Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Why your game is dying

Post Fiend

Why your game is dying

Their is a suggestion at the end of this rant.

1. Game is too team oriented.

Sorry, but nobody new is going to join the game when you can't accomplish anything yourself. Whats the point of playing a game that requires you to have 20+ active team mates at all times? Even in WOW you can do things without a consistent group of team mates. In utopia? Can't do anything except train troops and research science. And now that good players are all congregated in the same KDs, you have basically killed the chance for any new KDs to form (2 old longstanding kingdoms merging into 1 doesn't count).

2. Relations system encourages people to snap quit.

You need to get rid of the relation system you have entirely. You need to replace it with a 'que' like every other game has already figured out. You want to war? You enter a que and are matched with KDs to within a certain % of your NW. Sorry, but I know more people who have quit this game because of long stupid hostiles, and weeks of farming (on both sides of it), than I know people still playing. your system encourages cowardly behavior - only wave those you know you can beat. Simply idiotic.

3. Only 1 KD play style is valid

KDs have to be set up to give and receive waves. No longer is it possible to be peaceful, mind your own business, and grow. Why? Because a while ago some idiot thought it would be a great idea to let offense scale at a much higher rate than defense. What happened? The birth of all hyper aggressive KDs, which causes stagnation, which causes boredom. The only acres being explored into the game are by banks in about 10 KDs and that dries up fairly quickly because of your stupid explore pool. You guys decided that hey, lets only let hyper active agressive attacking KDs be successful, because that is 'how the game is meant to be played'. You took far too much strategy out of the game. The is no sliding scale of benefit in terms of speed of growth vs safety of growth.. now none of it is safe and its basically a giant purposeless crap shoot about who attacks who, and when.

Solution:

Remove relations system in favor of a que as described above.

Bring back unbreakable provinces: Value offense and defensive points at the same NW. Let generals give bonuses when they are home. Have the best defensive unit not be 2 points lower than the best offensive unit. Remove explore pool so that the game doesn't stagnate and people who don't want to be hyper active can still have a pleasant experience where they actually yield some results. New players especially don't like to attack and if you don't give them a chance to learn some of the more basic features of the game with some casual exploring ages, then they don't last more then a few attacks received. In addition, players who are now much better than the rest of their KD don't have an automatic reason to instantly leave. Why the heck would I waste my time trying to build up some ghetto when my province is going to get crapped on all age because my team mates can't back me up?
    Last edited by mordon44; 28-08-2011 at 06:09.

1. This is why Utopia is still around
    2. Learn some diplomacy
    3. Utopia is a PvP game. Deal with it.
    This is my province. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    My province is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
    My province, without me, is useless. Without my province, I am useless.
    I must attack hard with my province. I must attack harder than my enemy who is trying to pk me. I must pk him before he pk's me. I will...

we dont want a defensive game, it sucked when we had it.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

I guess this guy doesn't see all the new warring kds forming every age, lol.
    S E C R E T S

Quote Originally Posted by mordon44 View Post
    Their is a suggestion at the end of this rant.

1. Game is too team oriented.

Sorry, but nobody new is going to join the game when you can't accomplish anything yourself. Whats the point of playing a game that requires you to have 20+ active team mates at all times? Even in WOW you can do things without a consistent group of team mates. In utopia? Can't do anything except train troops and research science. And now that good players are all congregated in the same KDs, you have basically killed the chance for any new KDs to form (2 old longstanding kingdoms merging into 1 doesn't count).

2. Relations system encourages people to snap quit.

You need to get rid of the relation system you have entirely. You need to replace it with a 'que' like every other game has already figured out. You want to war? You enter a que and are matched with KDs to within a certain % of your NW. Sorry, but I know more people who have quit this game because of long stupid hostiles, and weeks of farming (on both sides of it), than I know people still playing. your system encourages cowardly behavior - only wave those you know you can beat. Simply idiotic.

3. Only 1 KD play style is valid

KDs have to be set up to give and receive waves. No longer is it possible to be peaceful, mind your own business, and grow. Why? Because a while ago some idiot thought it would be a great idea to let offense scale at a much higher rate than defense. What happened? The birth of all hyper aggressive KDs, which causes stagnation, which causes boredom. The only acres being explored into the game are by banks in about 10 KDs and that dries up fairly quickly because of your stupid explore pool. You guys decided that hey, lets only let hyper active agressive attacking KDs be successful, because that is 'how the game is meant to be played'. You took far too much strategy out of the game. The is no sliding scale of benefit in terms of speed of growth vs safety of growth.. now none of it is safe and its basically a giant purposeless crap shoot about who attacks who, and when.

Solution:

Remove relations system in favor of a que as described above.

Bring back unbreakable provinces: Value offense and defensive points at the same NW. Let generals give bonuses when they are home. Have the best defensive unit not be 2 points lower than the best offensive unit. Remove explore pool so that the game doesn't stagnate and people who don't want to be hyper active can still have a pleasant experience where they actually yield some results. New players especially don't like to attack and if you don't give them a chance to learn some of the more basic features of the game with some casual exploring ages, then they don't last more then a few attacks received. In addition, players who are now much better than the rest of their KD don't have an automatic reason to instantly leave. Why the heck would I waste my time trying to build up some ghetto when my province is going to get crapped on all age because my team mates can't back me up?

Final suggestion: Let top Players balance the game mechanics and get these 2nd rate players out of the development of the game.
    1) ok for this point i would like to point out that there are MANY MANY MANY MANY kingdoms including my own that want serious players. if you are active and willing to learn you dont have to be stuck in a ghetto and try to play by yourself. do you play by yourself in halo? gears of war? call of duty? no you play with a reliable team and kick ass. same here. difference is here you can choose who you play with as there are way more kingdoms looking for players then players looking for kingdoms. trust me. i sitll need one ;-)

2) as for the que nonsense you havent played in a real kingdom yet. you dont just cower in the corner and face ppl you know you can win against. its not always bout powerplaying another kingdom. sometimes you want a challenge and you go for a challenge. just because you dont have balls to the wall doesnt mean other kingdoms dont have it. again. join a better kingdom if you want to war better kingdoms.

3) there is a lot of strategy in the game. you have no idea how many ways you can fark with a kingdom to get them to submit to your will. on top of that unbreakables DO exist. just because your noobass cant make them doesnt mean they dont exist at all.

and seriously if you just want to explore all age GTFO. seriously now. its farking boring and you might as well play farm*****. its like playing starcraft 2 and asking the zerg to not hit you at all battle cause you want to explore and expand the entire battle.

here is my final suggestion. join a real kingdom and quit *****ing bout **** you dont understand obviously.
    Icy 4 8

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by E_Boko View Post
    do you play by yourself in halo? gears of war? call of duty? no you play with a reliable team and kick ass.
    You can play CoD by yourself. It's pretty easy to lone-wolf it and just tear up another team. Also pretty easy to play alone on Gears (at least in 1, didn't play 2 much). Halo's the only one that really fits the bill lol

my man. obviously you never played competitively. any mandingo can play by himself but to win and gain fame or honor or rank you need good teammates. stop trolling now. its like saying you can tear it up by yourself in counter strike w/o haxing. its insulting :-P
    Icy 4 8

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    I'm talking about jumping on multiplayer and just playing.

It's not like a random player can just jump into a gamebattles match lol

few things more enjoyable than playing in a random pub and being told that you are a hacker because of your ability to aim, fire, and then move.

you guys go off topic so easily :p

If people want to solo play we should cater to that: Discuss
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    What is there to do solo? That isn't fun at all. There's no coordination, no strategy, nothing.

You may not find it fun, but does that mean we should remove the option, encourage it, or ignore it? Look at shepherd for example.

I wish I could play solo since I don't want to commit to a kingdom, but I know I can't really do much without kd support. Even Clampy had some support from his ghetto when he banked solo.
    S E C R E T S

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    I think it goes against if not the spirit of the game (being super team-based) then at least the spirit of the server. If there was a more solo-type of play, I think it would best be in another server.

Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    I think it goes against if not the spirit of the game (being super team-based) then at least the spirit of the server. If there was a more solo-type of play, I think it would best be in another server.
    Look at that, you just made a suggestion for solo play! Well done sir :P A kingdomless, aid-free server, excellent idea.
    S E C R E T S

Thread Information