Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Utopia Seraphim

Lightbulb Utopia Seraphim

Hello fellow utopians.

It's been a while since nobody could run Utopia Angel under linux or any other OS except Windows. The tools which were made (at least for linux) were lacking a lot of features and really - they weren't looking as good as the good old Angel. This is why I decided to build up an application which can be used by people on more then one platform. Unfortunately for the Mac OS users, I still cannot build an executable for Mac yet, although the code is pretty much done.

The tool is being built by the example of Brother Green and his Utopia Angel. I know the people are used too much with the way Utopia Angel is showing intel and the way it was put into the application windows. This is why you'll find a lot of similarities in this applications' window designs with the ones of the Angel.

Right now the application is lacking some features, but you can be assured the new features are being worked on. If you give it a go, you'll be able to use:
    • Clipboard Manager which formats the intel exactly as Utopia Angel, which makes it more or less compatible with Utopia Angel compatible intel sites;
    • Export lines, to the ones in Utopia Angel (but NOT compatible with them!)
    • Button in the clipboard manager for modifying the intel data in a way to be post in IRC
    • Attack calculator, similar to Utopia Angels' Military Calculator
    • Forum Agent, for automatic intel sending to forum agent enabled intel sites

Utopia Seraphim currently is able to format SoTs and SoMs, the building calculator is being worked on at this moment, science calculator will be added later on.
    Forum agent is not extensively tested, so I do need some feedback from people if it works well for them.

You can download the application from the following address:
    http://seraphim.home-world.org

You can post feedback in this thread or join me in irc.utonet.org #seraphim to tell me your opinion or request a feature. I do not guarantee it'll be implemented soon (if implemented at all), but I will listen to all reasonable feedback.

P.S.: Bishop, I don't know if that's what you meant in IRC, but here it is ;-) Please, correct the post with the URL (cannot add urls before 10 posts :S)
    Last edited by Eus; 13-12-2013 at 14:14. Reason: updating link

Utopia Seraphim | All-in-One formatter
    seraphim [ at ] home-world.org | irc.utonet.org -> #seraphim

yeah! finally we have something for us linux folk!!!! thank you very much mystery fanclub member
    #mr187

the funkiest channel on utonet o/

==================================
    Inferno Of Absalom
    The Nigerian

Regular
    I'm gonna test this out too on my Ubuntu laptop, thanks for the effort!

Don't forget to install the required library before starting the installer and make the installer file executable if needed (check the installation notes at the site).

Lightbulb Version 1.0a

Version 1.0a of Utopia Seraphim is released! Now it features initial version of the Buildings calculator. It will not save the data you entered in it, but it will help you calculate your strats for the new age. Survey formatter is not yet working!!!!! It will be included with the next release!

Great stuff! Thanks alot for this.

Lightbulb Version 1.0a1

Version 1.0 Alpha 1 is released! It includes several tweaks on the application windows, some hotfixes and was released this soon because of the age start.

Sorry, next release will include the buildings calculator updates.

Post Demon
    I'm not a linux user, so I don't really have any use for this, but I always like seeing people put down the work for something like this. Good job, and keep it up :)

Lightbulb Version 1.0a2

Sorry, I messed up a bit, totally forgot that I have changed the code for the export lines a bit and that was causing the app to crash because of the "Pre Age" time. It's fixed now!

Luc, Utopia Seraphim is cross-platform! It can work on windows too. The differences aren't big, check the screenshots at the site. I was pretty much the only one to use it so far, if it's useful for a whole kingdom - I am happy! I know it still lacks features, but eventually it'll rise with the time, and with the help of a community of course.

I`m on a Mac so i guess im screwed but how is this better then for example Ultima ? The browser version of angel .

Wow, you registered only to ask me that?

Short version:
    there is no such thing as "browser version of angel"

Long version:
    Although Ultima and the dragon portal as a whole is really good tool/site, the tools there are slower and harder to work with. Standalone applications can be put on top of your browser window, which allows you for easier data input in your browser. Yes, you could always do the same with ultima when you open it in new window. Ultima has it's own built-in export lines, as well as Angel, as well as Seraphim. The difference here is that you can have the standalone application sitting in the tray, doing nothing and waiting for you to copy the needed data, which it takes straight from the clipboard. With Ultima, you have to copy the data, open the page if it's not already opened, insert it in the box, then you get the result.

That's about all, not just Ultima vs Seraphim, but Ultima vs Angel as well. Even though putting all the tools against each other is not really right. Every tool has it's pros and cons. Ultima doesn't have direct access to your clipboard, on a low resource computer (or on a computer working on a lot of things at the same time) it can be really laggy, while on the other hand tools like Angel, Seraphim and uTools needs to be downloaded to be used.

You aren't forced to use one tool or another. The majority is used to work with angel, as the oldest application of them all, however, that doesn't mean everything new has to be thrown away. As I said in my previous post - if there is a kingdom which finds my tool useful enough and starts actively using it - I am happy! If you and your kingdom like to use Ultima, that's fine, don't think anyone would mind.

If there is need to really talk about advantages, the biggest advantages of the downloadable applications is the forum agent which Brother Green created for Angel.

But seriously - why compare? There is no "best tool", none of them would give you any special advantage, they just help you calculate, so you don't have to do it yourself.

I'd suggest that you read the information about the different tools and what they offer to decide for yourself what is better FOR YOU!

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    I believe my default microsoft calculator to be the best tool :)

Regular
    looks like it wont work under 64bit version of linux...

Well the executables are compiled under 32 bit systems, so yeah, I guess it might not work. Still give it a go, I do not have 64 bit systems on my disposal, so I cannot really check or compile 64 bit version.

@Palem:
    Yes, I was doing that as well, just till like month a go. It's not hard to calculate how much to oversend for a successful attack, but sometimes I just want to input values and see the result, adjust with mercs and all, without the need to calculate by myself over and over again. And as I told to Kegra - everyone are free to use whatever "helper" software they like to, nobody forces you to use one or another.

Loiso, according to this site http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/534 static 32bit applications should be able to run on 64bit architecture, if they do not require additional libraries. Seraphim is static build for linux, but it does require some libraries, so I am not certain it will or will not work. Please, give it a try and tell me the results.

Here is a link to a site which gives even more information:
    http://maketecheasier.com/run-32-bit...nux/2009/08/10
    Last edited by Eus; 21-07-2011 at 04:26. Reason: Added clarification

Regular
    The only thing I dont have in utools is an export line when I upload intel to a forum agent. Will this tool provide that where other kd mates who use angel can use the export line and load it to their angel?

Thread Information