Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: UF NEWS: Interview with Brian and Sean: Owners of Utopia

Post Fiend
    Great interview, and one that was needed.

It is good to see they have a long term plan set up - and although some people seem to see it as not enough, in these troubled times a cautious approach is what's needed.

Can't wait to see the new premium features!

A very enlightening interview. I truly feel for both you guys as well as the moderators for putting up with the amount of negativity and abuse that you are subjected to. It's one thing for someone to voice their opinion...it's quite another for people to come out of left field and start verbally beating everyone up just because they are unhappy. I have seen very little understanding and a lot of nasty abuse for the devs who put in their free time just so we can play this game. How ungrateful can these people get? Suffice to say that the ones mouthing off with no respect and no decency are probably all cheaters and are angry because they can't get away with being cheaters. You know...morons....losers...the shameful ones who are out to ruin this game because they lack the direction to be successful on their own...Lol *gasp* Name calling? You bet and I am tame compared to those who do the abusing on a regular basis so they should get back a little of what they throw out. I have enjoyed this game since Age 7 and never have I seen more abuse over some of the dumbest things in my life. Didn't any of those people learn any manners at their parents' knees?

You just keep on rockin' and doing what you do so well Sean and Brian and ignore those of limited minds...their Karma will catch up with them...have no fear.
    Last edited by Gwynn; 19-08-2011 at 02:01.
    "You cannot live until you have died at least once" a quote from Gwyndyl The Odd

i second that, thanx for the great interview, thanx for keeping up the work on this game.
    me myself have been playing on off since -98, and although not a frequent poster, i do visit these forum often, and its sad to see some of the bs that goes on in here, ....and every now and then some of these "old timers" or frequently posters, wonders why this game doesnt attract new players....

anywho...s&b, thanx,

Didn't any of those people learn any manners at their parents' knees?
    Obviously you didnt, but you're probably not as dedicated players as alot of other people. People got really upset by promises that was made and then not held and the sever downtimes that happend and a bunch of other things that happend. If you like to call people that cant play the game cause a bunch of people couldnt hold up to their promises of a smooth running game sure they might be cheaters but thats just in your own little world most likely.

Regular
    Great interview. I have played 10 years non stop, and appreciate you guys keeping the game going.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
    Name 1 good kd that didn't cheat. Funny how mass deletions happened and suddenly these players were back in the kd EoA... there were always issues. These recent ones regarding Brian & Sean happen to be recent...

Not to mention mass multis and some other stuff that was always prevalent. It's part of the game and we just have to combat it as best we can but 1 answer was legalizing previously banned stuff such as trading and sitting (which caused xlogging before) which definitely helped a lot. I'd imagine they were widespread due to necessity... now that it's manageable these issues are a lot more limited.
    I know for fact my current kingdom does not cheat, since the game rules today don't require that. And the top kd's I have played in only traded some players / scripted some provs, is that cheating? With current rules intact that would not be cheating...

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorash View Post
    I know for fact my current kingdom does not cheat, since the game rules today don't require that.
    Unless you're playing all the accounts(which would be cheating), there's no way to know 100% sure that your kd is not cheating in some way.

And the top kd's I have played in only traded some players / scripted some provs, is that cheating?
    It was, yes. By ignoring the rules, you gained a clear and distinct advantage over players who did not want to abuse the game and it's rules.

Have to say as a techie it was informative, and as a player it was very candid, great interview, the best so far
    uTools for Firefox | uTools for Chrome
    [Angels - Mercy - Evolution - Rage ]

Good ****!

Sweet, thanks Maddy for chasing S&B down for this and I thank them for taking the time.
    " It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Samuel Langhorne Clemens (November 30, 1835 ? April 21, 1910)
    Dungeon Dwellers Founder est age 25 -

I like to post
    Interview was very interest and thanks Brian and Sean for keep game alive. Make possible buy credits for get invite and sit credits was good idea for earn money from game and same time remove main reason for ppl to cheat -->trade/script. Short plans for bring extra options for money is right way for make sure game will survive. There is something important what i want to comment from question 19. If some one is feel offended from rest sorry but its how i was feel last age and its was result from other ppl act/not act.

Every online game when you create acc have link with rules, utopia too. So check rules is important. There is noting about when you can use VM and when this can be considered for abuse. There is noting in game/forum announce section about VM and specify any rules. There is noting in game section/menu when you activate VM to remind you when its acceptable and when not. I had long break from game and back last age, check all rules when we started to play. Late on age my KD suffered GB and there was alot unacceptable proposes like: deleted/kick X numbers ppl from kd and we will stop GB. I wont comment how this is against game rules and dev politic for bring ppl in game. After have to deal with alot problems like it i put my prov in VM to can simple rest from all and get normal sleep. We was in FWr, my prov was extremely hit and already so small for all aggressors to can gain from me. Short after activate VM there was this convo:
    [22:41] <~dorje> also Elit, you cannot use VM to hide from hits...people who do this will be kicked out of VM and suspended for 24 hours by the admins
    [22:41] <~dorje> it is strategically a poor move and does not improve your situation
    [22:42] <&Elit> why i cant go in vm
    [22:43] <&Elit> i need rest from all ****s :P
    [22:44] <&Elit> but your comment only show bad attitude
    [22:44] <~dorje> well i am biased about this particular abuse, since a couple ages ago we asked bishop if it was ok to use VM for non-vacation purposes...he said yes...so we put 2 provinces in VM loaded up with soldiers
    [22:44] <~dorje> both were in fact in the middle of finals and needed the vacation
    [22:45] <~dorje> then 100 mexico players spammed them with emails complainign that it was abuse, we got kicked out and suspended for 24 hours and all was lost
    [22:45] <~dorje> following that repeatedly cows have tried to use vm and each time kicked out of it and suspended for 24 hours
    [22:46] <~dorje> the admins reasoning being "vacation mode is for taking a break from the game"
    [22:46] <~dorje> since then nobody can use it; we can't use it; your enemies couldn't use it to hide from you
    [22:47] <~dorje> so i don't think you guys are justified or safe in using it either
    [22:47] <&Dirty`> wasnt aware of that
    [22:47] <&Dirty`> can't do anything about it now though
    [22:47] <~dorje> yes, it sounds like you stall til you are oow
    [22:56] <&Elit> dorje
    [22:56] <&Elit> i don't know about admi politic for vm
    [22:57] <&Elit> but there is chance to take nap from age too
    [22:57] <&Dirty`> nap or NAP?
    [22:57] <&Elit> and i wont go out from vm if make it
    [22:57] <&Elit> rest
    [22:57] <&Dirty`> ah
    [22:57] <&Elit> if i don't play, no reason to cant be in vm
    [22:57] <~dorje> i believe your current vm is to hide from hits...but if you intend to take the rest of the age off or something, that's a legit use indeed
    ----------------------
    This conversation show clear when VM was activated from me i didn't know about admins politic because there is noting posted/defined in any supposed place for it.Same time this didn't stop ABS to massive report me and no matter i send early msg to support to inform i'm take break from game my account was suspend short before min time for VM. From this time i call it ADMINS BUG because was clear abused from ABS for something unofficial. But all my blame go not to ABS but to admins because they need to know how much hate have in game and gave ppl reason to report for VM "because they think its for avoid hits" can bring only more hate and problems. I can agree if VM is used for stock soldiers can be consider for abuse but if some one want to activate VM and not play there is not any abuse and reason for ppl to be kick. Take break from game is Valid Vacation. If you plan to keep this politic define it cleat in rules and DONT kick ppl from vm before min time+24h is over so they can have time to go out. Don't see how 3-4 days VM one prov can make any harm to game, if you can hit one prov now you can hit it after 3-4 days too.

We just finished a war. One of the enemy provinces fled into VM after taking a very heavy beating. I don't blame him. In fact, he helped us achieve what we wanted; to remove a province from the war.
    This is my province. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    My province is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
    My province, without me, is useless. Without my province, I am useless.
    I must attack hard with my province. I must attack harder than my enemy who is trying to pk me. I must pk him before he pk's me. I will...

News Correspondent Mad_Scottish's Avatar
    This is the sort of stuff that Bishop has said that you need to help police as a community. They cant go around doing it all by themselves etc. There has to be a degree of help coming from us by making things easier so that B&S can focus on their other plans for the game.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Scottish View Post
    This is the sort of stuff that Bishop has said that you need to help police as a community. They cant go around doing it all by themselves etc. There has to be a degree of help coming from us by making things easier so that B&S can focus on their other plans for the game.
    Well it is a lot easier to help police when we get a clear set of rules to follow.

Also how is it determined whether someone is actually on vacation or not? Is it purely related to how many people have reported you or are you not allowed to go on vacation after being hit 2-3 times?
    Last edited by Benjiman; 21-08-2011 at 13:35.
    Viva la Revolucion

Regular
    What is considered a vacation? If I'm at home but don't want to play for personal reasons, can I drop myself into VM for a few days? Or do I actually need to email S&B my itinerary before VM'ing?

This type of enforcement is broken, and no way to enforce reliably.

Thread Information