learning more but still ignorant,
    this last article on aggression brought two points to me that id like to ask about.

Number 1, targeting the highest offense province for the first chain. Is this what one should do , always try to take the guy with the highest offense first?

Im thinking of course the most active person is the first target down here in the ghetto, since not all can do 2 hits per day, if the enemy kd has a lot of active provinces, then one hits the most offense one?

And number two,
    Building unbreakables by turtling?
    Why does one want to build unbreakables and how does one trudly turtle?=
    Does one build unbreakables by having very high defense and gaining a lot of acres so late in war no one can hit them and then they , the unbreakables, can double tap everyone in the enemy kingdom?

If one has lets say 3 unbreakables already from start of the war. Lets say they are around 2000 acres, and the enemy has provinces of 1300 to 1600, what should the unbreakables job be?

Since trad march gains are crap, should they stick with massacre or raze attacks?

Is there any other way of building unbreakables in war?

Im goin to try the war planer from opuopu , any tips on it? i never used it before lets see what it says.
    - Get the best out of your gameplay, go 45% homes minimum .
    -Successfully tested over 13 war wins in a row and many that number of non war conflicts .
    7 out f 7 war wins age 50 guarantees.
    High homes = good

Enthusiast
    "Number 1, targeting the highest offense province for the first chain. Is this what one should do , always try to take the guy with the highest offense first?"

if you have people to protect, yes.

This is just my personal list

#1) Most Active Attacker
    #2) Most Active Mage

Notice how I chose based on activity. Because if thier "power-hitter" only hits once a day he doesnt really need to be chained. Maybe retailed for his grabs, but thier highly active mid-range attacker who hits the minute his armies are home is gonna do more damage in the long run, chain him to a pile of crying rubble then move on thier thier active mage. But thats just my views of war, and I live in a ghetto. so activity is pretty much the make or break downhere in the charts where I live, im sure it is slightly different when activity is less of the "It" factor.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    On opening waves you can't really judge activity. And if their most active attacker is their smallest guy, he's not much of a threat.

Point being, take out the biggest threat, whatever that may be to you.

You want to get unbreakables in war because it gives you a distinct strategical advantage. The unbreakable will knock down anyone that comes within range and effectively create a cap that the other kd can't grow past. Then you focus on growing the rest of your kd up to where the unbreakable is and eventually the other kd just can't do anything to you.

Enthusiast
    can't really make a judgment on ranking activity. haven't really come across a kd that doesn't have most of its people on enough to attack x2 a day.

Enthusiast
    you turtle by leaving enough def at home that no one can break you. that might mean leaving elites at home.

min gain from TM in war is like 3% i think, so you can still use it when your unbreakable(I would)

Veteran
    Number 1, targeting the highest offense province for the first chain. Is this what one should do , always try to take the guy with the highest offense first?
    Not always. You decide what your goals are for the war and target accordingly. It depends a lot on your kd setup and the opposing kd setup. Some kds are built to last, some are 48 and out. That will determine some actions.

Further, some kds have less nw variance, some have more. That will determine who to chain as well. If i'm a kd all centered around the average nw vs another kd that's got much bigger nw variance, I don't even bother to look at the biggest provs or who has the highest off. Clear your range first! the isolate and take down tactic is huge, because provs that are growing are generally losing WPA fast and can be brought down with some good kingdom teamwork.

And it doesn't always matter what a prov looks like at the beginning of the war - what will they look like in 24 hours? 48 hours? after feeling some T/M wrath? The path of least resistance might be worthwhile. If I have to waste a whole wave taking down 1 EXTRA STRONG prov say 300k off/200k def) and instead can take down 2 moderately strong provs (200k off/100k def) i would likely choose the 2. That 1 prov has 4 gens. Those 2 provs together have 8 gens and more MO, and chaining two medium sized provs will create a gap in THEIR chain that will make them less effective.

Just some things to consider when deciding who to chain...

Does one build unbreakables by having very high defense and gaining a lot of acres so late in war no one can hit them and then they , the unbreakables, can double tap everyone in the enemy kingdom?
    Unbreakables are good for many reasons (if they are truly UB) - funding dragons, aiding up other provs and killing enemy dragons are all actions that can turn the tide of the war. Generally these are limited to provs who have strong T/M defense that won't just get Opped into range - anyone that can't protect themselves is not unbreakable. Besides the duties listed earlier, their goals for attacks can be:
    1. massacre t/ms (since they can't be broken - make sure you have a good def buffer)
    2. do multiple trads to start/finish a chain.

Hope this helps.

Veteran
    Good post by Meeni. There is not really a generic warstrat, even if there are a few key points that will continuously win you wars. One that people often forget is the skills of the individual players. Even the best leaders cannot (and most definately should not, if they want to keep thinking players) guide their players every move. Recruiting players with own skill to optimize provinces is very important.

It sounds like an unbreakable must be someone that can log in a lot, and be very good at having tm defenses , were probably going against a kd of all undeads .
    Theyre pretty active too. Lets see what happens, damned undeads, It has always been our dream to overgrow the enemy kd so that they cant hit us no more, but that sounds like a 2 weeks war.

We had problems with money in the last war ,and retraining defense to keep the acres and all that.

Its really hard to rebuild acres with no money, planning how to get a lot of acres and keep them in a 2 weeks war seem like a dream . So far our wars only last minimun time to 4 days . LAst age we had a 2 weeks war though until the end of the age, it didnt end , we was sort of winning but you know in the ghetto one doesnt have much experience on how to wage a long war and rebuilding and all that.

We put a lot of thought in overgrowing the enemy kd until they could hit us no more but we couldnt come up with a solution, the age ended .

This war might last until the end of the age which is in aroudn 2 and a half weeks so it might be the chance to try all this things .

Still going against an all undead kd is a pretty scary thing i dont know how it will go, we can only hope .
    -Successfully tested over 13 war wins in a row and many that number of non war conflicts .
    High homes = good

Veteran
    Your mistake is trying to do something you are not setup for - outlast an undead kd when you have money issues.... this was my earlier point exactly. You are not setup to win - why try ?

insanity
    High homes = good

Also, if you're looking to get an early lead over a KD and try to exploit it as much as you can, then you might want to consider this: 1.) have all of your attackers run at least 10% GS in their build. 2.) have your opening dragon be an Emerald dragon and perhaps your second, depending on how your enemy KD looks.
    The thought behind this is to limit the enemy gains during the initial portion of the war by using the GS and Emerald Dragon, and you also increase their losses both offensive(excluding UD of course) and defensive military losses while your KD gets normal gains and can finish a couple of chains before they can due to those diminished losses.
    Quote Originally Posted by gojete View Post
    This war might last until the end of the age which is in aroudn 2 and a half weeks so it might be the chance to try all this things.
    P.S. The age only has about 1.5 weeks left, so there isn't going to be a 2 week war that hasn't started yet.
    Retired at one time but no longer retired.

they are all undeads, but the 15% reduced gains coupled with guardstations is a damn great idea.

We will chain them with pitfalls on, so the 15% combat losses would also help in killing their defense faster thus enabling perhaps tripple tapping sooner than later.

i guess trashing their defense as fast as possible is way better than the ruby.
    High homes = good

The best idea for a starting chain is to chain a person who has bounced, has troops returning not so soon, not many incoming acres, or suicided. It's very situational, but that's what I look at first, then moving to off/def/build/tpa/wpa/etc.

What should be your goal vs an UD kd is to NS them. NS + chain should do a really good job. And hit people when they have troops home. If you have very active t/ms, maybe it's not bad to clear their solds kd wide every 3-4 hours or less (they can pay off easily, but not if they dont have solds).

Getting UBs against UD kd is hard, as they have heavy off and they can NM you back into the range easily (TPA is easy to maintain, but WPA is very hard if impossible).

>It sounds like an unbreakable must be someone that can log in a lot, and be very good at having tm defenses

A potential UB is a very situational thing. You obv don't build UB out of a person who is left to be a farm. Massive aid helps with T and NW part, M part is hard. Its very important who runs the province, as often you don't get enough money to build everything so setting build/train priorities is very important! If a player is retarded or inactive, have the province sat.

>We will chain them with pitfalls on, so the 15% combat losses would also help in killing their defense faster thus enabling perhaps tripple tapping sooner than later.

Kill elites. That's your goal. If you can 3tap and they can't its awesome, but if it turns into a quadtap fest (which we had on more than one occasion, when enemy just stops training def bec its useless), then killing elites is what should give you the edge.
    OLDSCHOOL

Inferno of Absalom
    The Gay

Don't forget to throw in some ambushes too. If they start sending out all elite or mostly elite armies, then ambush them! Kill as many elites as possible. UD spec armies are hard to ambush, but their elites have only 2.4 defense on ambushes, if I am remembering correctly. Use BG, pitfalls, and BL (if you have any orcs) when you can on ambushes to kill more. Other than that, I think that MA covered most of what was left.
    Retired at one time but no longer retired.

Thread Information