Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Military Wage Rate

How long does it take to go from min ME to max ME? I thought it was 24 hours, but now I've heard other numbers..

Regular
    It's more complicated than that. It adjusts by 5% of the difference each tick.

Say you're at 50% wages and your ME has stopped dropping, then you raise your wages to 200%. After 1 tick your military will be functioning as though you were paying them 50 + 0.05*(200-50) = 57.5% wages.

Since the change is exponential you will never actually reach max ME, but you can get as close as damn it (where the difference is <1 point of off/def, or rounding occurs). For your military to function as though you were paying 199% wages takes 98 ticks, or just over 4 days.

Hope that's clear.
    Age 64: The Wise Baron Fall of Man (Undead)
    Age 65: The Wise Baron Mag Dox of Brakspear Triple (Human)
    Age 66: The Wealthy Lord Mojo of Sexual Chocolate (Dwarf)

Veteran
    Yeah, 118% OME on an attacker is really poor. 105% base ME and 5% ME sci takes you to 110% already, and you should be adding another 20% OME through TG pretty easily. A bit of basic honour gives you a few % bump, so 130% OME really should be no problem. Humans have a further bump in war as well, and warrior has +OME also.

Nice, thanks for a very clear answer RiffArt!
    Although the mathematician in me feels an urge to correct the language :P
    The change you're describing is logarithmic, not exponential. Exponential growth means that the increased ME would be greater each tick and never reach a maximum while logarithmic growth is exactly what you describe :-)

Anyway.. looks like I'm going to have to think now :P Need to think of a reasonable guideline when switching from 50 to 200 :P

Quote Originally Posted by burrap View Post
    The change you're describing is logarithmic, not exponential. Exponential growth means that the increased ME would be greater each tick and never reach a maximum while logarithmic growth is exactly what you describe :-)
    No. Exponential is the correct term. Logarithmic is just inverse exponential. Neither have a maximum value.

"Logistic growth" does have a maximum.

Regular
    Nice, thanks for a very clear answer RiffArt!
    You're welcome

y=1-e^-x

An exponential function with maximum at 1 :o

Anyway.. looks like I'm going to have to think now :P Need to think of a reasonable guideline when switching from 50 to 200 :P
    Yeah, it's a tricky one. The important question is, what do you want that extra ME for? Maybe the difference between acting at 190 and 199 wages is important, but more likely it isn't. If you're going into war you probably don't need the extra ME at the start (as an attacker anyway, you'll have enough off to break and low enough def to be broken), but as things progress that ME might make the difference between being able to hit or double your target, so you can allow the wage rate to phase in. If the other kd has larger provinces on the borderline of being UB the extra ME might be critical right at the start though.

I'm thinking that an economic way of answering this question would be to calculate (delta)gc/(delta)off for different times. i.e. if you go from 50 to 200% wages 21 hrs before an attack, you''ll be operating at 150% efficiency, whereas 39 hrs before an attack makes it 180% efficiency. Calculating 18 hrs of wage cost vs. the difference in offence in these two cases gives you the "cost" of that extra offence in gc. Then compare it to the cost of the extra units needed to make that difference in offence. At the point where these are equal would be your "sweetspot". I'm curious now, I'll give that a go sometime.

Post Fiend
    Can we do a compilation of the different ME levels at the different wage rates?

200% = +7.6%
    190% = + ???
    180% = +6.8% (mine)
    170% = + ???

Just add in yours and keep building the list. Make sure that you are at the stated wage % and not been hit for at least a week or so. I am assuming that wage bonus = ME - mil sci.

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by dieaready View Post
    Can we do a compilation of the different ME levels at the different wage rates?

200% = +7.6%
    190% = + ???
    180% = +6.8% (mine)
    170% = + ???

Just add in yours and keep building the list. Make sure that you are at the stated wage % and not been hit for at least a week or so. I am assuming that wage bonus = ME - mil sci.
    (B)ME = Wage Rate Effect * Science * GBP

And Wage Rate Effect = 0.6 + 0.4*(WageRate^0.25)

This is in the guide, so you can just plug in your wage rate (200% = 2 btw, 150% = 1.5 etc.)

Hope that helps you.

Post Fiend
    Ah thanks. I graphed it out and the line actually looks fairly linear, only with a very minor change in values. Also the result I got for 180% is 6.33%, but my current ME is 114.6% and my sci is 7.7%.

14.6 - 7.7 = 6.8%

However, if the wage bonus is multiplied, I get 1.145, or 114.5% OME, which is pretty close and I can assume the difference is due to rounding errors in the sci bonus. Looks like I've been doing it wrong...

Edit: I looked up the difference and it goes from 1.5% down to 0.6% in a gentle curve for every 10% difference in wages.
    Last edited by dieaready; 03-08-2015 at 14:54.

Thread Information