Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: UF News: An interview with Mehul Patel, creator of Utopia

Quote Originally Posted by Fates Warning View Post
    How do you know this when Mehul ran the game? How do you know this is true now? Your just a Mod right? You were not in any capacity able to have access to this information back then and I believe the same is true now.
    I was in a position to view the cheating immediately after Mehul sold the game. Furthermore I can see the cheating that happens right now, it logically follows that the same types of players are still cheating. It is also logical that people with no strong ties to their accounts will accept the possibility of deletion for potentially high gains. Ghettos cheat more, developers have said this, community management have said this, game support have said this and the moderation staff have said this.

This game is outdated. But I can tell you many people left the game when trading was legalized. Mehul created this entire genera of games. Yet you claim to know better than the creator. Typical Bishop answer. His is the only answer and fails to take other opinions into account.
    I guess you can tell me that, but i don't have to believe it because you can't prove it. I can also tell you that Mehul lost more players than everyone under his system of not allowing trading. You have to believe that, because it is demonstrably true. Mehul created the game, this is fact, yes. If you had actually read what I posted you would see that the issue I had was that he did not allow his game to evolve with the times.

Worked for 10+ year didn't it? All that had to be done was a little policing of the player base. The only reason it was vital was due to illegal trades and kingdom stacking. NOW it is VITAL. You have helped make it so. As Mehul said. You need to cater to the casual gamers. Not the hardcore. Once you do your player base is lost.
    It clearly did not work for 10 years, it worked for 2-3 then the landscape changed and people got fed up with an unrealistic limitation. Having 25 full slots was vital because 25 active skilled provs > 24 active skilled provs - are you actually refuting this?

Feel free to explain why allowing trading is not catering to the casual player - it caters to everyone. Hardcore players will do better in a system with 0 trading (legal or illegal) because they will integrate better and resolve conflicts more efficiently. Casual and ghetto players have huge issues with this, you can see it every age with intra kd power struggles. By allowing players to select a kingdom that aligns with their own goals you are, in no uncertain terms, catering to the casual player.

So you admit you were an 'exception'. Just shot yourself in the foot with that one.
    Exception to what? Your statement is a non sequitur. Korp asked me a specific question, to which i replied. If anything it backs up my earlier statement that trading still introduces players to new people.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

If your considering the amount or number of trades, ghettos are worse-Bishop's right- they don't care if they lose the slot or their province; however, if you consider the number of provinces in the entire kingdom that were illegally traded at one point- back in the day, the top kingdoms would've been worse- almost all of their provinces were considered kingdom owned and were traded as players came into and out of the game, but those provinces weren't traded as often because you had to work to get there - other than my first kingdom I randomed into (and they let me stay until they disbanded) it took me three years to get into a top kingdom. I'm not sure if the illegal trading would still be true for the top kingdoms now with the legal invitations. The illegal trading wouldn't be needed because they'd just buy the invitation to get someone in they wanted and not risk having that province deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    great interview, heavily disagree with answer 7 though
    2-years-later.

What is the player base at now, 2,000?

What an achievement!

Quote Originally Posted by Depravity View Post
    2-years-later.

What is the player base at now, 2,000?

What an achievement!
    Thanks Given the previous decline i think we are doing pretty ok.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|

Didn't mehul get this game to like 80-90,000 players?? Then lost like 50-60k of those players with bad choices then sold it when he just about destroyed his own creation so he could go run a deli. He then never made any significant changes in +40 ages outside of removing boats and destroying battlefields(which was the reason why so many players played. He integrated noobs, weak alliances with elite players and elite alliances which then turned into a bashing on all the weaker players and alliances forcing many to disband and quit. Then he never advertised to draw in more players which then with many leaving and none coming u end up with a low population of players mainly elite, and hardcore players with a small amount of noobs and casuals becoming free land because they choose to not compete as a whole a a high level. To blame bishop is very foolish as he has control for war 5-10 ages yet since wol/bf server merged this game plummeted into the pavement. Bishop has maintained a level of slower departures. This game needs more advertising and more ppl to join to revitalize it. Will it ever be 80k players nope could it get bak to 20-30k very so. How today's advertising works it very well can. Drawing to a young crowd will be hard though cuz ur talking utopia vs war craft, Xbox, and Sony. Kids these days are more imagery drawn but drawing in a mid-older crowd can work. Also alliances very much need to comeback to save the game. The hatred for abs made the game what it was. Everyone made alliances to stick it to them. Everyone had a reason to get better every age. As for legalizing the trades it's about time that happened all the farms and cows in the game was ridiculous and god knows I love me some dumb ass sitting on 3-20mil gc but to have 5-10k provs inactive because ppl are trying to get into certain kds was ridiculous. Anyways bishop keep doing the good job u can't please all the haters and know it alls
    Making Great Wine out of Sour Grapes ...Lol haters are gonna hate players are gonna play! Keep it simple Just KMA!

Age 33- Perfection
    Age 36- Chronic CSB
    Age 58-60 Monarch of Kings
    Age 60- Fratzias sexiest player

I'm sorry that's just a complete wall of text and what I read majority bull**** .........
    IMPERIALS KLA

Post Demon
    Totally agree with Mehul's argument about random allocation. Even though I'm happy to be with my old friends again, what I liked about the former Utopia play is that you simply had to make do with what you had, hence why I also loved the Genesis server (can we have that back pls?). No matter what happened, you'd always end up again with a kd of players you got along with.

The argument of people wanting it isn't enough, and I totally feel Mehul's comment about saying that sometimes it's better not to get what you want. It's the same as using cheats in Pokemon or GTA. You instantly get something that else might've taken hours to accomplish. But exactly because it becomes to easy the fun has gone away.

What you describe was not reality though. Trading was absolutely massive. Mehul was a fool for not enabling and directing it years ago.

Post Demon
    Haha that's true. Reality was different. I once was leading the NW charts in Genesis but wanted to play with a RL friend. I asked one of my kd mates for his username/password so I could "Help" him. Then I changed the password and "stole his account". Hilarious... until I was deleted...

Post Demon
    And I was being serious about Genesis. Please bring it back just do some crazy experimenting as it used to be!

Wow cool interview.

People can make this game seem so complicated sometimes when it can be fun and simple.

Great article! I agreed with Bishop the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by bukharistan View Post
    and i was being serious about genesis. Please bring it back just do some crazy experimenting as it used to be!
    boo yah!!!
    I'm in shape...... round is a shape

Awesome, Nice to hear from him again. Good interview.

Thanks for sharing

Thread Information