Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dragon Killing... Advice

Regular

Dragon Killing... Advice

I was just wondering how the top kingdoms managed to kill dragons so effectively. I am in a semi-ghetto warring kingdom and we don't kill dragons for about a day. I am reading in these news articles that top kingdoms kill dragons in hours, if not the first hour that they have it. HOW IS THAT HAPPENING WITHOUT EVERY PROVINCE IN SHAMBLES?! I'm confused.

Regular
    Just realized this should be in strategy thread. My deepest apologies. Could someone move it? Palem.. Bishop..?

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    I'll move it.

It's just a matter of organization and activity. If everyone is on and gives their fair share, you can knock a dragon out like it's nothing.

Plus, those provs pump extra specs and such for the exact purpose of killing dragons with it. Most ghettos don't plan ahead like that. They get a dragon and send what specs they can spare at it, even though they were most likely expecting a dragon in the first place lol

Regular
    thanks for moving it.

and very true. Planning is hard even in a semi-ghetto. I guess planning and whole-kingdom participation would be the ticket there.

thanks

Just figure out what the HP for a dragon is going to be for your KD, and divide up the HP between provinces, weighing their size and role. If you guys run T/Ms then give them a higher share to kill, and have all of your people pump a few extra specs to send toward killing the dragon. Consider having any of your Faeries run 1 or so o-specs/acre to send to help kill the dragon. I'd use o-specs because they're more NW efficient, but defense specs could be used as well.
    Last edited by Ordray; 08-07-2011 at 04:05.
    Retired at one time but no longer retired.

Exactly. It's not a huge secret as to how to deal with dragons. Just train up some extra specs for each province. When you log in, if there's a dragon, send your extra specs at it. If your kingdom mates do the same thing and are fairly active, the dragon will be gone in a short amount of time. Typically, if you have a full kingdom, 1k specs per province should be enough to take out a dragon quickly. Most of it just comes down to activity though, like Palem said. If your provinces are only logging on once per day, even if they have extra specs, they won't send them at the dragon very fast. But if they are active, you can kill a dragon in less than 1 tick. Having a way to contact your provinces away from in game PMs would help a lot too. That way you can tell them that a dragon has appeared and they can log on just long enough to attack it.

Regular
    A big mistake is provinces who train full elite army. How are you supposed to slay a dragon with 0 specs?

All above and
    Explain to your kd members the importance of killing it quickly.
    Show them that it's in the end more beneficial for every individual province so they won't abstain themselves.
    Depending on ghettoness keep track of who sent what and when.
    Devide HP with #provinces if slaying by ratio is too complicated and aid the ones that got affected out of proportion.
    Make sure your overpopped provs take the biggest bites.

Post Demon
    Explaining the benefit is anything but easy. With a ruby dragon you can usually prove with numbers that it's worth killing it, but with for example Emerald it's not as obvious. Also, many people don't want to sit out with dead specs for 24 hours just because others are slow at killing.

In the end it's all about creating team players. If the players don't trust each other, they will be selfish and killing the dragon will take forever.

Hear hear

Post Demon
    Until this age (as faery) I always liked being the "chain" target while a dragon was up, because I knew exactly what to do with extra defense if I was ligit overpoped - send it on the dragon. This age, killing dragon meant losing offense... sometimes I helped a lot, but sometimes I was trying to fire off a doubletap and had nothing to spare.

Knowing who is "exempt", and why, (and who is not!) can make a lot of difference. Also knowing that they can't send another one fast matters a lot - if your thieves have taken all their stockpile it's a lot easier to get buy-in to kill it. If another one just pops up 3 hours later... why bother? While it is cheaper to kill it than let it live... it is cheaper still to send it.

Getting a "core" of players that understand they are playing for a kingdom win, not an acre gain, makes a big difference. They'll feel the urgency - you want the players who ask the question "why shouldn't I kill it" instead of those that ask "why should I".
    it's vs. its is ambiguous - from now on I'm attempting to use the proper possessive it's, and the contraction 'tis. (Its will just be the plural.)

Think Different

I don't think anyone except those being chained should be exempt from dragon killing. It makes far less sense for a handful of provinces to make themselves more vulnerable (due to having to cover for their mate's exemptions) than several provinces being only slightly weakened by losing their specs (even at the cost of one attack). Especially in most decent sized KDs, 1 to 2k specs is nothing to lose really in my opinion. I do agree than those with extra specs to spare on top of the reserves should send what they can, but I don't think this should be the norm, or else others in the KD will start to slack off in their duties, and we're back where we started with needing to kill off the dragon.

As far as explaining why it's important to kill it quickly, depending on the KD you're warring, it is very possible that they could not get the cash quickly enough to send another one during a war. Some can, but others cannot (especially ghettos). So killing a dragon quickly wastes a TON of their gc that they could have used to train more offense and tpa. This waste is maximized if whatever bonus the dragon provides lasts only 1 or 2 ticks. However, if the dragon is around more than 5 or so ticks, I would argue that the damage done was worth the gc (and thus the sending KD didn't really waste their gc, like you would have liked them to). That should be a good enough explanation to your KD regardless of their experience in the game I would think.

You'll occasionally have the players who send everything at it as well. Usually TMs. They shouldn't be the one who slays it though as the Slayer shows up in the news. You can still tell if someone did it alone by a sudden drop in nw/acre
    Last edited by Trillium; 08-07-2011 at 18:02.

Post Demon
    1 spec/acre, no delays, as son as you log on
    80%ish of the kd does is and fluffy is down, leaves some room for ppl in dire need to skip sacing (ie chain target)
    Its all about teamwork rly, once ppl are ready to sac and not play dumb waiting for some1 else to do it you will be killing dragons in few hours.

Yeah, the 1 spec/acre is definitely helpful if you can get people to do it (many ghettos have issues getting people to do anything, soooo....yeah). If everyone does it, you'll end up in a much better situation though. We killed a dragon in under 1 hour this age two times. It was so satisfying and was made possible by the 1 spec/acre reserve requirement.

Thread Information