Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UF NEWS: PoD vs. Westeros

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums

UF NEWS: PoD vs. Westeros

Quick Note: Most of the wars that the UF news team has covered have been very close and lately there has been some requests for more strategy talk. So I figured I would cover a blow-out war and let any kds that are looking for tips use this and learn from other people's mistakes. If this isn't quite what you're looking for, just let us know (politely) and we won't do it anymore. Rest assured, we will still be covering regular wars

Westeros is a nice little start-up war kd that was put together last age. As they were looking for war, they started exchanging hits with a kd they had not heard of, Paragon of Duality, an active warring kd of the past 5 or 6 ages who merged with Freelancers and have been moderately successful since.

After the initial hostilities, both kds were at a bit of a standstill. PoD was worried that Westeros weren't going to bite, but after a little conversation between monarchs, PoD continued hits into Westeros, and brought them to hostile. At this point Westeros monarch figured they may have bitten off a bit too much to chew, as they were outnumbered 22 vs 18, but they pressed on and hit the button.

June 8 of YR2 Westeros Hostile STFO () has declared WAR with our kingdom!

By this point, both kds had begun Ruby Dragons, PoD had theirs funded while Westeros were lagging behind, this was due to PoD's general strategy of killing their economy. They made effective use of FBs and Chastity and made it a priority to keep Westeros' provs under 2k peasants at all times.

As war begun, both kds focused attacks on 2-3 provs. The difference in coordination was clear, after PoD had begun to pull off their chains, Westeros game plan seemed to have gone out the window.

As the war went on, Westeros managed to send their dragon 12 hours after war had begun, and PoD killed it within 8 hours of it's arrival. On the other hand, Westeros did not kill off their initial dragon because they assumed (correctly) that PoD just had another dragon funded and waiting.

A few hours after min time, Westeros counted their losses, and withdrew from the war...
    January 10 of YR3 Westeros () has withdrawn from war. Our people rejoice at our victory!

The Kingdom of Paragon of Duality

Total acres exchanged: +4017 acres (117/64)
    +435 acres: PoD Dragonite (4/0)
    +431 acres: PoD Jebavanje (7/0)
    +396 acres: Anonymous province (3/0)
    +347 acres: PoD Mystical (4/0)
    +335 acres: PoD Ping Pong (9/1)
    +325 acres: PoD FFA (4/1)
    +321 acres: PoD City of Poets (7/1)
    +316 acres: PoD Arrakis (5/0)
    +315 acres: PoD Antipathy (4/1)
    +298 acres: PoD Dead Lake (3/0)
    +290 acres: PoD Rock (6/3)
    +271 acres: PoD Fadswaffer (6/2)
    +235 acres: PoD Castello (8/4)
    +230 acres: PoD Cousin Corn (5/0)
    +199 acres: PoD Effulgent (4/1)
    +196 acres: Pod Scarface Tiger (4/1)
    +26 acres: PoD Catatonic (7/3)
    +6 acres: PoD Reaper (10/9)
    -64 acres: PoD Furious Bunny (4/4)
    -164 acres: PoD Venusaur (0/3)
    -204 acres: PoD Halfers Arx (4/13)
    -523 acres: PoD Bjorgvin (9/17)

The Kingdom of Westeros

Total acres exchanged: -2818 acres (64/115)
    +820 acres: Anonymous province (8/0)
    +44 acres: House Reed (5/6)
    +29 acres: dumb dumb (5/6)
    -73 acres: House Bolton (0/1)
    -95 acres: House Arryn (5/6)
    -116 acres: House Uller (5/4)
    -136 acres: House Banefort (1/3)
    -136 acres: House Wylde (1/4)
    -158 acres: House Stark (6/10)
    -183 acres: House Tully (7/7)
    -203 acres: House Umber (3/5)
    -205 acres: The Great Wall (5/7)
    -248 acres: House Penrose (1/3)
    -283 acres: House Qorgyle (5/10)
    -286 acres: House Lannister (3/10)
    -374 acres: House of Oakheart (3/10)
    -505 acres: House Royce (0/11)
    -710 acres: House Tyone (1/12)

The good:
    -Monarch was communicating with the other monarch pre-war. Diplomacy is very important.
    -Dragon management. While Westeros weren't able to keep up in terms of production, they knew enough to wait on killing their current dragon.
    -Yielding. Some kds are just too stubborn to know when they've lost, this wasn't the case.

The bad:
    -Coordination. As soon as Westeros began to suffer some good chains, people got panicky and orders began to be ignored.
    -Strategy. The difference in this war was the strategy behind it. PoD had a very clear, very effective game plan going into the war, while Westeros did not. Some of it can be chalked up to people not following orders, but even the initial chain targets seemed to have no future planning in front of it.
    -Awareness. Pre-war, Westeros' monarch knew the kd was in for a beating, but decided to war any way. I understand that you can learn things from kds that are better than you, but in my book, that was a mistake from the get-go. Also, declaring war when the kd was not ready was another large failure in awareness.

None of the bad things are especially noob'ish mistakes, they are just that, mistakes. Hopefully Westeros will learn from their past mistakes and hopefully you, the reader, can learn from them as well.

Rand alThor, PoD's monarch: "Want to thank Westeros for the war and how they handled themselves at war?s end. Thanks for the great War Forum discussions! Also, we still have 3 slots free in our kingdom, and are always recruiting to fill out our last spots. Find us at #pod on the Utonet IRC server! You can also send a PM to Dedlysmurf, Magn or Rockx, who are active here in the forums."

Joker, Westeros' monarch: "We are still looking for some players to join us and who are willing to put up with the growing pains of a new KD. Anyway congrats to PoD and good luck for the rest of the age."

Special thanks to both monarchs for participating.
    Last edited by Bishop; 16-08-2011 at 10:03. Reason: locs

WHAT THE ****.... PoDs monarch is the dragon reborn!?!??! how do I get in on this?

Post Fiend
    pretty sure coordination strategy awareness doesn't help when you are out hit 2:1

also someone should have covered "POKEMON" vs "sluurrppee"

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    I kind of figured that Activity was a little too obvious to put on there lol

Also, I can't speak for the other reporters, but I've only had 2 people bring wars to my attention, and one of those stories had to be dropped =\. If you see a war you would like covered, TELL US!

Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    If you see a war you would like covered, TELL US!
    We have a channel specifically for that purpose #utonews

^5 for the article Palem!

Postaholic
    yea seriusly, cover the more interesting wars...reading about a war were someone gets farmed isent that much fun imho..

Enthusiast
    Palem stop breaking forum rules , NO LOCS EVAR NO EXCEPTIONS , sound familiar ? ;p
    #spankers

@Minty: I normally go by dragon_reborn but felt like changing it up recently

@noseblood: when we started waving we were equal in networth and size basically

@NoseBlood we didn't get farmed we got beat because of mistakes I made and lack of coordination. Waring with PoD wasn't a bad thing either. It showed some of the guys in my kd what they would be up against. It was our second war out and I'm not to concerned about it.

You have to give credit to PoD and their planning. Great war forums and discussions. We were equal in NW at the start of the war.

Palem left out one thing that I did say, I hope that in the future we can return the favor to PoD and give them a real war. Time will tell.

I also go by Joker

News Correspondent Mad_Scottish's Avatar
    A lot of kingdoms are still not tagged and wont give war info as we cant post the names etc lol so some of them find it very pointless. Good war PoD

Enthusiast
    Thanks for the news article. I'd like to make 1 correction. PoD has been around for far more than 5-6 ages. Some of our core members have been in PoD for 20+ ages. It was 5-6 ages ago when freelancers merged into PoD that we were able to break into the charts and start putting up decent ages.

Palems advice about awareness is spot on. We have in the past made the same mistake, and it has ended up the same way for us as well. Do not go into a war thinking/knowing you will lose. If you do not feel like the war is winnable, do your kingdom a favor and sit aside your pride and let the hits happen and just move on. 12-24hrs of being farmed out of war, is alot better than 48hrs of being farmed in war.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson View Post
    Palem stop breaking forum rules , NO LOCS EVAR NO EXCEPTIONS , sound familiar ? ;p
    Did I leave a loc in somewhere?

Just twice with it in bold.

Post Demon
    Quote Originally Posted by DeDLySMuRF View Post
    Thanks for the news article. I'd like to make 1 correction. PoD has been around for far more than 5-6 ages. Some of our core members have been in PoD for 20+ ages. It was 5-6 ages ago when freelancers merged into PoD that we were able to break into the charts and start putting up decent ages.
    Joined in the mid-twenties. Think it started being PoD maybe ~5 ages after that.

There were plenty of decent ages prior to the merger (seriously, give the old timers and people who aren't there anymore some credit here . We've always kept a decent war record and done well on island honor charts (and even dipped low in the world honor charts at times), but yes, the merger helped things a lot and brought dynamic new talent in.

It happened during a slump and gave the KD a lot of momentum to propel it to new highs. Everyone has been grateful for the "new" arrivals and they feel like they have been part of the group forever now .
    Last edited by Magn; 16-08-2011 at 02:55.

June 8 of YR2 Westeros Hostile STFO (x:x) has declared WAR with our kingdom!

January 10 of YR3 Westeros (x:x) has withdrawn from war. Our people rejoice at our victory!

Thread Information