Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: UF News: An interview with Mehul Patel, creator of Utopia

I agree with Mehul, but trading's not something that can be undone.
    Catwalk's crusade for legalized cheating was a stunning success, with ghettos and low-tiered teams everywhere losing their wells of knowledge to better kingdoms in the process.

Step one: replace everything that works.
    Step two: blame the predictable epic fail on outside forces.
    Step three: keep the community informed that no progress has been made since the last update.
    Step four: thank you for your patience.

News Correspondent Mad_Scottish's Avatar
    Bishop, I dont like that you have all seeing powers. It is creepy!!!!

Regular

Sitting and trading

Great interview. Nice to hear from Mehul. "you been Mehuled"
    I think sitting is vital to the game, since its a 24/7 game. imo, best move ever. Allows people to take 3 day weekends, vacations, have emergency's, etc.
    The invite system, I also do love. Everyone who has played the game for 10 years or longer, maybe even less, knows illegal trading was always going on.
    Now, the owners of game have given us a legal way to do both of these, while they make some income from it also.
    Sometimes you just want a real life friend in your kingdom and should be a legal way to get him or her in.

Post Demon
    I tended to agree with him as well, but re-examined my thoughts as legal trading was first being debated. Concluded I didn't think it was right, but wasn't sure any more. I now think it is a "necessary evil(ish)", not even a full evil, just a point that wasn't ever truly possible.

If we ever hit the point of running modded rules genesis, I'd love a no trading, forced reshuffle tourney. Not for WoL though - the main game has too much invested in it, to much continuity.

Mehul repeated proved he had no clue what was good for the game. (Happyness!) He also repeatedly proved he knew better than the mob echo chamber of B&S,m or anyone else for that matter. Trading wasn't right when the game was 50k and growing - but this utopia isn't that game anymore, despite very similar mechanics. The player profile keeping the game running is changed, winnowed to a much more driven and aggressive type of player.
    it's vs. its is ambiguous - from now on I'm attempting to use the proper possessive it's, and the contraction 'tis. (Its will just be the plural.)

Think Different

Post Fiend
    Thanks for doing this!

true that ethan. maybe when we get back to 50K players it should be different. we need a genesis for randoms though.
    Icy 4 8

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    lol 50k players? I'd be pretty happy with 15k

Forum Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    you're wrong. I can see the trading, i look at it every day.
    You couldn't see jack in the Days of Glory and therefore you have no idea whether that was true. It's just your opinion of the past, which you are entitled to, but not a fact of the past. You are extrapolating backwards into an entirely different game with more players. Perhaps it just depends what you call a ghetto, a lot of good kingdoms call themselves that for amusement.
    Last edited by Sweetiepie; 26-08-2011 at 00:45.

noice

Regular
    of course ghettos traded more and trade more.
    if u have an established kd with a solid payer base you'll be very picky with the trades u have.
    intervies, history, irc-experience etc... the bar is hight because the value of one slot is deternined by the value of your base player. as you go higher with the value of the kd - base players - the higher the value of one slot is and u are less and less likely to use it without carefull concideration.

in a ghetto things are the other way around. the kd base is lower (both quality and numbers) and one slot used almost cannot give you a player the will lower the quality of the kd (because that is allready very low).
    thus the slot is cheap and also the more trades you use the higher chance u get to actually find a decent player....

Enthusiast
    Some questions have a touch of being suggestive, towards having Mehul agree with the questioner's opinion.
    Had hoped for more questions regarding the early days of Uto
    Missing a question regarding a diminishing player base during his reign
    Would have been interesting to know what could have changed his mind (e.g. if current technology (against cheating) would have been available then)
    Would he have kept Utopia if he would have been able to find a team like S&B

Thanks for the interesting interview!

News Correspondent Mad_Scottish's Avatar
    Fair point mag, although most of the questions came from within the community when I opened a thread and asked around on irc, mingled with a few of my own. However, I see your point.

I wanted to get his overall opinion on the areas of concern and topical issues within the game.

Mehul is a God !
    Wish he would come back ;p

Veteran
    LOL? It happened tons - trading was actually worse amongst ghettos, and it still is.
    How do you know this when Mehul ran the game? How do you know this is true now? Your just a Mod right? You were not in any capacity able to have access to this information back then and I believe the same is true now.

Its real easy to get a kd as a brand new player. You get to play with new people and play in a kd that suits you. This is far superior to mehuls outdated vision, because its simply outdated.
    This game is outdated. But I can tell you many people left the game when trading was legalized. Mehul created this entire genera of games. Yet you claim to know better than the creator. Typical Bishop answer. His is the only answer and fails to take other opinions into account.

Not allowing trading was never going to work, ever. The entire game was set up so that having all your slots played was vital.
    Worked for 10+ year didn't it? All that had to be done was a little policing of the player base. The only reason it was vital was due to illegal trades and kingdom stacking. NOW it is VITAL. You have helped make it so. As Mehul said. You need to cater to the casual gamers. Not the hardcore. Once you do your player base is lost.

Heretics did, irish slots/players were rare.
    So you admit you were an 'exception'. Just shot yourself in the foot with that one.

Thread Information