Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: UF News: An interview with Mehul Patel, creator of Utopia

E_boko - I think we play in different leagues, the kds i played in would never just allow some random person to join without knowing nothing about them. It used to be quite a journey to get into good kds, besides I wasnt talking about now i was talking about before, like 9 years ago.

Regular

Thumbs up

Awesome article!

so 9 years ago how did you get new players in to the traded provinces. nobody was known then.
    Icy 4 8

LOL? It happened tons - trading was actually worse amongst ghettos, and it still is.
    Where did i say ghettos didnt trade?

Its real easy to get a kd as a brand new player. You get to play with new people and play in a kd that suits you. This is far superior to mehuls outdated vision, because its simply outdated.
    Yet majority of the kds on the server is ghettos that want better but cant cause they are in a impossible position.

Not allowing trading was never going to work, ever. The entire game was set up so that having all your slots played was vital.
    Think i mentioned it already twice but lets try again, I was all for trading even when it was illegal.

Heretics did, irish slots/players were rare.
    So you just started playing, didnt know anyone in the game and suddely just got a chance to join Heretics? Heretics had even more low standards than i thought!

so 9 years ago how did you get new players in to the traded provinces. nobody was known then.
    This game existed for 13 years by now, so 9 years back there is plenty of contact networks etc. You work your way up ofc, socialize etc.

takes way too long back then as opposed to now. a lot of ppl quit cause of that nonsense. present company included.
    Icy 4 8

Post Demon
    korp, you seem to be under the impression that every ghetto wants to be #1. That simply isn't true. A lot of people just want to play with like minded people they can have fun with, because they already know they will never get #1 and are 100% ok with it. This "everybody will just leave the ghettoes and go to the top kd's" argument has been proven over and over to be bogus. The people who leave ghettoes now were the ones who left them before as well. The difference is that before, if they didn't have any contacts, they defected around a bit and then quit the game. Now they at least have a chance (via recruitment forum/channels) to get into a kd that suits them.

A lot of people are fine with playing in crappy kd's, because they're not willing to invest the time to get better themselves. So instead they trade in a couple of friends (rl or internet) and just have some casual fun instead.

Again, Mehul's line + improved cheating detection => dead game

korp, you seem to be under the impression that every ghetto wants to be #1. That simply isn't true.
    Luc - Nah, but you seem to think that a ghetto is a ghetto cause they want to be a ghetto?

This "everybody will just leave the ghettoes and go to the top kd's" argument has been proven over and over to be bogus.
    I didnt say top kingds, i dont even think there is hardly any "top kingdoms" left in the game. I said better kingdoms, that includes alot of kingdoms. I agree its bogus, I could probably pick most of the "top kds" out there and play there but i did chose to play with my ghetto which had few people i liked instead.

The people who leave ghettoes now were the ones who left them before as well. The difference is that before, if they didn't have any contacts, they defected around a bit and then quit the game.
    When I talk ghettos i mean actual ghettos for once, not those mediocre kds. But just pure newbies in it, i dont understand how you think anyone would like to play in a kingdom where everyone is new to the game? Nobody has contacts when they started the game, they worked theire way up in the food chain, i did it.

Now they at least have a chance (via recruitment forum/channels) to get into a kd that suits them.
    Because standards has been lowered, if this was back when the game was still prospering they still wouldnt have a chance.

A lot of people are fine with playing in crappy kd's, because they're not willing to invest the time to get better themselves. So instead they trade in a couple of friends (rl or internet) and just have some casual fun instead.
    Again, its like people dont read what i write, or just decides to ignore parts. I am all for trading.

Again, Mehul's line + improved cheating detection => dead game
    Newsflash the game is pretty much dead already.

Quote Originally Posted by clark_kent View Post
    i heavily disagree with your disagreement with bishop disagreement of Q#7

the game does allow you to play random, you're delusional if you think that old system was strictly random i think you neglected ie scripting, razing nubs, trading etc ..under the current system it allows everyone an equal opportunity to create the kingdom you so chooses infact if the current system was in place it might even have flourish since the game had player base if a random player creates an account had an option to invite a friend of two they would have done so.
    I honestly thinking all of the sneaking around with trading and scripting didn't do as much damage because when Blake caught you... you got deleted more times than not. This was a risk. It didn't give the smaller kingdoms the chance that they were hoping for it just made things easier for the top kingdoms.
    Quote Originally Posted by VT2
    I should get a medal for all the common sense I highlight on a daily basis.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<Bishop> I don't dislike Ezzerland
    <Bishop> We are just incompatible

<~Palem> I read that as "snuffleupegas gropes Palem" twice lol

Korp, the games demise has been reported for years, yet here we are trucking away. Its possible that i've lost the gist of your argument, so ill just reiterate - not allowing trading up until recently was a bad game design that was inherently flawed.

Quote Originally Posted by flutterby View Post
    I honestly thinking all of the sneaking around with trading and scripting didn't do as much damage because when Blake caught you... you got deleted more times than not. This was a risk. It didn't give the smaller kingdoms the chance that they were hoping for it just made things easier for the top kingdoms.
    Ghettos traded more.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

I forwarded the Blake question to him - his response is: "I'm in Houston working for
    the largest legal spend management company in the industry. I still have dreams of
    deleting multis. "
    Wonder if it's "dreams" or "nightmares"? :-)

I admin on a web game (not Utopia or anything related) and it gets very stressful deleting people, deciding who is guilty and deserves deleting and who doesn't.
    It's no fun (unless you can be totally cold hearted about it, I also play the game and know some of the ones I have to delete, makes it hard) to decide who to delete.
    De inimico non loquaris sed cogites
    (Don't wish ill for your enemy; plan it)

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    great interview, heavily disagree with answer 7 though
    well even now i wish they had never introduced invites but i am warming to it my comback to utopia this age was to join a kingdom via the forums and it must surely make your jobs easyier as there are less cheaters to deal with

i still love the idea of putting strangers together and having them work it out compared to the current system
    The fool who asks is a fool for only 5 mins
    The fool who never asks is a fool for life

Quote Originally Posted by dodge83 View Post
    well even now i wish they had never introduced invites but i am warming to it my comback to utopia this age was to join a kingdom via the forums and it must surely make your jobs easyier as there are less cheaters to deal with

i still love the idea of putting strangers together and having them work it out compared to the current system
    did you know all the players in the kingdom you joined?
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|

Its possible that i've lost the gist of your argument
    I was just making a point of randoming into a kd was what made utopia so much fun back in the days. I dont mind trading, i always been for it, even thou i think it was better when it was illegal but for other reasons. I was just pointing out there was some merits to answer #7 even thou other parts were wrong.

Ghettos traded more.
    Dont really think so, just that ghettos was more clumsy with their trading which ended in more visible cheating. "Top kingdoms" pretty much hade better part of their kds traded, never did ghettos have, at least not the ones i played in.

Quote Originally Posted by Korp View Post
    I was just making a point of randoming into a kd was what made utopia so much fun back in the days. I dont mind trading, i always been for it, even thou i think it was better when it was illegal but for other reasons. I was just pointing out there was some merits to answer #7 even thou other parts were wrong.

Dont really think so, just that ghettos was more clumsy with their trading which ended in more visible cheating. "Top kingdoms" pretty much hade better part of their kds traded, never did ghettos have, at least not the ones i played in.
    Back years ago the random stuff was fine, but that stopped being fun pretty fast really. And no, ghettos traded more (this was as of 3 years ago anyway) and they still do. Ghetto players dont care as much about losing a prov/slot

Thread Information